The $h#& you see on craigslist...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Craigslist - At least half seem to be flakes there

I don't use craiglist very often, but it has worked out a few times to buy and sell motorcycles, parts, and riding gear. I have learned to assume as a buyer or a seller than at least half of the people I'll be dealing with there will be flakes.

Lately I've only used it to find a new home for free stuff. Usually once my stack of empty moving boxes gets past 20 out in the garage I'll place a free stuff ad and someone will happily come claim them. It usually works well for furniture items too.

This week I'm replacing a tree in my front yard. It's an eight foot tall blue spruce that surely will be growing into my house in ten years, so I'll be putting a more normal tree in its place. I didn't want to destroy the tree if somebody else could use it, so I wrote up a craigslist ad offering it free to anybody who would come help me dig it up. It would be a lot more work to save the root ball of the tree than to destroy it.

BlueSpruce.jpg

I didn't want to include my phone or address, so it was a two step process, answer by email, I'll send a phone number, then call to make arrangements. I had four responses from enthusiastic people before pulling the ad. I sent the first one my phone number, waiting for a call - nothing. Sent my number to the second one - nothing. Wrote up a new message and sent it to all four - nothing.

So I cut up the tree to make it easier to take out by myself, got it out of there, and never did hear from anybody. I knew going in that this could happen, but it's still annoying to get four flakes who claimed they wanted it, but couldn't be bothered to make a phone call as the second step.

At least now I don't feel as bad about cutting up the tree - I tried.

Comment

Bump
      Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Bump
        Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Bump

Comment

Bump

Comment

Originally posted by Scott R Nelson View Post
              So I cut up the tree to make it easier to take out by myself, got it out of there, and never did hear from anybody. I knew going in that this could happen, but it's still annoying to get four flakes who claimed they wanted it, but couldn't be bothered to make a phone call as the second step.

At least now I don't feel as bad about cutting up the tree - I tried.
              Why didn't you just wait for christmas and cut it down and take into the house?

"If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
              "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
              "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

BTW, what's up with all the craigslist threads?
                "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                  BTW, what's up with all the craigslist threads?
                  There was nothing more recent than 2011, which is why I started a new one.

Didn't find "The official craigslist thread" or anything in there.

Comment

Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                    Bump
                    I may be in the minority, but I think bumping 5 old threads is way more annoying than someone starting one new one.

Comment

• Originally posted by chrisrenrut View Post
                      I may be in the minority, but I think bumping 5 old threads is way more annoying than someone starting one new one.
                      It's just another quirk that I love about this place. Embrace it.

Comment

• Definitely should have put the rant about flakes on Craigslist in this thread about meeting women.
                        Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                          Bump
                          What happens in Vegas - stays in Vegas.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
                          -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

• Originally posted by chrisrenrut View Post
                            I’m in the minority with you. Never understood the thread nazi tendencies.
                            PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Lol.

Comment

• babs sighting

Comment

Working...
                                X