No announcement yet.

Marathon Training Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Go get 'em, Omaha! Keep it nice and easy for the most part as you build your mileage.
    "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

• The holidays were a slog. Both eating and finding time to run were a challenge. But I managed to make gradual progress and get to the point where I could run 4 miles without dying by the end of january.

Things have really taken off since then. Currently doing about 25 miles a week. I had the longest run of my life last Saturday. Only 9 miles, but it included some fairly large hills, I did it in 1:21, and I actually felt pretty good when I finished. This may not sound like a big deal but it is huge for me. Going to go 12 miles on Saturday. I'm about a week behind on the training schedule I'm using, but if I keep progressing at this rate I am not worried about being ready.

I do worry about injuring my old body as the runs get longer. I had knee/ankle pain on the left side pretty badly when I started. I think weight loss (down almost 20 pounds from when I started training) and investing in some good shoes have calmed that issue quite a bit. But now I notice when I get over 5 miles the bottom of my toes on the left foot get really sore...to the point that I'm slightly concerned about going 12 this week. I have plenty of room in the front shoe so not sure what is causing it. I guess I'll see how the long run goes this week and then determine if I need to correct something.

This training has been great for my wife and me. Coupling it with making more reasonable eating decisions during the week has led to the weight loss we have been trying to achieve for the past 5 years. Both are down around 20 pounds and both of us want to go 15-20 additional pounds.

In spite of all the benefits, I haven't caught the bug and dont see myself doing another marathon unless something changes drastically in the next couple months. I'm glad we are doing this, but in the end I guess I just dont like running very much.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

• If you haven't already, go buy some Body Glide to avoid chafing on those long runs.

Comment

• Way to go, Omaha. I still remember the first time I ran double-digit miles on a training run.

Going from 9 miles to 12 miles in a week for your long run is a big jump. Make sure you keep the build-up gradual enough to minimize the risk of injury.
          "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

• Originally posted by Joe Public View Post
            Way to go, Omaha. I still remember the first time I ran double-digit miles on a training run.

Going from 9 miles to 12 miles in a week for your long run is a big jump. Make sure you keep the build-up gradual enough to minimize the risk of injury.
            I ended up going 12.5 miles. I only walked up a pretty steep hill for about 50 m near the end and stopped three times for about 30 seconds to change my podcasts. Other than that I was continuously running, which was my goal for this run. The toe issue is potentially a big problem. I dont feel it right now, but from about mile 7 to the end it got progressively worse until it was pretty painful. I basically strike flat foot and I had to switch to heel striking near the end to lessen the pain on my left toes/ball of foot.

I ordered several different kinds of fancy padded running socks so I will try them out next week. Hopefully they solve the issue because I really dont want to switch shoes. I like the ones I have a lot.

Comment

• Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
              I ended up going 12.5 miles. I only walked up a pretty steep hill for about 50 m near the end and stopped three times for about 30 seconds to change my podcasts. Other than that I was continuously running, which was my goal for this run. The toe issue is potentially a big problem. I dont feel it right now, but from about mile 7 to the end it got progressively worse until it was pretty painful. I basically strike flat foot and I had to switch to heel striking near the end to lessen the pain on my left toes/ball of foot.

I ordered several different kinds of fancy padded running socks so I will try them out next week. Hopefully they solve the issue because I really dont want to switch shoes. I like the ones I have a lot.

My first thought was it is the shoes. Good job. I am so out of shape I would die if I ran 12 miles.

Comment

• I went 7 last night in fancy padded socks. The onset of the toe pain was later in the run but it eventually arrived and kept me from going as fast as I would have liked. I read a lot about possible causes after my run last. One site suggested doing stretches to increase toe flexibility a few times a week. The main stretch is kneeling with your toes bent under your feet and then putting your weight back through your heels down to the toes. I'll do it but I have no idea if it will work.

Any ideas what is going wrong besides shoes? The pain is only in one foot and it is the same side where my knee and ankle hurt a lot when I first stated training. Is it possible I did some weird compensated running for my knee pain and ended up screwing up my toes?

Comment

I went 7 last night in fancy padded socks. The onset of the toe pain was later in the run but it eventually arrived and kept me from going as fast as I would have liked. I read a lot about possible causes after my run last. One site suggested doing stretches to increase toe flexibility a few times a week. The main stretch is kneeling with your toes bent under your feet and then putting your weight back through your heels down to the toes. I'll do it but I have no idea if it will work.

Any ideas what is going wrong besides shoes? The pain is only in one foot and it is the same side where my knee and ankle hurt a lot when I first stated training. Is it possible I did some weird compensated running for my knee pain and ended up screwing up my toes?

Your body is just trying to tell you to stop running.
                  "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                  - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                    Your body is just trying to tell you to stop running.
                    True. But every part of my fat body has been telling me that since I started the long road back in November.

Comment

True. But every part of my fat body has been telling me that since I started the long road back in November.

You say you don't want to change shoes. How did you arrive at the shoes you are currently using?

What shoes are you using?

You should also consider that you may be a different runner now than you were in November and may need to reevaluate. I tend to believe we become more efficient the more we run. Your stride and foot strike may be changing, resulting in a need to a different shoe.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
                        You say you don't want to change shoes. How did you arrive at the shoes you are currently using?

What shoes are you using?

You should also consider that you may be a different runner now than you were in November and may need to reevaluate. I tend to believe we become more efficient the more we run. Your stride and foot strike may be changing, resulting in a need to a different shoe.
                        I'm using the latest Adidas Ultraboost right now. Perhaps I think they were amazing because before I was using a pair of adidas cross trainers that I mistakenly thought were running shoes

I went to a specialty running store and had them film me running on the treadmill and then we talked about different options and why they would be good for my running style. Ultraboost was one of them. I honestly cant remember the conversation so he could have just been selling me something. I have really liked them though.

Comment

• I’m no expert, but I went through the same shoe buying process, and the most expensive Adidas were their first recommendation for me too.

You might want to try a shoe with less “drop”, or difference between heel and toe height.if you strike mostly flat, a shoe with a higher heel could be putting more pressure on your toes. Adidas Ultraboosts have 9-10 mm drop. Something like the Saucony Kinvara only has 3-4 mm drop.

Comment

• yeah those are freaking expensive. 100-120 is the most I am willing to pay. Of course I wear a brooks ghost so can usually get them at the end of the season for 1/2 price. When I find them for under $60 I will buy at least 2-3 pair.

Comment

• I usually buy whatever Saucony that fits me well and feels good out of those on sale at Big 5.

Comment

• I've used Saucony and Asics, but by far my go to has been Brooks.

Comment

Working...
                                X