Dress Shirts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by falafel View Post

I just bought another 5 shirts myself, although I won't be keeping them all. Experimenting with some sizing.
    The problem with slim shirts is they narrow the shirt all over, not just around the mid-section. That's a problem for me around the shoulders and upper arms and the chest to a lesser extent. At least with TM Lewin, if you go up a half inch on the neck on a slim, you get all the room around the chest, shoulders and arms that you had with the regular shirt a half inch down (actually more room). Most importantly, it doesn't seem like they narrow down the sleeves.
    Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
      The problem with slim shirts is they narrow the shirt all over, not just around the mid-section. That's a problem for me around the shoulders and upper arms and the chest to a lesser extent. At least with TM Lewin, if you go up a half inch on the neck on a slim, you get all the room around the chest, shoulders and arms that you had with the regular shirt a half inch down (actually more room). Most importantly, it doesn't seem like they narrow down the sleeves.
      I have the exact same issue as you do with the CT slims, btw. Super narrow in the shoulders, to the point where it is almost tight across my upper arm, and then fairly wide around the waist. Very odd design. I'm not sure who it suits.
      Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

I have the exact same issue as you do with the CT slims, btw. Super narrow in the shoulders, to the point where it is almost tight across my upper arm, and then fairly wide around the waist. Very odd design. I'm not sure who it suits.
        I wear CT extra slim shirts. They fit me just fine. I just got four of them in last month and took them in to have the sleeve length altered on all of them. I'm about a 32.5 sleeve length so I can't really wear them off the shelf. The funny thing is that each time I take them in for altering, the vietnamese lady remarks on how odd it is that they are all the same size shirt but she has to cut off anywhere from 0.5 inches to 1.25 inches to get them altered to the correct length for me. I once had CT alter them to 32.5 inches and found they still varied a lot, so I no longer trust them on sleeve length. I do have one shirt that has an abnormally high collar, which I figure is just part of their less than stellar quality control process. But that's the only shirt I've had an issue with out of 16 or so I've purchased over the years. I like them and they fit me really well. I especially like the thin fabric ones for hte hot summers in Houston.
        "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
          I wear CT extra slim shirts. They fit me just fine. I just got four of them in last month and took them in to have the sleeve length altered on all of them. I'm about a 32.5 sleeve length so I can't really wear them off the shelf. The funny thing is that each time I take them in for altering, the vietnamese lady remarks on how odd it is that they are all the same size shirt but she has to cut off anywhere from 0.5 inches to 1.25 inches to get them altered to the correct length for me. I once had CT alter them to 32.5 inches and found they still varied a lot, so I no longer trust them on sleeve length. I do have one shirt that has an abnormally high collar, which I figure is just part of their less than stellar quality control process. But that's the only shirt I've had an issue with out of 16 or so I've purchased over the years. I like them and they fit me really well. I especially like the thin fabric ones for hte hot summers in Houston.
          Same issue for me. The sleeve lengths vary wildly.
          Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Well that settles it. Chubby guys prefer the fit of TM Lewin to CT Shirts.

I’ll bet money the square weave shirt you hate has the classic collar; I’ve warned on here to stay away from those.
            Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
              Well that settles it. Chubby guys prefer the fit of TM Lewin to CT Shirts.

I’ll bet money the square weave shirt you hate has the classic collar; I’ve warned on here to stay away from those.
              My arms haven't gotten chubby, and my complaint isn't about not having enough room around the midsection. The other CT slim shirts aren't narrowed down in the sleeves. I could have a 32 inch waist and the sleeves on the white shirt would still be too small for my arms. Another complaint I have is the CT slim shirts don't narrow things down enough around the waist. This not merely my opinion based off trying the two different shirts on:

http://www.shirtdetective.com/charle...t-vs-tm-lewin/

CT Slim -- 3 inch spread between chest and waist, less room at chest and more room at waist. TM Lewin -- 5 inch spread, more room at chest and less room at waist. More room at chest = more room at the shoulders. That said, for all I know TM Lewin will ship a slim shirt with Cousin Eddie sleeves.

