Page 67 of 68 FirstFirst ... 175765666768 LastLast
Results 1,981 to 2,010 of 2016

Thread: THE (tm) Official End of ... THE (tm) Ohio St. ... Thread

Default THE (tm) Official End of ... THE (tm) Ohio St. ... Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Lol. You guys realize that the NCAA is quite literally all of the colleges and universities in the US that have sports teams? Yes, let’s eliminate the NCAA. Seems like a great plan.

Consistency in doling out punishment for rules violations is virtually impossible because what constitutes consistency or fairness is completely subjective. You couldn’t make everyone happy even if god himself were making the rulings from on high. Fans are irrational.
    The NCAA (An organization that took in over a Billion in revenue) serves what purpose? Regulating schools and ensuring equality across each Division? To me, it is an organization that cannot be fair and balanced when so much of its revenue is tied to football and basketball. It is Judge, Jury and Executioner on all athletes. To me, this current process is tainted by the fact they are swayed by major conferences and schools with more power, while they are heavy handed on those who have less. They sit there and sale their NCAA apparel on the backs of Student Athletes and then punish them when they are unable to afford simple things.

Do I think a 2 game suspension was fair. Yes, Chase Young was honest and Ohio St. got in front of this and I think that helped reduce it from the possible 4 game suspension. But then you see cases like Yoeli (Did not know much about until now. Do not follow basketball) and that suspension was not fair at all. These inconsistencies need to be addressed.

They have too much power and need to be broken up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by imanihonjin View Post
    I don't recall advocating getting rid of the NCAA....that doesn't mean I don't still loathe it. While I don't disagree that fairness can be subjective, I would love to hear your subjective analysis as to how 2 games in this situation can be reconciled with some of the other stiffer penalties for issues that were, at least on their face, lesser infractions.
    I think Ohio State should have been given the death penalty. No football for ten years. Yoeli should have been required to miss the exhibition game. That seems fair.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Quote Originally Posted by dabrockster View Post
    The NCAA (An organization that took in over a Billion in revenue) serves what purpose? Regulating schools and ensuring equality across each Division? To me, it is an organization that cannot be fair and balanced when so much of its revenue is tied to football and basketball. It is Judge, Jury and Executioner on all athletes. To me, this current process is tainted by the fact they are swayed by major conferences and schools with more power, while they are heavy handed on those who have less. They sit there and sale their NCAA apparel on the backs of Student Athletes and then punish them when they are unable to afford simple things.

Do I think a 2 game suspension was fair. Yes, Chase Young was honest and Ohio St. got in front of this and I think that helped reduce it from the possible 4 game suspension. But then you see cases like Yoeli (Did not know much about until now. Do not follow basketball) and that suspension was not fair at all. These inconsistencies need to be addressed.

They have too much power and need to be broken up.
    What exactly does it mean to break up the NCAA? Abolish college sports? Eliminate any kind of governing body or rules? How would this work?
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

I think Ohio State should have been given the death penalty. No football for ten years. Yoeli should have been required to miss the exhibition game. That seems fair.

LOL.. Keep dreaming. Maybe the NCAA will field that complaint since they are all we got..

What exactly does it mean to break up the NCAA? Abolish college sports? Eliminate any kind of governing body or rules? How would this work?
    Eliminate sports? No. Again, what is it’s main purpose? And what are the ramifications of federal laws vs. an organization who creates the rules.. They are the sole decision maker on all punishments. Why can’t every University adjust to govern themselves knowing the possible lawsuits or government intervention when they break the laws that would be established.

This system seems way archaic and again.. Controlled by one organization that is now built on money and is living very well off the hog they like to butcher....

Eliminate sports? No. Again, what is it’s main purpose? And what are the ramifications of federal laws vs. an organization who creates the rules.. They are the sole decision maker on all punishments. Why can’t every University adjust to govern themselves knowing the possible lawsuits or government intervention when they break the laws that would be established.
    Govern themselves? You think that would be more fair?

And what would be the basis of the lawsuits or "government intervention" if there is no longer an organization that sets rules agreed upon by the members?

This is incredibly naive.

This system seems way archaic and again.. Controlled by one organization that is now built on money and is living very well off the hog they like to butcher....
    This "one organization" is US universities. Are you arguing that they should not be allowed to govern themselves?

Easy fix. Allow college athletes to be paid. Or allow teams to be divided into two different classifications, one for univ that elect to pay athletes and one with no pay. Then OSU, Alabama and all of them can just pay players and the NCAA won’t have to hand out inconsistent punishments.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Govern themselves? You think that would be more fair?

And what would be the basis of the lawsuits or "government intervention" if there is no longer an organization that sets rules agreed upon by the members?

This is incredibly naive.

This "one organization" is US universities. Are you arguing that they should not be allowed to govern themselves?
    Maybe I didn’t make it clear but there would be rules in place. Federal rules. This can allow for the regulations needed.

I think this notion that the Universities are in control as members of the NCAA is a false narrative of what is really taking place. This organization is in control and if you want to be a part of any athletics you are forced to abide by their rules and punishments. You leave, no more sports.

That is a Monopoly. And again, this is not some NonProfit organization doing goodwill. It is a NFL-style Nonprofit..

Maybe I didn’t make it clear but there would be rules in place. Federal rules. This can allow for the regulations needed.

I think this notion that the Universities are in control as members of the NCAA is a false narrative of what is really taking place. This organization is in control and if you want to be a part of any athletics you are forced to abide by their rules and punishments. You leave, no more sports.

That is a Monopoly. And again, this is not some NonProfit organization doing goodwill. It is a NFL-style Nonprofit..

Pass. I don't want the Federal government to get involved. The other stuff you mention is just kind of nonsense.

Crazy talk. The NCAA is literally made up of the member institutions. They vote on policies and rules. Who do you think controls it?

Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    Easy fix. Allow college athletes to be paid. Or allow teams to be divided into two different classifications, one for univ that elect to pay athletes and one with no pay. Then OSU, Alabama and all of them can just pay players and the NCAA won’t have to hand out inconsistent punishments.
    No, that doesn't fix all the problems. It is one thing to allow athletes to profit from instagram accounts, merchandising, etc. But what about payments from boosters? Does that go unchecked? In any case, there are still going to be rules involved.

No, that doesn't fix all the problems. It is one thing to allow athletes to profit from instagram accounts, merchandising, etc. But what about payments from boosters? Does that go unchecked? In any case, there are still going to be rules involved.
    Yes, payments from boosters should go unchecked.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

I really doubt the schools want that.

Quote Originally Posted by wapiti View Post
    I really doubt the schools want that.
    I doubt they want that as well. I bet they want to keep profiting from the likeness of the athletes as well. I mean, once Tua can started selling his autograph or doing commercials for pay or making money from jersey sales or signing shoe deals, that will cut into the schools profits. They sure don’t want that.

Public sentiment is changing. We aren’t very far from college athletes being paid, which I think is a good thing. I’d love for Katie Ledecky to be able to attend Stanford while making millions from her name and endorsements while being able to enjoy the college life and swimming for Stanford.

Crazy talk. The NCAA is literally made up of the member institutions. They vote on policies and rules. Who do you think controls it?
    The Pentaverate!
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

I doubt they want that as well. I bet they want to keep profiting from the likeness of the athletes as well. I mean, once Tua can started selling his autograph or doing commercials for pay or making money from jersey sales or signing shoe deals, that will cut into the schools profits. They sure don’t want that.

Public sentiment is changing. We aren’t very far from college athletes being paid, which I think is a good thing. I’d love for Katie Ledecky to be able to attend Stanford while making millions from her name and endorsements while being able to enjoy the college life and swimming for Stanford.
    It is one thing to say that an athlete ought to be able to derive income from a personal Insta account, jersey sales, etc. It is another thing entirely to say that there should be no rules or limits on boosters influencing recruits. That will never happen.

It is one thing to say that an athlete ought to be able to derive income from a personal Insta account, jersey sales, etc. It is another thing entirely to say that there should be no rules or limits on boosters influencing recruits. That will never happen.
    Not sure anyone is saying boosters going unchecked and no rules is the way to go..

The current system sucks and needs changed. Maybe the pay-to-play will force the NCAA and The Pentaverate into changing..

Not sure anyone is saying boosters going unchecked and no rules is the way to go..
    Uh...

Your stated solution is to stop allowing universities to organize and make their own rules and have the federal government take over. Commie.

Uh...

Your stated solution is to stop allowing universities to organize and make their own rules and have the federal government take over. Commie.
    The federal government mucks up everything it puts its grimy fingers on. No need for them to come in and make matters worse for CFB.

Quote Originally Posted by imanihonjin View Post
    The federal government mucks up everything it puts its grimy fingers on. No need for them to come in and make matters worse for CFB.
    I am sure if the feds took over everyone would be happy and nobody would ever complain again about inconsistency, unfairness, etc.

I am sure if the feds took over everyone would be happy and nobody would ever complain again about inconsistency, unfairness, etc.
    Or corruption. That wouldn't be possible at all.

Status quo it is!!! It’s dirty and sucks but it is not enough to want change.

I would love to hear alternatives on how they handle these types of cases. I am curious to know how Chase Young gets 2 games and Yoeli gets 9 games for something that was allegedly allowed per the NCAA..

Last edited by dabrockster; 11-14-2019 at 05:51 PM.

Gonna be a fun weekend. Go Bucks!!

https://youtu.be/I3AHFXPYx3k

This has been a fun team to watch. Even when they make mistakes it does not faze them nor shift the game. They just refocus and pull away.

I hope we get Minnesota as I am not a fan or re-matches.

I don’t see anyone stopping tOSU this year. They’re looking dangerous.

On a side note: Terrell Pryor is in critical condition from being stabbed in the chest and shoulder. It is said a woman is responsible for his assault..

It says he will make a full recovery..

https://es.pn/2DtshcB

On a side note: Terrell Pryor is in critical condition from being stabbed in the chest and shoulder. It is said a woman is responsible for his assault..

It says he will make a full recovery..

https://es.pn/2DtshcB
    Women assaulting buckeyes. That’s backwards!

Women assaulting buckeyes. That’s backwards!
    Ha! From the article it says he is up for assault as well but she is up for attempted homicide and assault

Ha! From the article it says he is up for assault as well but she is up for attempted homicide and assault

Crazy story. I wonder what was going on.

Crazy story. I wonder what was going on.
    My guess, they were drunk they got feisty and he tried to hit her and she went straight loco on him..

He is from PA and is not in the NFL right now so I am assuming he is just home doing nothing.