Marathon Training Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sea Chicken View Post
    If you drink 70 ounces, do you have to stop to pee along the way?
    No, not usually. I'm telling you man, I sweat like a whore in church.

Comment

Today was a weird day. I couldn't run before sunrise like I normally do because my son had surgery on a hernia this morning, then mid afternoon the Garmin 305 my wife gave me was delivered, so I put off running again so that I could charge it up and use it today, then by the time I got out, it was 7 pm and 83 degrees outside. I ended up running 3 miles in 33:19 for an average pace of 11:06/mile. My avg heat rate was 165 bpm, though with the heat bearing down on me, it reached a high of 185 bpm at the end of the run.
      "I don't mind giving the church 10% of my earnings, but 50% of my weekend mornings? Not as long as DirecTV NFL Sunday Ticket is around." - Daniel Tosh

Comment

Today's run sucked. Yesterday was a rest day and I was off work, so I decided to get some yard work done that I had been neglecting (mostly clearing out the growth along a fence along the side of my house). I don't know what got into me, but I just kept going and I ended up being out there for about 12 hours. I could barely move when I got out of bed this morning, but after some stretching, I got out there and ran although I had to keep the pace a bit slower than I wanted. I ended up running 7 miles, but at an 11:33 pace and an avg 164 bpm.
        "I don't mind giving the church 10% of my earnings, but 50% of my weekend mornings? Not as long as DirecTV NFL Sunday Ticket is around." - Daniel Tosh

Comment

Today's run sucked for me as well. I started too late (9:30ish) and it was already about 90 degrees. I had planned to do 6 or 7 but cut it short because I didn't wear my fuel belt and at mile 2 I was already sweating like Richard Gere's gerbil. On the plus side I found myself in the midst of a stragglers group of women trying to finish out a beginner's 5k. As I passed through them I felt like I had Steve Prefontaine speed.

Comment

I went trail running today with 4 of the 5 people who will be in my van for the relay. It was fun, but man, trail running is hard work. I suck at hills very badly. We only went 6.5 miles in 1:20. One of the slower guys in the group took a wrong turn and ended up in Utah County. Good times.

I bought a 50 oz. Cambelbak yesterday to take with me on some of the shorter runs, and it worked out great.

Comment

I ran a marathon this morning. It's called the Sea Chicken's an Idiot marathon. When I left for my 20-miler this morning I really wasn't feeling it. Tired, not motivated, etc. But somewhere along the way, I must have started feeling it because I took a couple of detours just to stretch things out a bit and by the time I got home I was at 24 and a half miles. So I got a drink of water and told my wife I'd be back in about ten minutes "I got something I gotta do." Then I took a lap around the subdivision to get the full 26.2 in. My total running time was 3:54:07, but that was with pausing the iPod at convenience stores to buy water. And I didn't even get a T-shirt.

The dirtbag comments this week got me thinking that I needed to hydrate more, so I stopped at a convenience store at miles 6 and 12 and bought water. Then I stopped again at 18 and bought Gatorade. I also bought a Powerbar at the 6 mile stop. I ate half there and took bites here and there along the rest of the run. And I sucked down a gel at 18.

I feel reasonable well now. No worse than after my previous 20-milers.
              Last edited by Sea Chicken; 05-30-2009, 11:40 AM.

Comment

Nice work Chicken. Not quite as good as my 4 miler this morning, but hey, you can only do so much.

As I mentioned in the bike forum, I went out for a 32 mile bike ride this morning. When we got back, my wife and her friend were still not back from their meeting and the babysitter looked like she was still holding together fairly well.

So my buddy and I strapped on the running shoes and headed out for a short run. It was already over 90 degrees by that time, so I took a water bottle along.

Man, the heat is killing me. I usually finish my exercise by 7:00 or 8:00 am, and it is rarely over 75 degrees. This morning my HR shot up and stayed up the entire 4 miles. My anaerobic threshold is about 168bpm. After the first mile, my HR stayed about 170 the rest of the run. I was sweating like crazy and started to get the chills toward the end. My legs were a little tired from the ride, but otherwise felt fairly well.

Comment

I can't believe I wasted a line as good as "sweating like Richard Gere's gerbil" in the running forum where nobody got to see it. That was good stuff and I got nothing. Nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by SteelBlue View Post
                    I was already sweating like Richard Gere's gerbil.
                    Ha Ha! Good one!

Comment

Had a pretty good run this morning. It was hot, though. A couple of miles in, I was sweating like OJ Simpson at a Goldman Family Reunion.

Comment

Originally posted by Teenage Dirtbag View Post
                        Had a pretty good run this morning. It was hot, though. A couple of miles in, I was sweating like OJ Simpson at a Goldman Family Reunion.
                        This could be fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Sea Chicken View Post
                          I ran a marathon this morning. It's called the Sea Chicken's an Idiot marathon. When I left for my 20-miler this morning I really wasn't feeling it. Tired, not motivated, etc. But somewhere along the way, I must have started feeling it because I took a couple of detours just to stretch things out a bit and by the time I got home I was at 24 and a half miles. So I got a drink of water and told my wife I'd be back in about ten minutes "I got something I gotta do." Then I took a lap around the subdivision to get the full 26.2 in. My total running time was 3:54:07, but that was with pausing the iPod at convenience stores to buy water. And I didn't even get a T-shirt.

The dirtbag comments this week got me thinking that I needed to hydrate more, so I stopped at a convenience store at miles 6 and 12 and bought water. Then I stopped again at 18 and bought Gatorade. I also bought a Powerbar at the 6 mile stop. I ate half there and took bites here and there along the rest of the run. And I sucked down a gel at 18.

I feel reasonable well now. No worse than after my previous 20-milers.
                          I am still trying to mentally comprehend the amount of miles you are running right now. I am running more than I ever have in my life. I'm running five days a week. I put in 11 miles on my long run one week ago. And you have run just about TRIPLE what I have in two weeks. You are an absolute machine.
                          Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

Originally posted by nikuman View Post
                            I am still trying to mentally comprehend the amount of miles you are running right now. I am running more than I ever have in my life. I'm running five days a week. I put in 11 miles on my long run one week ago. And you have run just about TRIPLE what I have in two weeks. You are an absolute machine.
                            You'll get used to SeaChicken kicking the crap out of you in Nike distance challenges before too long. The only way to have a chance against him is to make speed the deciding factor and even then he'll be near the top. BigPiney (I was feeling pretty good, looked down and saw I was running 4 minute miles) usually takes the speed challenges though.

Comment

Originally posted by SteelBlue View Post
                              You'll get used to SeaChicken kicking the crap out of you in Nike distance challenges before too long. The only way to have a chance against him is to make speed the deciding factor and even then he'll be near the top. BigPiney (I was feeling pretty good, looked down and saw I was running 4 minute miles) usually takes the speed challenges though.
                              Either way, I don't have much of a hope. If I really kill myself I could maybe do a 5k in 22:30 or so. Maybe, on a good day after a day of rest with a tailwind and a temperature of 55 or lower, with Freddy Kruger chasing after me at a 22:31 pace.
                              Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

If any of you are interested I blog my runs at http://court.fastrunningblog.com/

It's not the most exciting read, but once in a while something interesting happens like falling on my ass or stepping on a dead cat.

Comment

Working...
                                X