Best fight songs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best fight songs

My favorite fight songs are Notre Dame, Michigan and USC. Not original, I know, but they seem to stand out. Are there any other good ones?
    When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
    My favorite fight songs are Notre Dame, Michigan and USC. Not original, I know, but they seem to stand out. Are there any other good ones?
    I think that's where the list begins and ends. All others can't touch those three especially Notre Dame's Victory March.

Navy and Army are worth mentioning.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
      That's because those three are the most traditional and recognizable. It's like asking who is your favorite philosopher... of course Aristotle, Socrates and Voltaire are going to be brought up almost across the board. Any dumbass recognizes those names.

On the opposite ends of the spectrum, BYU and Utah probably have two of the worst. BYU's "Rise and Shout" isn't really inspiring, and listening to Utah's feels more like I'm listening to the Mickey Mouse Club.

Comment

These 3 schools stand above the rest because they share a fraternal bond in several categories.....fight song, tradition, mascot, game day rituals, uniforms, stadium venue, and rabid national followings.

Pros and Cons of the 3:

I admit to thinking that Notre Dame has the best fight song and coolest mascot....The Fighting Irish. How cool is that? Also, their stadium oozes history and their campus is a great game day environment, with the Grotto, TDJ, pre-game Mass, band concert at Bond Hall, those meatheads in tall hats, and the march into the stadium. Add to the mix a freakishly kind and hospitable student body and alumni base and you have all the fixings for a great experience.

Michigan helmets win for being the most recognizable in all of college football. Michigan's fight song is iconic, but loses a few points for claiming to be the champions of "the west." Such language instantly dates the composition. Michigan wins points for its massive venue, The Big House. Michigan doesnt really win many points for its uninspired boring mascot. Also, with the exception of running onto the field and slapping the banner, what else does Michigan do? One tradition I have always liked about Michigan...."those who stay will be champions." That is a cool slogan.

SC uniforms and helmets are very cool, but not as classic as ND or Michigan. The Coliseum is old, but a grande dame....as far as venues go, it is unparalleled by any other college venue in terms of hosting multiple Olympics, world series, superbowls, the Pope, etc. Fight On is in the top 3 of fight songs, I agree. USC is unique amongst the 3 in that it is known nationally for it's rallying cry, "Fight On!" If you ask anyone that has ever attended an SC football game, the band plays unique songs (over and over) and the sight of the 2-finger victory salute is a staple at any SC gathering. SC wins major points for mascots....Tommy Trojan as well as Traveler the Horse.

BYU's Rise and Shout has potential, but I can't stand that stupid fist roll at the end. I always refuse to do it. Most of the BYU's in-game traditions win little to no points because they are almost all stolen from other schools.

Utah's fight song is an abomination to all college sports. This isn't just my opinion. I think ESPN recently listed it as one of the 10 worst fight songs, or 10 gayest fight songs, or somesuch. The lyrics are dated, sexist, and absurd. Seriously, how can a Ute defend such a horrid tradition?

Other fight songs of note:

1. FUCLA/KAL/every high school in America....this is a good fight song, but for the fact that everyone uses it. I also noticed that the Utes have adopted the FUCLA tradition....the cheer when everyone says.....U-T-A-H, Fight Fight Fight! ripoff.
        2. Auburn...not sure what their song is called, but it is pretty cool.
        3. I like Arizona's song.....Bear Down..or whatever it is called.
        4. Boston College has an awful alma mater song...For Boston. Boring tripe.
        Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

How can you even have a list of best fight songs and not mention On Wisconsin?

Comment

Ramblin Wreck from GTech is another cool one. Different for sure. Auburn's War Eagle is worthy of mention also.
            -Turtle
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
              These 3 schools stand above the rest because they share a fraternal bond in several categories.....fight song, tradition, mascot, game day rituals, uniforms, stadium venue, and rabid national followings.

Pros and Cons of the 3:

I admit to thinking that Notre Dame has the best fight song and coolest mascot....The Fighting Irish. How cool is that? Also, their stadium oozes history and their campus is a great game day environment, with the Grotto, TDJ, pre-game Mass, band concert at Bond Hall, those meatheads in tall hats, and the march into the stadium. Add to the mix a freakishly kind and hospitable student body and alumni base and you have all the fixings for a great experience.

Michigan helmets win for being the most recognizable in all of college football. Michigan's fight song is iconic, but loses a few points for claiming to be the champions of "the west." Such language instantly dates the composition. Michigan wins points for its massive venue, The Big House. Michigan doesnt really win many points for its uninspired boring mascot. Also, with the exception of running onto the field and slapping the banner, what else does Michigan do? One tradition I have always liked about Michigan...."those who stay will be champions." That is a cool slogan.

SC uniforms and helmets are very cool, but not as classic as ND or Michigan. The Coliseum is old, but a grande dame....as far as venues go, it is unparalleled by any other college venue in terms of hosting multiple Olympics, world series, superbowls, the Pope, etc. Fight On is in the top 3 of fight songs, I agree. USC is unique amongst the 3 in that it is known nationally for it's rallying cry, "Fight On!" If you ask anyone that has ever attended an SC football game, the band plays unique songs (over and over) and the sight of the 2-finger victory salute is a staple at any SC gathering. SC wins major points for mascots....Tommy Trojan as well as Traveler the Horse.

BYU's Rise and Shout has potential, but I can't stand that stupid fist roll at the end. I always refuse to do it. Most of the BYU's in-game traditions win little to no points because they are almost all stolen from other schools.

