THE (tm) Official End of ... THE (tm) Ohio St. ... Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by woot View Post
    That's funny. Obviously cherry-picked stats, not to mention that "general studies" is often a major you declare before you actually choose one. And I thought everybody knew that "communication" is a total blow-off major. "Family resource management"? Seriously?

Of course the funniest thing here is Urban bringing up anything at all academic in a comparison between the two schools. He'd do best to avoid that topic.
    I just think it is funny he went down this road. Yes. UM is a great school and is ranked up there. Do I think they are better than tOSU? In some areas.. I think they are both great schools.. He is looking to stir the pot any way possible.. Tressel went a different route as far as respect.. Urban.. He is going in a different direction..

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie View Post
      Good call by Urban, convincing that many kids to get a criminology degree. Are those the guys ultimately vying for a grad assistant job?

As to his speech posted earlier - I know he's a good coach. I know he gives a good talk and gets people excited. But do they really believe him? I mean, when he says stuff like "Ohio is my home" do they wonder about the fact that he told Utah and Florida similar things?
      if he is still here beyond 6 years I will be surprised.. Although. He IS in fact from Ohio.. But I am leary of such comments..

Comment

Originally posted by woot View Post
        That's funny. Obviously cherry-picked stats, not to mention that "general studies" is often a major you declare before you actually choose one. And I thought everybody knew that "communication" is a total blow-off major. "Family resource management"? Seriously?

Of course the funniest thing here is Urban bringing up anything at all academic in a comparison between the two schools. He'd do best to avoid that topic.
        That reminded me of a 1970s broadcast of a Nebraska-Oklahoma football game where the players were introduced by way of name, position, hometown, and major. It seemed the entire Sooner squad was majoring in Physical Education.

But I'm somewhat worried about potential responses from Nebraska fans when the topic of academics comes up. Husker fans quickly pull out of their auto-reply wallet the number of Nebraska football academic all-Americans. And that invites a comparison of academic ranking between Nebraska and the rest of the Big Ten as well as mentioning Nebraska's exodus from the AAU.

I think the graduation rates of football players is an important stat; especially those not drafted into the NFL. That's something that Nebraska does use on the recruiting trail. "Your son will leave our university with a degree and we'll do everything we can possibly do to support him academically. If he goes to university of XXXXX, there's a good possibility he won't graduate because they have a poor record of graduating their football players. University XXXX is a great university but what value is it to him if he doesn't leave with a degree? And if he doesn't get drafted into the NFL, then what?"
        “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
        "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

Comment

Originally posted by dabrockster View Post
          if he is still here beyond 6 years I will be surprised.. Although. He IS in fact from Ohio.. But I am leary of such comments..
          Please know - I'm just poking fun. I do tend to think Urban is a bit of a weasel.

I think it's funny that he claimed part of the reason he left Florida and the SEC was related to how hard-core folks are and the dirty politics of recruiting...which he seems to have brought with him.

And I think it's funny how every new job he comes into he acts as if the school, players, fans, students, etc. are the love that he has spent his entire life looking for and could NEVER leave.

I find many of his methods downright silly. From "team over there" to urinal cakes to countdown clocks to declared major of players smack.

But he is a fabulously successful football coach.

I kind of wonder at times what role the silly methods play in his success as a coach. It seems if he could find a way to coach without them, there would be few faults to point out. But maybe that is what you have to put up with...

For the record - if he was coaching a team I cheered for, I would be excited to have him as a coach. But somewhat ambivalent towards what seems like juvenile rivalry crap. It would be tough to respect him entirely knowing that in some ways he acts like he's still in Jr. High.

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie View Post
            Please know - I'm just poking fun. I do tend to think Urban is a bit of a weasel.

I think it's funny that he claimed part of the reason he left Florida and the SEC was related to how hard-core folks are and the dirty politics of recruiting...which he seems to have brought with him.

And I think it's funny how every new job he comes into he acts as if the school, players, fans, students, etc. are the love that he has spent his entire life looking for and could NEVER leave.

