Marathon Training Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sea Chicken View Post
    Well, I've got the old thing down already.
    I would have to be 75+ years old to qualify for Boston with my finish time from Ogden last year.

If everything goes well, I'm hoping that this year's finishing time will cut 10-15 years off of the age I would have to be to qualify. Which would still be 20 years older than my actual age.

In all reality - I suppose it could be kind of fun as a beginner to watch your times decrease while you age increases and the margin between qualifying and not qualifying growing more narrow with each race and from year to year.

Comment

• We had some crappy weather here this week, with high winds, rain and even a couple of rare days of snow. What little running I did was on the treadmill. My knee actually felt great for much of the week, telling me that if I were not deep into marathon training and were able to take a couple of weeks off that I'm sure it would get better quickly.

This morning I set out early with temps about 37 degrees and light rain. I came down for almost 2 hours straight. Nothing too hard, but I was still pretty wet.

I made it the full 20 miles on a mostly flat course with a few rolling hills. At the half marathon I was at 1:46. When I hit the 15 mile mark I was still averaging 8:09. Miles 16 and 17 was also okay, but the wheels came off at mile 18. My average plummeted from there, and my last mile was well over 11:00. Granted it was all uphill back to the car, but my hips were dead tired and there was nothing i could do to pick up the pace.

Hopefully I'll be able to finish the next few long runs feeling a little better. I'm not sure that I could have finished 6 more today without destroying my legs.

8 weeks to go. I've got my plane ticket, so I'm all in.

Comment

• Originally posted by bluegoose View Post
        We had some crappy weather here this week, with high winds, rain and even a couple of rare days of snow. What little running I did was on the treadmill. My knee actually felt great for much of the week, telling me that if I were not deep into marathon training and were able to take a couple of weeks off that I'm sure it would get better quickly.

This morning I set out early with temps about 37 degrees and light rain. I came down for almost 2 hours straight. Nothing too hard, but I was still pretty wet.

I made it the full 20 miles on a mostly flat course with a few rolling hills. At the half marathon I was at 1:46. When I hit the 15 mile mark I was still averaging 8:09. Miles 16 and 17 was also okay, but the wheels came off at mile 18. My average plummeted from there, and my last mile was well over 11:00. Granted it was all uphill back to the car, but my hips were dead tired and there was nothing i could do to pick up the pace.

Hopefully I'll be able to finish the next few long runs feeling a little better. I'm not sure that I could have finished 6 more today without destroying my legs.

8 weeks to go. I've got my plane ticket, so I'm all in.
        What's your target time - do I recall you saying that you were shooting for a 3:30? I presume you have two more twenties to go?
        Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

• Originally posted by nikuman View Post
          What's your target time - do I recall you saying that you were shooting for a 3:30? I presume you have two more twenties to go?
          3:30 was my goal a couple of months ago, but now I've adjusted it to a 3:40. An 8:00 pace on a long run is a bit out of my comfort zone, while 8:15 is much more realistic. I have 3 more days set aside for 20 milers, but I'm sure that I will drop one of them somewhere along the way.

Comment

• I took some personal advice from teenage dirtbag this week and not be a slave to the schedule. I cut my long saturday run out to recover. Legs are coming around and noticed I was having some pain in my bad knee. That is coming around too. Will be back on schedule for Tuesdays run.

Comment

3:30 was my goal a couple of months ago, but now I've adjusted it to a 3:40. An 8:00 pace on a long run is a bit out of my comfort zone, while 8:15 is much more realistic. I have 3 more days set aside for 20 milers, but I'm sure that I will drop one of them somewhere along the way.
              That's my "reach" goal for my next marathon. I'm trying something new this training cycle - I'm doing a 20, a 21 and a 23, with a goal of running the 23 miles in 3:40 so I'm out on the road for the same time as the actual race but without the same stress and speed (I'm running my long runs at 9:30-9:45).

Comment

• OK, all you distance-running bastages, I've always read your posts and you're to blame for this. I'm about to sign up the missus and me for the Disneyland Half Marathon. It's the first Sunday in September, so between the race itself and the Sabbath-breaking thing, I'm sure I'm doomed. Still, I must do this. Mrs. PAC has never run more than 3.5 miles in her life, but she's in great shape (rides >100 miles weekly, works out at the gym 2-3 days/week, and has a resting HR of 42). The farthest I've run is 7 miles, but can do a 10K at a 9:10 pace.

We've signed up for our toughest cycling century yet (that's in April), and we've got the CUF Ride in early August, so we're highly motivated to improve our fitness. All of the reports in this and other running/cycling threads have been very inspiring to us.

I have a couple of questions, and will no doubt have more when we start training in earnest this summer...

The Disney site provides a link to Jeff Galloway training programs (from 12-18 weeks, depending on fitness level and goal). Is that as good a plan to follow as any?

One can sign up for a Pasta in the Park Party the afternoon/evening before. It includes park admission and a couple of other perks, but is it worth the $109 fee? For a once-in-a-lifetime event I don't want to go cheap, and I want the full experience. Would you sign up for it?

