The $h#& you see on craigslist...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Babs View Post
    yeah, I totally meant to convert before the move so I could call up the EQ.
    http://www.cougarboard.com/noframes/...tml?id=2328919

I never did get a straight answer.
    There's no such thing as luck, only drunken invincibility. Make it happen.

Tila Tequila and Juggalos, America’s saddest punchline since the South.

Yesterday was Thursday, Thursday
    Today is Friday, Friday (Partyin’)

Tomorrow is Saturday
    And Sunday comes afterwards

Comment

We recently purchased a vintage living room set (Viko Baumritter line, from the '60s before Baumritter became Ethan Allen) and an authentic greasy spoon diner table and four chairs off of Craig's List. The Baumritter looks like it could have been walked off the set of Mad Men. I <3 Craigslist 2.

Comment

I tell you what, craigslist plus a down economy is an absolute goldmine.
        ('Jake' is babs, btw.)

Bidder one: "You won't find anybody to do it for less than $95. I can do it later today. Just let me know where to show up."

Bidder two: "I do this kind of thing all the time. I'll do it for $75."

Bidders three and four: $50.

Bidder five: "Normally I'd charge 45, but business is slow and I'll do it for $35."

Folks, I think we have a winner. lol.
        I would have done it for $30.
        *Banned*

Comment

I sold an old fridge/freezer and a rubbermaid storage shed for more than I thought I could.
          Got a nearly new Pottery Barn buffet at 40% of the price of new. I love it.

Adam Carolla has a very funny bit on his podcast called "Who the F sells this S?" Looks for people selling things like 3 ring binders for $0.25 each and calls them.
          I intend to live forever.
          So far, so good.
          --Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
            Wrong strategy. Here's what you should have posted:
            "Old king-sized mattress and 3-4 other household items. $35 for the lot. Please haul off by Tuesday. "
            Craigslist has a "free" section in the For Sale area. I've gotten quite a few things hauled off that way. You still have to deal with the flakes that always respond to the CL ads, but it usually doesn't take too long to find someone to come get your junk.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott R Nelson View Post
              You still have to deal with the flakes that always respond to the CL ads, but it usually doesn't take too long to find someone to come get your junk.
              Yes, finding someone to handle the junk seems to be what CL is most popular for, anymore.
              Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Right. This is what my sister said, too. But it's illegal to resell mattresses in the state of Oklahoma. Plus it's just plain nasty.
                ?really? Lame! I sold a Queen mattress for 100 bucks off of Craigs list about a year ago.
                Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

A client of mine didn't have the means to pay me, so he bartered with me and I accepted a desk with a hutch, return and custom-made bevel edged glass tops.

He paid $1300 three years ago (and bought it on sale from $1900) and paid a combined total of $500 for the glass placed on top (I didn't know it was so expensive).

The desk, hutch and return are still in very good shape. Is it realistic to get $800 out of this thing via craigslist? For an equivalent item new, you'd have to pay about $1800 (if you count the glass). I went for the deal because there was a very high possibility I wasn't going to get anything else out of this guy.
                  Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
                    Is it realistic to get $800 out of this thing via craigslist?
                    If it's worth that much to somebody, yes.

But you'll have to deal with a lot of flakes who will try to get you to drop the price, or say they want it then never get back with you, or want to make monthly payments, or want to trade you something else. Craigslist works great to get a huge audience for what you're selling. But many of the people in that huge audience are often people you really would rather not deal with.

But at least it only costs time to advertise things there.

Comment

A client of mine didn't have the means to pay me, so he bartered with me and I accepted a desk with a hutch, return and custom-made bevel edged glass tops.

He paid $1300 three years ago (and bought it on sale from $1900) and paid a combined total of $500 for the glass placed on top (I didn't know it was so expensive).

The desk, hutch and return are still in very good shape. Is it realistic to get $800 out of this thing via craigslist?
                      Expensive desks are hard to sell. You'll probably do well to get $500. Browse the craigslist ads where you live and see if you can find anything similar to give you an idea of a fair price.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott R Nelson View Post
                        If it's worth that much to somebody, yes.

But you'll have to deal with a lot of flakes who will try to get you to drop the price, or say they want it then never get back with you, or want to make monthly payments, or want to trade you something else. Craigslist works great to get a huge audience for what you're selling. But many of the people in that huge audience are often people you really would rather not deal with.

But at least it only costs time to advertise things there.
                        I saw a listing for what appears to be a very early 90s entertainment center. It looks like it has that pale, white-washed Oak looking veneer stuff. They want, I'm not kidding, $300. It looks like it will fit a standard definition 27 inch TV. It looks like the kind of thing that comes in a box that you would have bought at Target for $150 back in 1991.
                        Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

I saw a listing for what appears to be a very early 90s entertainment center. It looks like it has that pale, white-washed Oak looking veneer stuff. They want, I'm not kidding, $300. It looks like it will fit a standard definition 27 inch TV. It looks like the kind of thing that comes in a box that you would have bought at Target for $150 back in 1991.
                          It's not hard to find Craigslist ads with prices that bear no resemblance to reality. And I'm sure the people wonder why nobody was interested in whatever they were selling.

Comment

We gave a bunch of stuff to my niece and her husband when they got married - sofa, chairs, kitchen table, etc, etc, etc.

A year ago, they moved in with us -she was our live-in nanny until her husband finished school at BYU. They're moving out, headed off to law school now, and somehow they thought we wanted all the stuff back.

"Ummmm - nope. It's your stuff now. Get rid of it."

One ad an Craigslist, and all of it - and more! - was gone in a couple hours...

"Free" apparently has a lot of pull in Utah County. And most of it was actually in very good shape. That probably made it easier. We likely could have sold a lot of it, but I simply don't want to be bothered. I just want it out of my basement.

I'm now planning on at least one more repeat of the Craigslist ad, and I hope to be able to park three cars in my garage again...

Comment

Expensive desks are hard to sell. You'll probably do well to get $500. Browse the craigslist ads where you live and see if you can find anything similar to give you an idea of a fair price.
                              Furniture seems to depreciate more / faster than just about any other major purchase. I wonder why that is?
                              "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

Comment

Originally posted by statman View Post
                                "Free" apparently has a lot of pull in Utah County.
                                The Free section of For Sale usually gets very quick results everywhere. I've used it before to get rid of stuff. You still have to deal with a lot of flakes, but as long as you don't promise to hold something for someone who never shows you can quickly get rid of lots of things.

Comment

Working...
                                X