No Fracking Way!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Fracking Way!

EPA finds Fracking to be likely contributor to groundwater contamination.

This seems like a no-brainer. We need clean ground water more than we need the energy. You can learn to live with less energy consumption, but you can't learn to live without clean water.

Originally posted by RobinFinderson View Post
    EPA finds Fracking to be likely contributor to groundwater contamination.

This seems like a no-brainer. We need clean ground water more than we need the energy. You can learn to live with less energy consumption, but you can't learn to live without clean water.
    Where do you come up with the assumption that our supply of clean water is in danger, even if fracking contaminates it in the limited number of places where fracking occurs? Quite a leap.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacob View Post
      Where do you come up with the assumption that our supply of clean water is in danger, even if fracking contaminates it in the limited number of places where fracking occurs? Quite a leap.
      What do you know about aquifers? The ground water is regionally connected over vast parts of the country, and we depend on it for drinking water and agriculture.

Comment

"There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

What do you know about aquifers? The ground water is regionally connected over vast parts of the country, and we depend on it for drinking water and agriculture.
          So what's the evidence for your leap other than a map that doesn't tell us anything about whether geographically limited fracking is dangerously limiting our supply of clean water?

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
            Too bad we don't have anybody on CUF with expertise in this field to shed some light on this.
            "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

Comment

I hear Dayton, Ohio has terrible groundwater.
              "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

So what's the evidence for your leap other than a map that doesn't tell us anything about whether geographically limited fracking is dangerously limiting our supply of clean water?
                If you are willing to concede that fracking should only happen in regions where the ground water has been proven to be unconnected to significant aquifers, maybe we can find some common ground. Perhaps Jeff can enlighten us with an expert opinion on how this might limit the use of fracking.

Comment

right, because the burden of proof rests with a party other than the one with the power to potentially contaminate vast amounts of life-sustaining fresh water.
                  Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

If you are willing to concede that fracking should only happen in regions where the ground water has been proven to be unconnected to significant aquifers, maybe we can find some common ground. Perhaps Jeff can enlighten us with an expert opinion on how this might limit the use of fracking.
                    I would not be willing to concede that fracking should only happen in regions where the ground water has been proven to be unconnected to significant aquifers. From reading the article you provided, it seems that connection is one of many important factors and that proximity matters a lot, too. Notice how they only seem concerned about that one town in Wyoming?
                    τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

I like the map. I'm convinced.
                      "In conclusion, let me give a shout-out to dirty sex. What a great thing it is" - Northwestcoug
                      "And you people wonder why you've had extermination orders issued against you." - landpoke
                      "Can't . . . let . . . foolish statements . . . by . . . BYU fans . . . go . . . unanswered . . . ." - LA Ute

Comment

I'll concede it as soon as I see some evidence that this poses some such danger to "significant aquifers". The article you linked made no such claim. I'm not making any claims myself, just asking why you made a seemingly large leap to a seemingly unwarranted conclusion. You may have more information you haven't shared here.

Originally posted by camleish View Post
                        right, because the burden of proof rests with a party other than the one with the power to potentially contaminate vast amounts of life-sustaining fresh water.
                        Burden of proof? Yes, anyone proposing to stop fracking because "we can live will less energy" should certainly bare the buren of making a prima facie case that the alleged danger to our nations supply of clean water exists.
                        Do you disagree?

Comment

So because ground water was contaminated in a region where fracing was taking place in close proximity to ground well water then we should ban it everywhere?

Fracing needs to be regulated, but it's clearly safe in areas where you are drilling 8,000 feet below the earth and 7,800 feet below any aquifers. Well, clearly safe if you follow appropriate regulation like sealing the well and disposing properly of chemicals and ground water.
                          "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by All-American View Post
                            I would not be willing to concede that fracking should only happen in regions where the ground water has been proven to be unconnected to significant aquifers. From reading the article you provided, it seems that connection is one of many important factors and that proximity matters a lot, too. Notice how they only seem concerned about that one town in Wyoming?
                            I was confused by what the article was saying. On the one hand, fracking supposedly happens far below the aquifers. Cool, but how far below, and how close do the fractures get to the aquifers, and how is the drill-hole protected so that materials passing through the aquifer region don't leach out?

Also, as you note, proximity is an issue, but these contaminated wells aren't drawing water from below the aquifer, so this is presumably superficial proximity. And if there is superficial contamination, what contains the leaching chemicals?

I can't pretend to be an expert on fracking, or its potential to contaminate groundwater, but I have studied groundwater as a natural resource (especially in the SJV), and the mass contamination of aquifers would absolutely economically devastate this country. This seems like a definite 'proceed with exceeding caution' kind of issue.

Comment

Water doesn't flow from North Dakota to Idaho and it can't flow uphill so let them drill away.

Comment

Working...
                              X