Dress Shirts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dress Shirts

This is a thread for talk about Dress Shirts.

So, as a new p.s. teacher, I'm sizing up the fashion trends among my colleagues, and thinking I'm going to join the 'dresses professionally' group instead of the school-sweatshirt group (of which Faith is a member). This doesn't mean suits, but it will tend to mean dress shirts, sports coats, pants or jeans, sometimes ties, belt, and NOT sneakers.

I really don't know much about dress shirts, except that I own one that I really like -- an Enro something that feels really substantial (but still breathable) compared to anything I had ever previously owned (cheap JCPenny shirts for church and mission). I have no idea about the rep of Enro, but I picked it up in Montana at the only men's fashion store in my home town (the only place in the city where you can buy a tailored suit). It cost me $55, but the quality and feel are so much better than my previous Dress Shirts so that the price seems very reasonable. It is a button-collar... not sure where that fits on the fashionista spectrum. I hate to iron, and this Enro is a Non Iron shirt that actually looks crisp without ironing.

Dress Shirt advice, please.

You'll need to give us a few more details about what you want in a dress shirt. I gather that you don't want to iron and/or don't want to sent shirts to the cleaners. Is that right?
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
      You'll need to give us a few more details about what you want in a dress shirt. I gather that you don't want to iron and/or don't want to sent shirts to the cleaners. Is that right?
      I definitely don't want to iron, but I would be willing to send out to the cleaners, assuming that with an undershirt and no strenuous activity, I could get a couple of wearings out of a shirt.

The thing that I noticed most about the Enro, compared to dress shirts I have owned before that (mission/church shirts) is that the material LOOKS and FEELS soooo much nicer. I've got a colleague who wears deacon shirts (cheap), and they just look bad. Every time I see him wearing one of these Target shirts, I have flashbacks to passing the sacrament. I definitely don't want that.

As far as style goes, I'd prefer to look modern/contemporary. I don't know how fashion-impaired it makes me sound, but Banana Republic billboards feature models that seem to strike a nice upstyle-casual look that appeals to my naive eye.

Comment

Originally posted by RobinFinderson View Post
        I definitely don't want to iron, but I would be willing to send out to the cleaners, assuming that with an undershirt and no strenuous activity, I could get a couple of wearings out of a shirt.

The thing that I noticed most about the Enro, compared to dress shirts I have owned before that (mission/church shirts) is that the material LOOKS and FEELS soooo much nicer. I've got a colleague who wears deacon shirts (cheap), and they just look bad. Every time I see him wearing one of these Target shirts, I have flashbacks to passing the sacrament. I definitely don't want that.

As far as style goes, I'd prefer to look modern/contemporary. I don't know how fashion-impaired it makes me sound, but Banana Republic billboards feature models that seem to strike a nice upstyle-casual look that appeals to my naive eye.
        Banana republic has quite a few non-iron types, I believe, but I'm not the best person to ask on that since I hate non-iron shirts. I just don't like the feel vs. 100% cotton. Also, I wold never pay full price for a BR shirt. Not a bad shirt, but way overpriced.

One place you might try is Burlington Coat Factory (assuming they have those in LA?). It sounds kinda funny, but many of them actually carry very nice brands (and a load of really crappy brands). If you're patient, you can find some very nice shirts (much nicer than Enzo) in the $30-$40 range.
        Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

I really like the Nordstrom brand shirts, especially their trim or slim fit style. I don't know your body proportions, but I hate when a shirt fits nicely around the shoulders but incredibly baggy around the waist.

With the men's half yearly sale coming up soon, you should be able to get them at a good price.

Comment

Banana republic has quite a few non-iron types, I believe, but I'm not the best person to ask on that since I hate non-iron shirts. I just don't like the feel vs. 100% cotton. Also, I wold never pay full price for a BR shirt. Not a bad shirt, but way overpriced.

One place you might try is Burlington Coat Factory (assuming they have those in LA?). It sounds kinda funny, but many of them actually carry very nice brands (and a load of really crappy brands). If you're patient, you can find some very nice shirts (much nicer than Enzo) in the $30-$40 range.
            BR represents the sort of style that I am interested in, but not so much the brand. BTW, the shirt I own is an Enro shirt, and not an Enzo. I have no idea if it is a knockoff name trying to pick up some Enzo biz, but it is a very nice shirt (by my standards) that I picked up at a store that specializes in men's fashion.

So, what are some of the brands that you like? Personally, it takes me about twenty minutes to iron a shirt, and I just don't want that to become a part of my life... don't mind touching up, but a full ironing? No thanks. Local cleaners only charge $2.50 for shirts, which seems pretty reasonable.