I find many of his methods downright silly. From "team over there" to urinal cakes to countdown clocks to declared major of players smack.

But he is a fabulously successful football coach.

I kind of wonder at times what role the silly methods play in his success as a coach. It seems if he could find a way to coach without them, there would be few faults to point out. But maybe that is what you have to put up with...

For the record - if he was coaching a team I cheered for, I would be excited to have him as a coach. But somewhat ambivalent towards what seems like juvenile rivalry crap. It would be tough to respect him entirely knowing that in some ways he acts like he's still in Jr. High.
            It's all good. I am sure DDD is just poking fun at me as well (But damn. He trolls well on this one.. ;-) )

And as for Urban and his antics.. As my Buddy on the other site says.

"Man, Urban is a bastard.. But I am just happy he is OUR bastard"..

Comment

Movie called Touchback.. Has a few scenes with tOSU stadium in the trailer.. Nice.......

[YOUTUBE]37Z7sXbrncs[/YOUTUBE]

Comment

Urb will be in Utah next week at a conference I'm attending here in SLC. He is one of the keynote speakers. My guess is that he will speak to the importance of teamwork or practice or planning or whatever other business cliche is appropriate. I plan on holding up a newspaper and pretending to read it the entire time he is speaking.
                Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                  Urb will be in Utah next week at a conference I'm attending here in SLC. He is one of the keynote speakers. My guess is that he will speak to the importance of teamwork or practice or planning or whatever other business cliche is appropriate. I plan on holding up a newspaper and pretending to read it the entire time he is speaking.
                  I expect you to shout derogatory comments or snort and roll your eyes as often as possible..

If you can throw in a comment about the trend of arrested players continuing at tOSU I would appreciate it..

Truthfully if you can video it (Yelling the arrested comment) and post it here, I would purchase a $25 gift card from Chipotle and send it to you..

Comment

Originally posted by dabrockster View Post
                    I expect you to shout derogatory comments or snort and roll your eyes as often as possible..

If you can throw in a comment about the trend of arrested players continuing at tOSU I would appreciate it..

Truthfully if you can video it (Yelling the arrested comment) and post it here, I would purchase a $25 gift card from Chipotle and send it to you..
                    I don't think it would be a wise career move for me to heckle the keynote speaker at a fundraising conference (the $25 gift card offer notwithstanding).

sigpic

Comment

I don't think it would be a wise career move for me to heckle the keynote speaker at a fundraising conference (the $25 gift card offer notwithstanding).
                      How about $50..

Comment

A newspaper? Why not a BYU football media guide. Or better (now) one from Michigan?

Also - if at any point you need to talk about him, I think you should refer to him as the "man up in front" rather than by name.

Comment

Urban's new place in C-Bus.. In Muirfield Estates (Where the Memorial Tournament is played)..

Not sure which hole this is off but nice view...

http://cbrmls.columbusrealtors.com/D...27&s=CBR&t=CBR

Comment

Nice Q&A:

Spring Practice begins March 28th.. Spring Football game is April 21st!!!!

http://www.cleveland.com/osu/index.s...er_waitin.html

Comment

So DDD, how was the speech? Or did you enjoy the Tribune during that time..

Interview of Urban by Salt Lake Tribune
                              [YOUTUBE]bYZnLqE7GRQ&feature=player_embedded#![/YOUTUBE]

Comment

It was a really interesting address that he gave. Barely anybody was there because he showed up almost 4 hours late and the conference had ended. he was supposed to speak at lunch but didnt arrive until around 3:30, I think. I was texting some folks throughout to give them updates because he said a lot of stuff that I thought was really fascinating, especially one of the reasons for his "health-related" absence.

I spoke with him briefly afterward and was able to ask him a question that I've wondered about for quite some time (it was a respectful question) and he was really gracious.

This was on Friday afternoon. He said he was leaving the conference to go work out at the U and then have dinner with Whit. Imagine being one of the new Utah football players at the facilities on a Fri afternoon and in walks Urb. That would be pretty wild.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X