The lightweight herringbone shirt I got in this batch is quite nice, might be my favorite overall of this recent shirts I bought. It's also super easy to press and it doesn't become a wrinkled mess during the day. This might be a classic collar, but the spread collars look ridiculous.

https://www.ctshirts.com/us/slim-fit...ve-herringbone
              Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
                The problem with slim shirts is they narrow the shirt all over, not just around the mid-section. That's a problem for me around the shoulders and upper arms and the chest to a lesser extent.
                That's the biggest drawback with my Brooks Brothers Milanos. I would also like quarter-inch sizing increments, but that isn't as big of a deal.

The suitsupply traveller shirts I have are great in this regard. Plenty of taper/fit in the waist and midsection, but the shoulder and chest areas have just enough room without being loose. The side seam gussets are a nice touch, too. They're at a different price point than a CT or even BB at the frequent sale discount pricing, though, so it isn't an apples-to-apples comparison.
                "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

• Charles Tyrwhitt shirts are on a big sale. They have a ton of shirts for $29.95. https://www.ctshirts.com/us/mens-shirts/

Shipping is $13 though.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• donde' esta white textured, or subtle pattern church shirts? Maybe it's just the difficulty of seeing patterns on a monitor, but looking on Twillory or Charles Tyrwhitt, their white shirts look like a less transparent Mr. Mac mission special. I picked up this, which i like a lot but would like to find something less expensive, to replace my fading white shirts for church/temple/fhe/minsterting/missionary service,

A few years ago, John W Nordstrom had both a herringbone and pebbled shirt, I like a lot. Whenever it showed up at the Rack in my size, I would snag several. I'm not sure they still make it, or it might just not make it to the discount bin.
                    Last edited by Art Vandelay; 04-13-2019, 04:54 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
                      donde' esta white textured, or subtle pattern church shirts? Maybe it's just the difficulty of seeing patterns on a monitor, but looking on Twillory or Charles Tyrwhitt, their white shirts look like a less transparent Mr. Mac mission special. I picked up this, which i like a lot but would like to find something less expensive, to replace my fading white shirts for church/temple/fhe/minsterting/missionary service,

A few years ago, John W Nordstrom had both a herringbone and pebbled shirt, I like a lot. Whenever it showed up at the Rack in my size, I would snag several. I'm not sure they still make it, or it might just not make it to the discount bin.
                      Try TM Lewin. They have herringbone white shirts. If you search "ctshirts" on Google, it triggers a link to TM Lewin where all the shirts (a subsection of all their available shirts) are $29.99 with free shipping.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

donde' esta white textured, or subtle pattern church shirts? Maybe it's just the difficulty of seeing patterns on a monitor, but looking on Twillory or Charles Tyrwhitt, their white shirts look like a less transparent Mr. Mac mission special. I picked up this, which i like a lot but would like to find something less expensive, to replace my fading white shirts for church/temple/fhe/minsterting/missionary service,

lol
                        Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

Try TM Lewin. They have herringbone white shirts. If you search "ctshirts" on Google, it triggers a link to TM Lewin where all the shirts (a subsection of all their available shirts) are $29.99 with free shipping.
                          Thanks. That worked, just as you described

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• I recently went to church and didn't wear a tie. I work in the clerk's office and see and talk to dozens of people on a casual level on Sunday - nobody said a thing. I felt guilty though - as if I was calling attention to myself, in the end I just leave the knot loose and don't worry about it.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
                            -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

• Someone pointed out to me, when looking for a white patterned shirt, it is much easier to see said pattern, by looking at same shirt in color. With that said, I still haven't been able find a white on white checkered shirt. I had 2 of these in the past, which I really liked. I haven't seen them at the Rack for quite awhile. This is probably a good indication, it is an out of date look.

Comment

Someone pointed out to me, when looking for a white patterned shirt, it is much easier to see said pattern, by looking at same shirt in color. With that said, I still haven't been able find a white on white checkered shirt. I had 2 of these in the past, which I really liked. I haven't seen them at the Rack for quite awhile. This is probably a good indication, it is an out of date look.

By checkered, do you mean windowpane?
                                Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Working...
                                X