Page 49 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3947484950 LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,470 of 1476

Thread: Marathon Training Thread

a day late/a dollar short Sullyute's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BigPiney View Post
    yeah those are freaking expensive. 100-120 is the most I am willing to pay. Of course I wear a brooks ghost so can usually get them at the end of the season for 1/2 price. When I find them for under $60 I will buy at least 2-3 pair.
    Brooks Ghost is what I use too.
    "Friendship is the grand fundamental principle of Mormonism" - Joseph Smith Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    Brooks Ghost is what I use too.
    great neutral shoe, good cushioning, nice wide toe box and a narrow heel.

I have tried the Brooks Launch as well, for a little lighter weight shoe, but the Ghost better imo.

yeah those are freaking expensive. 100-120 is the most I am willing to pay. Of course I wear a brooks ghost so can usually get them at the end of the season for 1/2 price. When I find them for under $60 I will buy at least 2-3 pair.
    Yeah that is usually my range too. To be fair the guy gave me three choices including the ultra boost, and the other two were around 100. I really did like the feel of the ultra boost most.

I had a rest day before my long run tomorrow so or course I decided to go snowboarding for the first time in 7 years. My toes on my left foot were hurting quite a bit so I'm thinking something more is going on besides the shoes.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Did 15 on Saturday. Finished it in 2:35 with few issues. My toes acted up briefly at about mile 7 but the stretches I'm doing seem to be working a little. I also found that if it gets bad during a long run I can stop and stretch my toes hard for about 30 seconds and then I'm good to go for several miles. In the race I may just end up doing that every 5 miles as a precautionary measure.

Near the end of the run I actually had the thought "I think I can run a marathon" for the first time ever. So that was pleasant. 15 was another record distance for me. I'm about 8 weeks out and the only runs longer than 15 I have left are one each of 16, 18, and 20.

Last edited by Omaha 680; 03-25-2019 at 01:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Omaha 680 View Post
    Did 15 on Saturday. Finished it in 2:35 with few issues. My toes acted up briefly at about mile 7 but the stretches I'm doing seem to be working a little. I also found that if it gets bad during a long run I can stop and stretch my toes hard for about 30 seconds and then I'm good to go for several miles. In the race I may just end up doing that every 5 miles as a precautionary measure.

Near the end of the run I actually had the thought "I think I can run a marathon" for the first time ever. So that was pleasant. 15 was another record distance for me. I'm about 8 weeks out and the only runs longer than 15 I have left are one each of 16, 18, and 20.

In about the same amount of time, I walked a little over a mile yesterday. So there's that.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

I threw down nine miles on Saturday in your honor, Omaha. Keep up the good work!
    "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

16 mile run in NYC yesterday. Ran from Javitz down around the battery, across the Manhattan bridge and then back across the Williamsburg bridge and up the east river trail. I felt really really good until about mile 13 and then I hit a brick wall. Had to walk probably one mile total of the last three, the most substantial portion being the slope up the Brooklyn side of the Williamsburg bridge. My toes didnt hurt more than any other part of my legs...but my feet and knees were just on fire at the end. The good news is I'm hardly sore at all today so I'm going to just say it was all the uneven concrete I was running on and the lack of good sleep the 48 hours prior to the run.

Weird thought: I'm starting to think I grew a half shoe size during training. I have been a size 10 since about 13 years old but in addition to the weird toe pain I have had in training, I noticed other non-running shoes suddenly feeling tight in the toes. Is feet suddenly growing in your 40s a thing? Regardless I'm going back to the store on Wednesday to upsize to a 10.5 and see if that solves my issues.

When I first bought my running shoes they suggested a short that was a 1/2 size bigger than I normally wear. My running shoes are the only size 11s I own. Same thing happens for those hiking the John Muir trail or the PCT.

Foot swelling is a real thing. Do you think it's more than that?

Quote Originally Posted by Bo Diddley View Post
    Foot swelling is a real thing. Do you think it's more than that?
    I have no idea. I have never experienced anything like this. But this is also much more than I have ever run in my life.

I just traded in for ultraboost 10.5s (I was wearing 10s). I have 5 miles tomorrow and 12 on saturday. If I have the same toe issue, I will go back and trade in for the Hoka Clifton 5 which I just tried on and it felt great.

Last Saturday I had an terrible long run. Walked large portions of it, couldnt finish, my toe was killing me. Then last week I had a super stressful week of work travel, stomach bug, and little sleep such that I only ran one weekday. So my expectations were not high for my run on Saturday. It went surprisingly well. I went the full 18 miles, stopping only a couple times for water. I took the ferry to NJ and ran up and over the GW bridge and then down the west side of Manhattan. I only walked on the very steepest part of the NJ approach to the bridge and walking fast up that hill was at least as strenuous as running the same distance on flat ground.

