Page 46 of 46 FirstFirst ... 36444546
Results 1,351 to 1,361 of 1361

Thread: Marathon Training Thread

  1. #1351
    Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Pleasanton, CA
    Posts
    8,460

    Default

    Major bummer, Moliere, but a good decision to live to fight another day.

  2. #1352
    Member Sans Gravitas Donuthole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    14,802

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    Well, the marathon isn't gonna happen this time. I've been battling knee problems both on the side of the knee and under the patella. These all came on after the 20 miler. I've seen an IT Band specialist and am still working with him. Things are improving but there's no way I can make it 26.2 miles on my knee on Saturday. I did 2 miles this morning and it started to hurt around 1.5 miles. By the end of the 2 miles the pain wasn't sharp but I can't imagine doing another 24 miles on it. Needless to say, I'm going to shut it down for a bit (except for when my doc tells me to run) and try again another time.

    It's incredibly frustrating to do all the training and to miss out on the race. I could probably tough out a half marathon but honestly staying healthy and being able to continue to run in the near future is more important than finishing a marathon this year. I don't know if I'll train for another marathon as this one took a lot out of me both physically (with the injuries) and mentally (with the disappointment) but I can only imagine that come fall my outlook will probably change and you'll see me out running 12-16 milers.
    Pretty clearly a punishment from God for attending and touting a graduate school which is willing to sit idly by while the family unit is attacked from all sides. Good luck with that.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

    There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

  3. #1353
    Liberal Feminazi Pheidippides's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    13,728

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    Well, the marathon isn't gonna happen this time. I've been battling knee problems both on the side of the knee and under the patella. These all came on after the 20 miler. I've seen an IT Band specialist and am still working with him. Things are improving but there's no way I can make it 26.2 miles on my knee on Saturday. I did 2 miles this morning and it started to hurt around 1.5 miles. By the end of the 2 miles the pain wasn't sharp but I can't imagine doing another 24 miles on it. Needless to say, I'm going to shut it down for a bit (except for when my doc tells me to run) and try again another time.

    It's incredibly frustrating to do all the training and to miss out on the race. I could probably tough out a half marathon but honestly staying healthy and being able to continue to run in the near future is more important than finishing a marathon this year. I don't know if I'll train for another marathon as this one took a lot out of me both physically (with the injuries) and mentally (with the disappointment) but I can only imagine that come fall my outlook will probably change and you'll see me out running 12-16 milers.
    Unhappy news - I was looking forward to chatting the entire time on your way to a triumphant finish. IT bands are tough. But your day will yet come.
    Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

  4. #1354

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    Well, the marathon isn't gonna happen this time. I've been battling knee problems both on the side of the knee and under the patella. These all came on after the 20 miler. I've seen an IT Band specialist and am still working with him. Things are improving but there's no way I can make it 26.2 miles on my knee on Saturday. I did 2 miles this morning and it started to hurt around 1.5 miles. By the end of the 2 miles the pain wasn't sharp but I can't imagine doing another 24 miles on it. Needless to say, I'm going to shut it down for a bit (except for when my doc tells me to run) and try again another time.

    It's incredibly frustrating to do all the training and to miss out on the race. I could probably tough out a half marathon but honestly staying healthy and being able to continue to run in the near future is more important than finishing a marathon this year. I don't know if I'll train for another marathon as this one took a lot out of me both physically (with the injuries) and mentally (with the disappointment) but I can only imagine that come fall my outlook will probably change and you'll see me out running 12-16 milers.
    Damn.

  5. #1355

    Default

    Dang. Sorry to hear about that, moliere.
    "The spirit of contention is SO non-fabulous."
    ---W.H. Pugmire

  6. #1356
    Liberal Feminazi Pheidippides's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    13,728

    Default

    You didn't miss much Moliere. 80 degrees and 90 percent humidity. Unbelievably hot.
    Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

  7. #1357
    One man.....one pie Moliere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The Republic of Tejas
    Posts
    13,074

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pheidippides View Post
    You didn't miss much Moliere. 80 degrees and 90 percent humidity. Unbelievably hot.
    Ha, that's what I heard. My ward buddy said it was tough and with his knee pain he almost quit. He toughed it out and finished.

    I'm still feeling bummed but I'll be over it once my leg gets good enough I can do some good miles on it.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

  8. #1358
    Liberal Feminazi Pheidippides's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    13,728

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    Ha, that's what I heard. My ward buddy said it was tough and with his knee pain he almost quit. He toughed it out and finished.

    I'm still feeling bummed but I'll be over it once my leg gets good enough I can do some good miles on it.
    Your buddy saved another buddy from quitting too. Nasty tough day - tougher than anything I've raced in save the ironman.

    I have some minor Achilles inflammation now and am going to take a bit of time off from running.
    Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

  9. #1359

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pheidippides View Post
    Your buddy saved another buddy from quitting too. Nasty tough day - tougher than anything I've raced in save the ironman.

    I have some minor Achilles inflammation now and am going to take a bit of time off from running.
    Time?

  10. #1360
    Liberal Feminazi Pheidippides's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    13,728

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scottie View Post
    Time?
    I was pacing for friends this time. Aiming for a 4:00 finish but the last guy melted down at mile 23. Came in at 4:04 because I stopped with him.
    Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

  11. #1361

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pheidippides View Post
    I was pacing for friends this time. Aiming for a 4:00 finish but the last guy melted down at mile 23. Came in at 4:04 because I stopped with him.
    Wow. I have been doing lots better with my fitness the last 6 months. I do not think I could do something like that. My feet and knees are killing and I am only running a few miles 3 times a week.

    That is cool of you to pace for a buddy on a marathon. He must be a good friend.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •