No announcement yet.

Marathon Training Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I did not run this morning, as a show of solidarity with h8tr and his injury.

Comment

• Originally posted by bluegoose View Post
      First guess is it could be bursitis or possibly pes anserine tendonitis. Shouldn't be anything too serious that a few days off can't fix. (famous last words)
      Thanks, it is still hurting this morning, but not quite as much. In looking at that, I'm guessing it is probably tendonitis. I currently run in Nike+ Structured Air Triax 11's because of my overpronation and in looking at the wear on the shoes (heavy wear on the outside of the heals), I think I may need to try some motion control shoes instead as I would assume that based on the wear pattern that I am still overpronating quite a bit even in the structured shoes. Also, I used to just run on the sidewalks in the past, but I started running on the street instead along the white line (not a very busy street, especially at 6 am) and the side of the road is at an angle. I always run facing traffic, so my left leg is always planting lower than my right leg. I think I will start running on the Jordan River Parkway instead so I can still stay off of pavement, but have a more even path to run on.
      "I don't mind giving the church 10% of my earnings, but 50% of my weekend mornings? Not as long as DirecTV NFL Sunday Ticket is around." - Daniel Tosh

Comment

• Today's workout was a killer. Mad after my travel saga, I took it out on the run.

Distance: 13.2 miles (yes, that's a half marathon goosey).
        Pace: 9:39 per mile
        Time: 2'07" and change
        Calories: 1855 burned

Time of day done: the wrong time. Especially for Houston.

I did remember to hydrate on the run this time, though. I got a cramp in my foot that slowed me down for the last 3 miles or so.
        Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

• I put in my last pre-marathon long run today. I did 20.3 miles at a 8:49 pace. I felt pretty gross the whole way, but slogged on through it. Maybe last night's nachos weren't the best idea. Next week I'm on "vacation" at the in-laws in Utah and then it's marathon week.

Comment

• Originally posted by ewth8tr View Post
            Thanks, it is still hurting this morning, but not quite as much. In looking at that, I'm guessing it is probably tendonitis. I currently run in Nike+ Structured Air Triax 11's because of my overpronation and in looking at the wear on the shoes (heavy wear on the outside of the heals), I think I may need to try some motion control shoes instead as I would assume that based on the wear pattern that I am still overpronating quite a bit even in the structured shoes. Also, I used to just run on the sidewalks in the past, but I started running on the street instead along the white line (not a very busy street, especially at 6 am) and the side of the road is at an angle. I always run facing traffic, so my left leg is always planting lower than my right leg. I think I will start running on the Jordan River Parkway instead so I can still stay off of pavement, but have a more even path to run on.
            If you overpronate, you're still going to wear out the outside heel in a motion-control shoe. The shoe can't really control how you come down on it; it can affect how you step through it.
            At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
            -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

• Nice work, Niku. You can imagine my disappointment after logging in my 12 miler this morning only to realize that I LOST miles to you in our challenge. If I knew that was going to happen I may have stopped after 11 like I was supposed to.

My totals: 12.02 miles
              Time 1:38
              Avg 8:13/mile
              Calories burned ~1400 (I'm pretty sure I've already more than made up for my negative calorie balance today. Sushi to follow tonight.)

Comment

• I just need to let you Nike+ folks know that my sensor battery has died. I have not quit running.

Comment

• Originally posted by bluegoose View Post
                  Nice work, Niku. You can imagine my disappointment after logging in my 12 miler this morning only to realize that I LOST miles to you in our challenge. If I knew that was going to happen I may have stopped after 11 like I was supposed to.

My totals: 12.02 miles
                  Time 1:38
                  Avg 8:13/mile
                  Calories burned ~1400 (I'm pretty sure I've already more than made up for my negative calorie balance today. Sushi to follow tonight.)
                  Yeah, I hosted UFC at my house tonight. Same thing on the calories. I weighed in at 192 this morning. Came back from my run at 183.9. Now I'm back up to 190.

Don't give up yet, though. I'm pretty sure my cramp wasn't really a cramp, and if it doesn't feel better by Monday I'm going to be taking it easy next week.

Comment

• I haven't run since Wed.

Thurs was a planned day off, but I also had to take 15 hours of continuing ed courses on Thurs and Fri to renew my appraisal license next month, so I didn't get out. And yesterday I woke up with chills, a headache and no energy, so I bagged the Saturday run, too. I guess I'll have fresh legs for Wasatch Back.

Comment

• This morning's run sucked. Only 6.5 miles but it was pouring rain, I had to drop a deuce and this ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Sea Chicken View Post
                        This morning's run sucked. Only 6.5 miles but it was pouring rain, I had to drop a deuce and this ...

That picture alone is making my nipples shrivel in fear.

Comment

• Originally posted by nikuman View Post
                          That picture alone is making my nipples shrivel in fear.
                          cotton = BAD

Comment

• Originally posted by Sea Chicken View Post
                            It's called Under Armour. Use it.

I had to drop a deuce ...
                            This brings up another question - Does anyone have any ideas on how to avoid this? Not to be too detailed, but mine are morning bowels, and getting up to run first thing in the morning without waiting around an hour or two pretty much guarantees that I'll be stopping behind a bush along the way.

The real problem comes when I travel, because traveling has a definite compacting affect on my innards. So when I'm on the road, I can't wait 'till the morning movement has cleared because there is no morning movement; but then as soon as I take off on a run, I'm ready to blow a sphincter by mile 5. This is especially a concern because any marathon I run will require travel, so I'm pretty much forced to factor in a ten minute stop to my time. Any ideas?
                            sigpic
                            "Outlined against a blue, gray
                            October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
                            Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

• Originally posted by cowboy View Post
                              This brings up another question - Does anyone have any ideas on how to avoid this? Not to be too detailed, but mine are morning bowels, and getting up to run first thing in the morning without waiting around an hour or two pretty much guarantees that I'll be stopping behind a bush along the way.
                              I don't know the answer, but I do know that missing your morning floppage can make a good run go bad. So very, very bad.

Comment

• Wow. The last topic I want to participate, but for you, cowboy...

Try eating earlier in the evening the night before, if possible, and keeping it to light carbs for evening snacks. Then drink a glass of hot water (or herbal tea or cocoa if you need the flavor) as soon as you get up--blast that whole WoW coffee thing. When traveling, have something warm to drink in the evening as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X