In two weeks we have a 20 miler and then we taper. I feel like I am about there fitness-wise, which is crazy considering where I started. My knees would like me to lose 10 more pounds which I'm sure would happen if I could muster a modicum of self control in my diet.

Also I traded in my shoes for some Saucony Triumph Iso 5s. They felt like fluffy clouds on my feet and I appear to have no more toe issues. I think the ultra boost were too pointy for my wide feet and were squeezing my toes together when my feet swelled.

Last edited by Omaha 680; 04-16-2019 at 01:32 PM.

Sweet! I think you got this.

I suffered a pretty significant setback. Last Saturday was supposed to be my 20 miler. My left knee was pretty tight from the beginning but this is not unusual and I expected it to loosen up. In mile 7 I got a sharp pain in it that made me stop immediately. After walking for a bit I tried to start again but the sharp pain persisted so I aborted the run. I gave myself a few days off with ice, stretching and ibuprofen then tried to get back into it the last couple days. Tried to do 9 last night but right in mile 7 I had the same issues and had to walk most of the rest.

I'm pretty frustrated. Fitness wise I feel ready; when I am running my legs and lungs feel like I could do the full marathon tomorrow. But I am really worried my knee wont let me. We are only two weeks out now. On the bright side, my wife had a similar issue with her ankle about a month ago and has come out the other side ready to run the race. The timing of my issue is much worse.

I suffered a pretty significant setback. Last Saturday was supposed to be my 20 miler. My left knee was pretty tight from the beginning but this is not unusual and I expected it to loosen up. In mile 7 I got a sharp pain in it that made me stop immediately. After walking for a bit I tried to start again but the sharp pain persisted so I aborted the run. I gave myself a few days off with ice, stretching and ibuprofen then tried to get back into it the last couple days. Tried to do 9 last night but right in mile 7 I had the same issues and had to walk most of the rest.

I'm pretty frustrated. Fitness wise I feel ready; when I am running my legs and lungs feel like I could do the full marathon tomorrow. But I am really worried my knee wont let me. We are only two weeks out now. On the bright side, my wife had a similar issue with her ankle about a month ago and has come out the other side ready to run the race. The timing of my issue is much worse.
    Dang. My wife has run a few with knee braces on, maybe you can try something to give you some stability.

Yeah maybe some knee stability exercises would do you some good. I've done several after my two knee surgeries a few years back.

Good luck; I hope it resolves quickly. If it feels like someone is jamming a screwdriver into the side of your knee, then it might be IT band irritation.
    "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Public View Post
    Good luck; I hope it resolves quickly. If it feels like someone is jamming a screwdriver into the side of your knee, then it might be IT band irritation.
    That is pretty much what it feels like. My left hip can get tight as well. Today the knee is quite sore. I need to avoid running for at least a week. Thinking about going for a long bike ride tomorrow. Would that be a mistake?

Dang. My wife has run a few with knee braces on, maybe you can try something to give you some stability.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bo Diddley View Post
    Yeah maybe some knee stability exercises would do you some good. I've done several after my two knee surgeries a few years back.
    Why do you guys assume that the knee is unstable? Maybe it's just that the running surfaces are just abnormally hard.

Sorry for the troubles, Omaha. Hope it gets better soon.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

That is pretty much what it feels like. My left hip can get tight as well. Today the knee is quite sore. I need to avoid running for at least a week. Thinking about going for a long bike ride tomorrow. Would that be a mistake?
    Uh oh. IT band issues can be a bear to overcome. That was why I actually had the knee surgeries. I think I posted about them in the running thread. I first noticed the pain in my right hip while doing speed work at an army school. But the first serious signs of issues were when I was riding my bike.

I would work on IT Band stretches and get a good foam roller to roll the band all the way from the hip to the knee.

Why don't you try getting a good deep-tissue massage to work on the quads, hammies, and IT band? Also the hip flexors and gastrocs.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelado View Post
    Why do you guys assume that the knee is unstable? Maybe it's just that the running surfaces are just abnormally hard.

Sorry for the troubles, Omaha. Hope it gets better soon.
    A lot of knee pain can be trace to knee instability. In fact, I'm willing to bet that knee strengthening can alleviate some minor IT band issues.

After reading all about IT band issues for runners, I'm convinced that is my problem. I'm taking a full 10 days off from running. Ice and ibuprofen and foam rolling the band twice a day. A couple articles I read says cross training by biking or swimming should be ok while you decrease or pause your running miles to allow the band inflammation to subside. So I did 25 miles on the bike yesterday. I know that's not a lot but for someone like me who has never done any serious miles on a bike it was a good workout. Also I dont have a proper training bike. My muscles are sore today but my knee feels ok.

I'm going to bike 4-5 times this week and then go out on Saturday to see if I can run. Still holding out some hope I can actually do the race.

