Marathon Training Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by nikuman View Post
    I'm training right now harder than I ever have before in my life. Running six days a week. Multiple speed workouts - hills, tempo runs, intervals, Yasso 800s, etc. Weights/yoga four days a week. Running 200 miles/month.

I feel great so far - not even any minor nagging aches or pains - but I've got some 60 mile weeks in a couple of months and I'm not sure how I'll do. I'm really hoping I will see the gains when race day comes around.

That sounds great - it will be interesting to hear about your race and thoughts on the additional training.

I've got my longest run in a while coming up tomorrow (12 miles). Coming back from injury sucks, and I think I have a tendency to want too much too soon - getting older sucks. I went for 7 last saturday, and 6 yesterday. So far so good.

I'd like to be able to run 5-6 times a week, but I know my legs can't handle that right now and I'll have to work into it.

This sounds weird - but I really enjoy running right now. I run in the mornings exclusively. I'll drive home in the evening and see someone out for a run and have an urge to go out again. I know I can't - I've already run that day or am running the next morning. Right now I've limited myself to 3 days a week; I'm looking forward to getting a good base again so that I can eventually add another day.

Seriously - I can't believe how much I like running.

Comment

• I've got my first 20-miler coming up tomorrow. I'm down to about 151 lbs and almost all of my runs are under 7mpm. I think I'm off to a good start this time.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eddie View Post
        That sounds great - it will be interesting to hear about your race and thoughts on the additional training.

I've got my longest run in a while coming up tomorrow (12 miles). Coming back from injury sucks, and I think I have a tendency to want too much too soon - getting older sucks. I went for 7 last saturday, and 6 yesterday. So far so good.

I'd like to be able to run 5-6 times a week, but I know my legs can't handle that right now and I'll have to work into it.

This sounds weird - but I really enjoy running right now. I run in the mornings exclusively. I'll drive home in the evening and see someone out for a run and have an urge to go out again. I know I can't - I've already run that day or am running the next morning. Right now I've limited myself to 3 days a week; I'm looking forward to getting a good base again so that I can eventually add another day.

Seriously - I can't believe how much I like running.
        I feel the exact same way. Except I do go out again at night a couple of times a week. Just a quick mile with my daughter usually. When I start training for the Goofy, I'm going to add some more. I plan on adding 10% per week for the rest of the year.
        Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sea Chicken View Post
          I've got my first 20-miler coming up tomorrow. I'm down to about 151 lbs and almost all of my runs are under 7mpm. I think I'm off to a good start this time.
          Wait a cotton-picking second here. Are you telling me that after taking a month off with a sprained ankle that you just came back, are doing 7:00 miles and are ready for a 20 miler?!?!

Man, I really suck at this running thing.

Comment

• Originally posted by nikuman View Post
            I plan on adding 10% per week for the rest of the year.
            Umm, I'm not sure that you've fully thought this thing through, yet.

Unless you have no plans to be gainfully employed come November, I'm trying to figure out how how you are going to do this. With 42 more weeks left this year, that puts you at 2,489 miles per week at the end of the year.

Comment

• Originally posted by bluegoose View Post
              Wait a cotton-picking second here. Are you telling me that after taking a month off with a sprained ankle that you just came back, are doing 7:00 miles and are ready for a 20 miler?!?!

I have to admit - these are the EXACT thoughts I was having. I just didn't say them out loud.

Comment

• Originally posted by bluegoose View Post

Wait. I'm the one that sucks. I meant to say under 8:00, not 7.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sea Chicken View Post
                  Wait. I'm the one that sucks. I meant to say under 8:00, not 7.
                  Whew! Still impressive, but not otherworldly.

Originally posted by bluegoose View Post
                  Umm, I'm not sure that you've fully thought this thing through, yet.

Unless you have no plans to be gainfully employed come November, I'm trying to figure out how how you are going to do this. With 42 more weeks left this year, that puts you at 2,489 miles per week at the end of the year.
                  Yeah, I hadn't actually done the math. Oops. That'd be a helluva week, though.