Comment

Originally posted by filsdepac View Post
              I really like the Nordstrom brand shirts, especially their trim or slim fit style. I don't know your body proportions, but I hate when a shirt fits nicely around the shoulders but incredibly baggy around the waist.

With the men's half yearly sale coming up soon, you should be able to get them at a good price.
              I was checking out Nordstroms the other night, and the sale must have already begun, because the dress-shirt section looked about as chaotic as a Ross Dress For Less. I nearly picked up a couple of shirts then, but decided to broach the subject with the CUF collective first... honestly, a wouldn't expect to find better Dress Shirt advice anywhere.

Comment

I think you would really like the lines of shirts offered by Nordstrom. They fit all of your criteria, and can be had for pretty reasonable at the men's half yearly sale (end of December). I especially like that their shirts are longer than most in the body, so it doesn't seem like they're always coming untucked in back. These are nicer than the Enro shirt you have (I've had a couple Enros--they're not bad shirts) and will be every bit as wrinkle-free. The nicer line (JW Nordstrom) regularly goes for $70-$90, but are around $30-40 at the half yearly sale. The lower line (Nordstrom) are regularly $40-50, and go for $20 at the sale. FTR, even the lower line is nicer than Enro, IMO.
                Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

I'm a hack. And I agree 100%
                  Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Try Kohls.
                    *Banned*

Comment

I went to Nordstrom Rack the other day and picked up a couple Nordstrom brand dress shirts, "trim fit." They fit like a dream and look good, too. I was a little surprised and pleased. I also have an assortment of H&M shirts "slim fit," which look good with a skinnier tie and sleeves rolled to just below the elbows.

I will never in life ever get another "classic fit" shirt that looks like you're wearing a pirate shirt all ballooning out at the waistline like a muffin top. I feel like I did when I discovered flat front pants.

As for banana republic, their shirts haven't been doing it for me, but then I haven't tried their slim fit shirts if they have them. Their pants are about perfect and are very comfortable, but as far as my best bets on shirts, I go Kenneth Cole, Nordstrom, H & M.
                      "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

BR represents the sort of style that I am interested in, but not so much the brand. BTW, the shirt I own is an Enro shirt, and not an Enzo. I have no idea if it is a knockoff name trying to pick up some Enzo biz, but it is a very nice shirt (by my standards) that I picked up at a store that specializes in men's fashion.

So, what are some of the brands that you like? Personally, it takes me about twenty minutes to iron a shirt, and I just don't want that to become a part of my life... don't mind touching up, but a full ironing? No thanks. Local cleaners only charge $2.50 for shirts, which seems pretty reasonable.
                        Enro is a brand commonly sold at Men's Warehouse and similar clothiers. Not their bottom of the line shirt, but nothing spectacular.

And yes, RF, you can definitely get two wears per launder out of a shirt. In the winter when I'm less likely to sweat profusely, I get three wears out of some.

Comment

Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
                          Try Kohls.
                          I agree with this, too. Kohls has some decent dress shirts (and a lot of garbage). But even the best stuff at Kohls won't compare to the quality you'll get for a Norstrom shirt. And when Norstrom shirts are on sale, the price isn't that much different.

Comment

Originally posted by Commando View Post
                            I went to Nordstrom Rack the other day and picked up a couple Nordstrom brand dress shirts, "trim fit." They fit like a dream and look good, too. I was a little surprised and pleased. I also have an assortment of H&M shirts "slim fit," which look good with a skinnier tie and sleeves rolled to just below the elbows.

I will never in life ever get another "classic fit" shirt that looks like you're wearing a pirate shirt all ballooning out at the waistline like a muffin top. I feel like I did when I discovered flat front pants.

As for banana republic, their shirts haven't been doing it for me, but then I haven't tried their slim fit shirts if they have them. Their pants are about perfect and are very comfortable, but as far as my best bets on shirts, I go Kenneth Cole, Nordstrom, H & M.
                            Dude, you live in the land of plenty. You should be hitting up "Last Chance" on a regular basis. Nordstrom shirts for $10. I already posted about this somewhere else, but I even picked up a Thomas Pink (brand new, still with the tags) for $10. That's a $200 shirt.

Comment

Whoops, sorry about the Enro. I've never owned one, but I've seen a few. While I'm sure its not garbage, I think you can do better (which is good news!).

My favorite shirt designer is probably Ike Behar. The shirts I have are a bit more traditional than modern/contemporary, however, so that might not be a good place to look.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Working...
                              X