I'm counting on the CUF Collective to get us ready for this.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                  OK, all you distance-running bastages, I've always read your posts and you're to blame for this. I'm about to sign up the missus and me for the Disneyland Half Marathon. It's the first Sunday in September, so between the race itself and the Sabbath-breaking thing, I'm sure I'm doomed. Still, I must do this. Mrs. PAC has never run more than 3.5 miles in her life, but she's in great shape (rides >100 miles weekly, works out at the gym 2-3 days/week, and has a resting HR of 42). The farthest I've run is 7 miles, but can do a 10K at a 9:10 pace.

We've signed up for our toughest cycling century yet (that's in April), and we've got the CUF Ride in early August, so we're highly motivated to improve our fitness. All of the reports in this and other running/cycling threads have been very inspiring to us.

I have a couple of questions, and will no doubt have more when we start training in earnest this summer...

The Disney site provides a link to Jeff Galloway training programs (from 12-18 weeks, depending on fitness level and goal). Is that as good a plan to follow as any?

One can sign up for a Pasta in the Park Party the afternoon/evening before. It includes park admission and a couple of other perks, but is it worth the $109 fee? For a once-in-a-lifetime event I don't want to go cheap, and I want the full experience. Would you sign up for it?

I'm counting on the CUF Collective to get us ready for this.
                  Galloway has a deal with Disney of some sort, so they always suggest his plans. I'm not a fan of the run/walk strategy (in Higdon we trust) but some like it.

Coach will perhaps have more to say about the pasta in the park party but I usually skip them and go for my own trusted food instead.

I will see you there too. I'm running it with an aunt and two cousins.

Comment

• Excellent news PAC! I'm sure that you guys will do great with a good summer to prepare. As you know, I love cycling. But I have really enjoyed cross training a bit more the past 3 years with running.

I'm with nikuman on the Galloway programs. They are designed to get you to finish an event and to feel fairly well in doing so. He claims to be able to increase your finish time if done right, but I'm really skeptical.

Solon has followed Galloways method to finish several marathons in the past, so he would be the person to ask.

I really like Hal Higdons program. The beginner program would be a good one to check into to see if you like it or not.

Comment

• That is great news PAC! I will see you there. Pasta in the park is overpriced IMO, and as such, I have never attended.

In other sad news, the pain in my knee has not gone away. I am getting worried here. I am giving another week to heal, but I need to get back on track, dammit!

Comment

• I appreciate the counsel and good wishes. We're signed up, but we'll likely pass on the Disney pasta party. We hope to stay with my BIL (he of Prop. 8 infamy) in adjacent Villa Park.

I'm looking forward to following everyone's training regimens in the months ahead and, one hopes, seeing some of you before the start of the race.

Comment

• I had a good run this morning. 2 intervals at tempo pace of 10 minutes each. Felt pretty good throughout, as the first set I averaged 7:30 and the second set was closer to 7:15.

Last week was bad for me. Lousy weather along with a very busy work/family/church schedule. So it was nice to start this week on a good note.

Saturday was a recovery run for me after the 20 miler the previous week. I had planned to do 12 miles, but ran out of time and settled for 10 miles. It was pretty cold, which usually doesn't bother me, but I felt extra sluggish that day.

Hoping for a good track interval workout on Wednesday and my second 20 miler on Saturday if all goes well and the weather cooperates.

Comment

I had a good run this morning. 2 intervals at tempo pace of 10 minutes each. Felt pretty good throughout, as the first set I averaged 7:30 and the second set was closer to 7:15.

Last week was bad for me. Lousy weather along with a very busy work/family/church schedule. So it was nice to start this week on a good note.

Saturday was a recovery run for me after the 20 miler the previous week. I had planned to do 12 miles, but ran out of time and settled for 10 miles. It was pretty cold, which usually doesn't bother me, but I felt extra sluggish that day.

Hoping for a good track interval workout on Wednesday and my second 20 miler on Saturday if all goes well and the weather cooperates.
                            bg, how do you balance cycling and running?
                            Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• Originally posted by camleish View Post
                              bg, how do you balance cycling and running?
                              Its very seasonal for me. I never give one up completely throughout the year, but I would hardly call it a very good balance. Right now I ride the trainer about 2 days a week for 30-45 minutes. I use it for my recovery days and really am hoping to just not get in terrible biking shape leading up to my marathon. Once the SL marathon is over I will shift it completely the other way and ride 3-4 days per week and run about 2 days. The Tour de CUF will be a huge motivator for me as of April 17th.

Its not perfect and i have no idea how real triathletes do it, but it works okay for me having a fairly busy schedule.

Comment

• I'm training right now harder than I ever have before in my life. Running six days a week. Multiple speed workouts - hills, tempo runs, intervals, Yasso 800s, etc. Weights/yoga four days a week. Running 200 miles/month.

I feel great so far - not even any minor nagging aches or pains - but I've got some 60 mile weeks in a couple of months and I'm not sure how I'll do. I'm really hoping I will see the gains when race day comes around.

Comment

Working...
                                X