Marathon Training Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Parrot Head View Post
    Nice job on the run, Mol. If it made niku back off some, then big props to you for getting out on the road.

Also, niku, did you say you're wearing Mizunos now? Which model? Our local rep was supposed to bring some new Inspires to a group run recently but they didn't arrive in time so I tried out another pair. I want to give the Inspires a good test run to see if they would fit well for training, but I've tried the Elixir on a quick test and liked those also. Being cheap, though, I'm not quick to drop a lot of money on a new shoe when I know my Asics treat me well.
    That's what I've been using for the last few months. Mine are a neutral shoe called Wave Rider 15. Love 'em.
    So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

Nice job on the run, Mol. If it made niku back off some, then big props to you for getting out on the road.

Also, niku, did you say you're wearing Mizunos now? Which model? Our local rep was supposed to bring some new Inspires to a group run recently but they didn't arrive in time so I tried out another pair. I want to give the Inspires a good test run to see if they would fit well for training, but I've tried the Elixir on a quick test and liked those also. Being cheap, though, I'm not quick to drop a lot of money on a new shoe when I know my Asics treat me well.
      I've been mostly in the Wave Rider 16, which I love, Love, LOVE for long distance hauls (I'll be running the Marathon part of the Disney in them). I was using some Saucony Ride 5s but hated them (I liked the original Ride and ran my second marathon in them, but have had nothing but problems with the 5s). Of the 220 miles I did in the challenge, I did probably 2/3rds in my Wave Riders.

I just bought a pair of Precision 13s (I can't find them on the website) which are what I'll use in the half marathon portion and for the Ironman in May.

When I'm truly racing I will use the Kinvara 3s for up to a marathon (that's what I ran St. George in) but with the increased mileage I felt I needed a bit more cushioning and support. I have not been sorry about that choice.

EDIT: The difference between what I'm running in and what MG is running in is that some of the overlays were removed and it's a bit lighter (I think my size 12s come in at about 10 oz, but I could be wrong. Anyway, I used to think that Mizuno was kinda gimmicky with their wave deal but I'm a big fan now.
      Last edited by Pheidippides; 01-06-2013, 07:09 PM.
      Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

• Originally posted by nikuman View Post
        I've been mostly in the Wave Rider 16, which I love, Love, LOVE for long distance hauls (I'll be running the Marathon part of the Disney in them). I was using some Saucony Ride 5s but hated them (I liked the original Ride and ran my second marathon in them, but have had nothing but problems with the 5s). Of the 220 miles I did in the challenge, I did probably 2/3rds in my Wave Riders.

I just bought a pair of Precision 13s (I can't find them on the website) which are what I'll use in the half marathon portion and for the Ironman in May.

When I'm truly racing I will use the Kinvara 3s for up to a marathon (that's what I ran St. George in) but with the increased mileage I felt I needed a bit more cushioning and support. I have not been sorry about that choice.

EDIT: The difference between what I'm running in and what MG is running in is that some of the overlays were removed and it's a bit lighter (I think my size 12s come in at about 10 oz, but I could be wrong. Anyway, I used to think that Mizuno was kinda gimmicky with their wave deal but I'm a big fan now.
        I checked out RoadRunner and the Rider 16 is what I wore when the rep didn't have the Inspire 9s on him. I liked those and would be tempted to go with them but I'd like to take the slightly more supportive Inspires for a spin.

Do you have the Duck-flavored Precision? I like the look of these!

I have nothing else to say at this time.

Comment

I checked out RoadRunner and the Rider 16 is what I wore when the rep didn't have the Inspire 9s on him. I liked those and would be tempted to go with them but I'd like to take the slightly more supportive Inspires for a spin.

Do you have the Duck-flavored Precision? I like the look of these!

Nope, I have these:

Comment

• After taking Nov. and Dec. off to give my leg time to rest/heal, I'm back at it. This week I'll start my training for the 1/2 in June. I'm not starting on anything structured right now. I'm focusing on starting slow. I've run 4 miles each of the past two weeks, and I'm going to bump that up to 6 this week. I just want to get to the point that I can start a bona fide training program by March 1, so I have 12 weeks to do the program. I'm looking to start with Hal Higdon Novice 1 which starts out at 12 miles in week one.
            Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats.
            - Howard Aiken

Any sufficiently complicated platform contains an ad hoc, informally-specified, bug-ridden, slow implementation of half of a functional programming language.
            - Variation on Greenspun's Tenth Rule

Comment

• My last two pair of regular-use shoes have been Mizuno Wave Inspires (the 8 and 9). I know shoes are a personal fit thing, but I don't know that there's a better combination of support, not too much cushioning (who likes running on pillows?) but enough, and good weight for its class.

Comment

• Originally posted by bluegoose View Post
                What about Newport, OR? A bit of a longer drive for you, but still manageable. June 1st, which is a great time to race in Oregon. And it's pancake flat.