I'm hoping to have a base of about 50 miles a week with training mileage up in the 70s by the Goofy cycle. I'm going to be using a modified ultra training plan (still in the process of modification). I'm doing 40 miles a week right now and feeling strong.

Comment

• I was able to do my second 20 miler this weekend. It went fairly well. My pace still dropped off quite a bit at mile 17 or 18, but I didn't bonk in spectacular fashion like I did 2 weeks ago.

It also reinforced to me that 3:30 is totally unreasonable this year. 3:40 is my new adjusted goal.

In the best news of an otherwise lousy week for this Cougar fan, Saturday was the first time that my knee has been totally pain-free since Jan 1st.

Comment

• Anybody ever heard of using the ToU as a training run for the St. George? It would mean only a two week taper, but I'm considering it.

My wife is currently training for her first half marathon in Indy in May. I'm pretty sure that, once she finishes, I'll be able to talk her into the full in Logan, and I'd run it with her at probably a 10:00 to 10:30 pace. I'm thinking that if I do that, I might be able to run St. George two weeks later and try for a PR. I'm just starting my training now after much of the winter off, but I'm feeling good, and I have enough time that I could get a really good base before training hard this summer. What do y'all think?
                      sigpic
                      "Outlined against a blue, gray
                      October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
                      Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

• I think it sounds like a good plan, assuming that you have enough miles in your legs to recover quickly.

My SIL did a similar thing last year, running Billings 2 weeks before StG. She ran both pretty hard, though, and actually ran 10 minutes faster in StG (3:35 vs 3:25, I believe).

I've never been able to put enough miles in to pull something like that off. You are starting early enough and have enough experience that i think that you could make it work.

Comment

• Originally posted by cowboy View Post
                          Anybody ever heard of using the ToU as a training run for the St. George? It would mean only a two week taper, but I'm considering it.

My wife is currently training for her first half marathon in Indy in May. I'm pretty sure that, once she finishes, I'll be able to talk her into the full in Logan, and I'd run it with her at probably a 10:00 to 10:30 pace. I'm thinking that if I do that, I might be able to run St. George two weeks later and try for a PR. I'm just starting my training now after much of the winter off, but I'm feeling good, and I have enough time that I could get a really good base before training hard this summer. What do y'all think?
                          My wife did this a few years ago and really regretted it. The first half of TOU is a really big descent and can be hard on the knees. She felt it in St G and really wished she wouldn't have. She probably ran a little too fast in TOU, but she did try to hold off a little.
                          At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
                          -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

• Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
                            My wife did this a few years ago and really regretted it. The first half of TOU is a really big descent and can be hard on the knees. She felt it in St G and really wished she wouldn't have. She probably ran a little too fast in TOU, but she did try to hold off a little.
                            I don't think the TOU was hard on my knees at all, but two weeks is a short taper for me. I need the 3.

Comment

• I'm looking to run a marathong and was thinking of the SLC one next year but my brother, who will run it with me, wants to do either the TOU or St. George. Any tips on which one would be best for a marathon virgin?

Also, Niku, how in the crap am I going to train for a marathon to be ran in September when I live in Houston? Would you recommend me buying a treadmill or can one survive running 20 miles in August in Houston?
                              "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Eddie Jones View Post
                                I'm looking to run a marathong and was thinking of the SLC one next year but my brother, who will run it with me, wants to do either the TOU or St. George. Any tips on which one would be best for a marathon virgin?

Also, Niku, how in the crap am I going to train for a marathon to be ran in September when I live in Houston? Would you recommend me buying a treadmill or can one survive running 20 miles in August in Houston?
                                St george is approaching legendary status at this point and I would live to run it. I did love TOU though. I'd run either with you too. TOU is smaller and sort of cozy - I loved running that with cowboy.

Training in August in Houston is about getting up at the freaking buttcrack of dawn and running, learning to deal with massive amounts of sweat, carrying a ton of water with you, and knowing when to call it quits. It will test you mentally, which is great prep for the race itself. Run outside - the struggle us worth it. But carry a cell phone.

Comment

Working...
                                X