Utah's fight song is an abomination to all college sports. This isn't just my opinion. I think ESPN recently listed it as one of the 10 worst fight songs, or 10 gayest fight songs, or somesuch. The lyrics are dated, sexist, and absurd. Seriously, how can a Ute defend such a horrid tradition?

Other fight songs of note:

1. FUCLA/KAL/every high school in America....this is a good fight song, but for the fact that everyone uses it. I also noticed that the Utes have adopted the FUCLA tradition....the cheer when everyone says.....U-T-A-H, Fight Fight Fight! ripoff.
              2. Auburn...not sure what their song is called, but it is pretty cool.
              3. I like Arizona's song.....Bear Down..or whatever it is called.
              4. Boston College has an awful alma mater song...For Boston. Boring tripe.
              Good thoughts, all.

I don't know why people rip on BYU's fight song so much, other than it seems to be the "cool" "educated football fan" thing to do. Maybe it's just because I grew up on it, I like it--it sounds like a fight song.

Utah's song, on the other hand, sounds like a ridiculous theme park song. I have no idea what the words are, nor do I think most of Utah's fan base has any what the words are, so I have no idea if they're sexist or not. I guess the title is sexist.

Notre Dame is by the far the coolest college experience I have attended, start to finish. I would love to play them every year, even if it were a 10-for-1 trade, just for an excuse to go there.
              At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
              -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

Originally posted by Babs View Post
                How can you even have a list of best fight songs and not mention On Wisconsin?
                I purposely refrained from commenting on OU's fight song. I don't remember hearing it during the Orange Bowl.....

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
                  Good thoughts, all.

I don't know why people rip on BYU's fight song so much, other than it seems to be the "cool" "educated football fan" thing to do. Maybe it's just because I grew up on it, I like it--it sounds like a fight song.

Utah's song, on the other hand, sounds like a ridiculous theme park song. I have no idea what the words are, nor do I think most of Utah's fan base has any what the words are, so I have no idea if they're sexist or not. I guess the title is sexist.

Notre Dame is by the far the coolest college experience I have attended, start to finish. I would love to play them every year, even if it were a 10-for-1 trade, just for an excuse to go there.
                  Utah fans do indeed know the lyrics to their fight song:

*clap* *clap* *clap* *clap* *clap* *clap* *clap* *clap*
                  *clap* *clap* *clap* *clap* KEE YEE!! *clap*
                  *clap* *clap* *clap* *clap* *clap* *clap* MUSS!!! *clap*
                  *clap* GO UTES!!!
                  τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

Originally posted by all-american View Post
                    utah fans do indeed know the lyrics to their fight song:

*clap* *clap* *clap* *clap* kee yee!! *clap*
                    *clap* *clap* *clap* *clap* *clap* *clap* muss!!! *clap*
                    *clap* go utes!!!
                    lol!
                    -Turtle
                    sigpic

Comment

I seem to recall Rick Reilly mocking the Utah fight song years ago. I think it was when they made the final four run.
                      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
                        Good thoughts, all.

I like Rise and Shout. I actually think the participation aspect of it makes it cool.....everyone stands up at the same time, everyone pumps fists in unison......again, I stop short at the fist roll. I refuse to do it. Do you Fist Roll? Maybe I am being too serious about it, but it just seems silly and absurd.

I concur with your ND thought. In fact, I understand that our Ute brethren have a homie against the Irish. I would admonish everyone to start saving your cash now to make sure there are no excuses for missing this game. It doesnt matter how well or poor either team is faring that season. Get to South Bend if it is the last thing you ever do.

As for Utah's lyrics, I will let a Ute cut and paste the words to that awful banshee wail. I don't want my browser to get contaminated.

Another awful fight song....Texas...I've been working on the railroad.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by All-American View Post
                          Utah fans do indeed know the lyrics to their fight song:

*clap* *clap* *clap* *clap* KEE YEE!! *clap*
                          *clap* *clap* *clap* *clap* *clap* *clap* MUSS!!! *clap*
                          *clap* GO UTES!!!
                          I like this new, more jocular All-American....hilarious youtube clips, witty sports rivalry smack.....

Is this a permanent shift or are you just teasing us with some of your Spring 2009 material? I'm not complaining, btw.

sigpic

Comment

I purposely refrained from commenting on OU's fight song. I don't remember hearing it during the Orange Bowl.....
                            I refrained from commenting on OU's fight song, too, you insufferable stereotypical fortunate son I didn't even go to USC Trojan fan prick.

Comment

my mom used to wake me up in the morning's for school singing 'rise and scream it's only a dream' to the cougar fight song. not only did her words make me laugh (especially right after the cougs won the 1984 NC), but the tune was obnoxious enough to get me out of bed...

because i grew up a ute fan, i like the song "Utah Man". i know the words, and even knew that it contained the word "muss" before urban meyer made it famous.

Seems to me that byu fans knock on the utes for clapping when that is exactly what cougs do throug their song when i've been there... i agree that the hand roll thing is very lame. i wouldn't do it either - luckily we utes just clap.

i won't try to defend the ute fight song it to any of you... i will say that my other institution of higher learning, syracuse of the orange, has an attrocious fight song that no fan knows or cares to learn. i should have gone to notre dame - that song kicks ass! remember the tostito's commercials a few years ago with the hari krishna's in the airport doing a pyramid and singing the notre dame fight song? that commercial was awesome!

i suppose you could argue that byu and utah's songs both are similar to good old fashioned circus music...

If BYU's song is similar to this:
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LV0I4...eature=related

Then, the Ute fight song is similar to this:
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHPhF...eature=related

I really need to learn how to put the youtube links directly into a post.

Comment

Working...
                              X