Edit: I also may do the deep tissue massage mtnbiker suggested.
    Last edited by Omaha 680; 05-05-2019 at 08:59 PM.

Pre-Historic Man

After reading all about IT band issues for runners, I'm convinced that is my problem. I'm taking a full 10 days off from running. Ice and ibuprofen and foam rolling the band twice a day. A couple articles I read says cross training by biking or swimming should be ok while you decrease or pause your running miles to allow the band inflammation to subside. So I did 25 miles on the bike yesterday. I know that's not a lot but for someone like me who has never done any serious miles on a bike it was a good workout. Also I dont have a proper training bike. My muscles are sore today but my knee feels ok.

I'm going to bike 4-5 times this week and then go out on Saturday to see if I can run. Still holding out some hope I can actually do the race.

If you haven't biked before, be prepared for some tightness in your hamstrings as well. Stretch both hamstrings and quads given the resulting strain. Good luck and have fun.
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Oh man, Iím sorry about your issues. I can empathize. I started to have it band issues right after my 20 miler, which was three weeks before the marathon. I ended up not running because I couldnít get more than five miles without sharp pain. I stretched, foam rolled, saw a soft tissue chiro who did some deep tissue stuff within those three weeks and nothing helped. Race day sucked because I woke up in the best shape of my life but couldnít run the race.

After two years of endless PT, steroid shots, stretching, exercising, weight lifting, cross training, etc I finally went under the knife and had my it band surgically lengthened. It worked to a point that I can now run without too much of an issue. My hip is still tight, but it will always be that way as my left hip joint is abnormal (which may have amplified some of the it band issues) but at least I can run pain free. Iíve since done several half marathons but I donít dare get above that for fear of messing up my hip or causing the it band to tighten up again. Iíve also limited myself to tuning twice a week and swimming/cycling/lifting on the off days. It sucks because I prefer to run over everything else, but as I get older Iím finding I need to enjoy what I can while it lasts.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, ďspectator discipleshipĒ is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    Oh man, I’m sorry about your issues. I can empathize. I started to have it band issues right after my 20 miler, which was three weeks before the marathon. I ended up not running because I couldn’t get more than five miles without sharp pain. I stretched, foam rolled, saw a soft tissue chiro who did some deep tissue stuff within those three weeks and nothing helped. Race day sucked because I woke up in the best shape of my life but couldn’t run the race.

After two years of endless PT, steroid shots, stretching, exercising, weight lifting, cross training, etc I finally went under the knife and had my it band surgically lengthened. It worked to a point that I can now run without too much of an issue. My hip is still tight, but it will always be that way as my left hip joint is abnormal (which may have amplified some of the it band issues) but at least I can run pain free. I’ve since done several half marathons but I don’t dare get above that for fear of messing up my hip or causing the it band to tighten up again. I’ve also limited myself to tuning twice a week and swimming/cycling/lifting on the off days. It sucks because I prefer to run over everything else, but as I get older I’m finding I need to enjoy what I can while it lasts.
    This is not making me feel better! I dont have a bucket list, but if I did a marathon would be on it so I hope I can somehow run the race.

I just went down a rabbit hole of IT band compression braces, straps, etc online. Do these products help at all or are they junk?

This is not making me feel better! I dont have a bucket list, but if I did a marathon would be on it so I hope I can somehow run the race.

I just went down a rabbit hole of IT band compression braces, straps, etc online. Do these products help at all or are they junk?
    My semi-informed but non professional opinion is that they are junk. Iím actually also on the side of foam rolling being mostly junk for IT band issues but mostly because itís never worked for me. It does help my leg feel a bit better but itís never lengthened or helped my it band in any sort of way. I do use a lacrosse ball on my gluteus and top of my hammies, and that works on muscle but Iíve never had anything really help with the tough tissue.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, ďspectator discipleshipĒ is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

I biked 28 miles on Saturday with some pretty significant hills. I felt great during and immediately after. All day yesterday my knee was killing me and it hasn't really stopped. The pain is now on the inside instead of the outside where it hurt when running. That has to be something different than the IT band, right?

I'm done with any kind of training at this point. I will just ice and rest and see what happens. 6 days until the race. I have serious doubts I will be able to finish. I am pretty disappointed.

I biked 28 miles on Saturday with some pretty significant hills. I felt great during and immediately after. All day yesterday my knee was killing me and it hasn't really stopped. The pain is now on the inside instead of the outside where it hurt when running. That has to be something different than the IT band, right?

I'm done with any kind of training at this point. I will just ice and rest and see what happens. 6 days until the race. I have serious doubts I will be able to finish. I am pretty disappointed.

Sorry, dude. Hope it gets better. Will this be your first marathon?
    - Goatnapper'96

Dang man, best of luck.