Steelblue has been looking to do this one for years. If I were to do a summer marathon this is the one I would do. Its just not a great time of year for me.
                Hmm.

The mrs. would prefer Vancouver, as there's a lot more to do. Just so spendy to go run around!

Comment

• This is what I have:

About due for a new pair though.

Comment

• Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
                    The Holiday Challenge really has me wanting to do a marathon this year. The hard part is finding one around here that works. The Seattle marathon is the same weekend as Thanksgiving, which is just really crappy timing (both for the weather around here and the fact that it's Thanksgiving). Portland is early October, which is not as bad, except there's no way I could be ready for that one given my work schedule. My best shot is Vancouver, which falling in mid-May is a pretty ideal weather/work schedule for me, but I just checked it out and the damn thing is $150. I'm not sure I can pay $150 to just go run around.
                    What about going down the road a little for the marathon in Track Town, USA. You might even be able to use the famed HFN in-home urinal.

Originally posted by lambdacoug View Post
                    After taking Nov. and Dec. off to give my leg time to rest/heal, I'm back at it. This week I'll start my training for the 1/2 in June. I'm not starting on anything structured right now. I'm focusing on starting slow. I've run 4 miles each of the past two weeks, and I'm going to bump that up to 6 this week. I just want to get to the point that I can start a bona fide training program by March 1, so I have 12 weeks to do the program. I'm looking to start with Hal Higdon Novice 1 which starts out at 12 miles in week one.
                    I saw your half is listed in this month's Runner's World as one of the top halfs -- but it appears to not be the flattest one around. Good luck training and enjoy it.

Btw, the Newport Marathon looks awesome. Is that race-week niku leading the way and did they Photoshop #563 into the pic with his early 90s tee and cargo shorts? And check out 800 on the left side -- I think she came over from a taping of Wipe Out because she forgot to remove her helmet.

I have nothing else to say at this time.

Comment

• Signed up today for the Thanksgiving Point Half at the end of April. Hoping to get between 2 and 2:15
                      Will donate kidney for B12 membership.

Comment

I saw your half is listed in this month's Runner's World as one of the top halfs -- but it appears to not be the flattest one around. Good luck training and enjoy it.
                        Yeah, it isn't called the hospital hill half for nothing. Running in all these 5k and 10k races has been a great way to get to know the city. This one will be a nice tour of downtown, the Plaza, Crown Center and the WWI memorial. Lots and lots of hills...

Sent from a Jelly Bean
                        Last edited by lambdacoug; 01-08-2013, 07:03 AM. Reason: * - I should actually check the race map before commenting on it... :(
                        Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats.
                        - Howard Aiken

Any sufficiently complicated platform contains an ad hoc, informally-specified, bug-ridden, slow implementation of half of a functional programming language.
                        - Variation on Greenspun's Tenth Rule

Comment

• This weekend's races are upon me. I leave early Thursday morning.

Three days. Three races. 42.4 miles. The so-called Dopey Challenge.

I am in the best endurance shape of my life, but I am also 10 pounds heavier than St. George (you heard that right: I gained 10 pounds during the Holiday Challenge). And the weather is not cooperating - 60 degrees is the forecast low. So this is going to demand some toughness if I'm going to finish the half and full in less than a cumulative six hours. The hair has been cut and the manscaping has been done - it's go time.

Good luck to everybody else this weekend!

Comment

• Best of luck to everyone running at Walt Disney World this weekend.
                            "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

• Originally posted by nikuman View Post
                              This weekend's races are upon me. I leave early Thursday morning.

Three days. Three races. 42.4 miles. The so-called Dopey Challenge.

I am in the best endurance shape of my life, but I am also 10 pounds heavier than St. George (you heard that right: I gained 10 pounds during the Holiday Challenge). And the weather is not cooperating - 60 degrees is the forecast low. So this is going to demand some toughness if I'm going to finish the half and full in less than a cumulative six hours. The hair has been cut and the manscaping has been done - it's go time.

Good luck to everybody else this weekend!
                              50,000 runners and I run into niku. lol.

Half mary tomorrow. I've got ten days of cruise food on me, I've lost my altitude blood doing advantage, it's hot, and I spent the day walking all over epcot after waking at 4:30 for the 5k. Excuses, check.

Good luck to everyone tomorrow (and whatever niku will need the next day)
                              At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
                              -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

• Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
                                50,000 runners and I run into niku. lol.

Half mary tomorrow. I've got ten days of cruise food on me, I've lost my altitude blood doing advantage, it's hot, and I spent the day walking all over epcot after waking at 4:30 for the 5k. Excuses, check.

Good luck to everyone tomorrow (and whatever niku will need the next day)
                                I had the same thought. Massive crowd of people, so of course I run into ER and family, and then let my sleep-deprived dad regale him with stories of cockroaches in the port-o-can.

Good luck all. I'm off to bed soon.

Comment

Working...
                                X