Marathon Training Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Topper View Post
    Is that marathon running UP Mount Charleston or down Mt Charleston? Big difference.
    How should I know?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Is that marathon running UP Mount Charleston or down Mt Charleston? Big difference.
      Down. Something like 5,000 feet net elevation loss over 26.2.

Comment

• Originally posted by bluegoose View Post
        That would hurt after. So not an official time.
        "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

That would hurt after. So not an official time.
          I wouldn't be able to go down stairs for a week, I'm sure. But its a Boston Qualifier. One of the fastest in the country. Something like 30% of all entries qualify. Canyon City in LA is the only one faster, I believe, with 40% of all runners getting a BQT.

Comment

The Vegas Ragnar follows (or followed) that course, beginning at the ski resort. The runners that had those lengths were super fast, but their quads and knees were hurting pretty good when they got down.
            Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
              The Vegas Ragnar follows (or followed) that course, beginning at the ski resort. The runners that had those lengths were super fast, but their quads and knees were hurting pretty good when they got down.
              Yeah my knees ache just thinking about that sort of run.
              "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• I've got my 2018 marathon narrowed down to Eugene in April or Ogden in May. Eugene is pretty flat and at 500 feet elevation, which is almost identical to my normal training runs. Ogden is about a 1,200 foot net elevation loss, with a few rollers mixed in.

Both are supposed to be very scenic, with the Ogden Canyon being its big draw, and the Willamette river trail being the highlight in Eugene. Finishing on Hayward Field is a huge plus.

The marathon converter has Eugene about 4 minutes faster, based on the higher overall elevation in Ogden.

Comment

I've got my 2018 marathon narrowed down to Eugene in April or Ogden in May. Eugene is pretty flat and at 500 feet elevation, which is almost identical to my normal training runs. Ogden is about a 1,200 foot net elevation loss, with a few rollers mixed in.

Both are supposed to be very scenic, with the Ogden Canyon being its big draw, and the Willamette river trail being the highlight in Eugene. Finishing on Hayward Field is a huge plus.

The marathon converter has Eugene about 4 minutes faster, based on the higher overall elevation in Ogden.
                  Let me know. I call dibs at staying at HFN's house if it is Eugene.

My training has fallen off, I need some motivation.

My wife was super pissed at me that I didn't register us for Mt Charleston. Like I am the only one in the house with a credit card. So find a good one for me.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
                    Let me know. I call dibs at staying at HFN's house if it is Eugene.

My training has fallen off, I need some motivation.

My wife was super pissed at me that I didn't register us for Mt Charleston. Like I am the only one in the house with a credit card. So find a good one for me.
                    18 weeks to Eugene would fall on New Years weekend. Let's git er done!!!

Comment

• Revel Mt. Hood on Saturday July 28th.

Ponied up the money last week, so I'm committed. Was hoping to do one earlier in the season, but my running buddy wrecked on his mountain bike and broke his wrist, having had surgery a couple of months ago, delaying his plans. Training in May and June around here is going to be nasty. Going to be a lot of 5:00am wake up calls on Saturdays.

Much like Mt Charleston in Vegas and all of the other Revel runs, this one is all downhill with a net elevation loss of almost 5,000 feet. I like that it doesn't start as high as all of the others, as I train basically at sea level year round.

Its a first year race, so plenty of spots still available, but I expect it to fill up with how popular all of their other ones are.

Comment

• Nice! Have a great time.
                        "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

Revel Mt. Hood on Saturday July 28th.

Ponied up the money last week, so I'm committed. Was hoping to do one earlier in the season, but my running buddy wrecked on his mountain bike and broke his wrist, having had surgery a couple of months ago, delaying his plans. Training in May and June around here is going to be nasty. Going to be a lot of 5:00am wake up calls on Saturdays.

Much like Mt Charleston in Vegas and all of the other Revel runs, this one is all downhill with a net elevation loss of almost 5,000 feet. I like that it doesn't start as high as all of the others, as I train basically at sea level year round.

Its a first year race, so plenty of spots still available, but I expect it to fill up with how popular all of their other ones are.
                          How many marathons have you run so far?
                          "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                          - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                            How many marathons have you run so far?
                            Four so far. The last one was in 2011 in Salt Lake. Ran the first half with HotLunch.

Apparently it takes 7 years to forget the pain from doing the last one.

Comment

• Good luck goose. Looks like you can skip the training and just buy some of those shoes with wheels in the soles with that kind of elevation drop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• BG, how are you going to care for your knees around that race? Seems like that would be a killer on the body.

The Kiawah Island (S.C.) Marathon has a deal they run each year where right at Noon on the day of the race, registration for the following year's event opens up for x hours at a price of $x for either the full or half, with x being the anniversary year of the following race. So I jumped in and signed up for $41 and look forward to a flat, somewhat scenic race morning in early December 2018. Unfortunately, most of the race is through neighborhoods, but it's still supposed to be quite nice overall, and I'm running it with friends. Now to keep up the training and find some speed somewhere in this aging body.
                                I have nothing else to say at this time.

Comment

Working...
                                X