No announcement yet.

Marathon Training Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• absolutely stunned how fast my legs have recovered from the 12 miles on Saturday. I was nervous at first knowing I had another 13 miles coming up this Saturday and normally when I have done my halfs, I am not ready to run another a week later. I am enjoying running more as well. Overall this is turning into a great experience.

Comment

• The Boston Marathon just got tougher to get into.
      http://www.baa.org/news-and-press/ne...n-process.aspx
      Starting in 2013 qualifying times are 5 minutes faster and they have a rolling registration, so the faster runners get in first.

Comment

• Also, in previous years, they gave you an extra 59 seconds (if the qualifying time was 3:20, you could run 3:20:59 and still get in). They are discontinuing that in 2013 too.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sea Chicken View Post
          The Boston Marathon just got tougher to get into.
          http://www.baa.org/news-and-press/ne...n-process.aspx
          Starting in 2013 qualifying times are 5 minutes faster and they have a rolling registration, so the faster runners get in first.
          So it went from being next to impossible for me to qualify to being absolutely and completely impossible to qualify. 3:10?!?!?! Yeah, right.

Comment

• Originally posted by bluegoose View Post
            So it went from being next to impossible for me to qualify to being absolutely and completely impossible to qualify. 3:10?!?!?! Yeah, right.
            run faster

Comment

run faster
              Turn 55 next year

Comment

• What can I do to get some life back in my legs? See that post above? Well just because they feel good doesn't mean they work. My legs are dead.

Comment

• Originally posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
                  What can I do to get some life back in my legs? See that post above? Well just because they feel good doesn't mean they work. My legs are dead.
                  Are you cross training at all? Try a spin on the trainer for 30 or 45 minutes and see if that brings them back to life.

My wife and her friends always wade into the river near where we live after a long run, and they swear it does wonders for their legs. The water is about 40 degrees. An ice bath should do the trick.

Comment

Are you cross training at all? Try a spin on the trainer for 30 or 45 minutes and see if that brings them back to life.

My wife and her friends always wade into the river near where we live after a long run, and they swear it does wonders for their legs. The water is about 40 degrees. An ice bath should do the trick.
                    I did this in Montana - ran 19 miles over a mountain at an elevation 4500 feet above what I was used to at a pace that was too fast for a run that long, and then went and played in the Missouri river for two hours afterwards. Amazing what it did to my legs, and more fun than an ice bath.
                    Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

Sundays are cross training. I did miss this sunday, so that could be the issue. I will try the ice trick, but man I hate cold water.

I just can't believe how tired my legs were today. First day my lungs have outlasted the legs and that discouraged me.

Comment

• I've never done the ice bath for my legs (I've been soaking my ankle in a bucket of ice water and it hurts like hell), but while I was training for the last marathon, after a 20-miler I would jump in the pool and it made a big difference in recovery. When I went on that long run in NYC, my hotel didn't have a pool, so I filled up the tub before leaving and soaked when I got back.

Comment

I have a friend who served a mission in Boston and it has been his dream to run it. I've always figured if he did I would go with him - not that either of us are in any danger of qualifying right away.

Having it harder doesn't help - but I think I am years away (and he more than that) from this being something we have to worry about.

This week I've been walking 2 minutes and then running 4, alternating. Did nearly 6 miles this morning. Leg still feels good. Going to try 10 on Saturday - optimistic that I'll be good to go to straight running next week.

Comment

• I'm in a new age group this year, so my BQ time is 3:30. I ran TOU in 3:37 last fall. With Ogden being a faster course and my grand plan to be skinnier and faster by May, I was hoping to qualify. I'll still shoot for it and see what happens. Maybe I can still hang my hat on being a "Boston Qualifier" without actually running the race -- maybe.

Comment

Maybe I can still hang my hat on being a "Boston Qualifier" without actually running the race -- maybe.
                              This is my ultimate goal. I'm going to need to get a LOT faster. And probably older too, before that happens.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eddie View Post
                                This is my ultimate goal. I'm going to need to get a LOT faster. And probably older too, before that happens.
                                Well, I've got the old thing down already.

Comment

Working...
                                X