No announcement yet.

THE (tm) Official End of ... THE (tm) Ohio St. ... Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do people really still think the college football season will happen before October anyway? I don't expect many public schools from blue states will have a football season to start with.

Comment

• Originally posted by USUC View Post
      Do people really still think the college football season will happen before October anyway? I don't expect many public schools from blue states will have a football season to start with.
      What about with no spectators in the stadium? Or with the stadium 1/3 full or something (Ute fans won't even notice a difference)? That seems more likely to me.
      "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
      "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
      This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
      "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
      "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Comment

• sitting in the sun watching a football game in a 1/2 full stadium seems pretty safe to me
        Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Do people really still think the college football season will happen before October anyway? I don't expect many public schools from blue states will have a football season to start with.
          Nope, I think the chance of any college football happening with fans is less than 50/50. Social distancing policies for large gatherings will still be in place at the end of the summer (rightfully so). I doubt any football will happen before October and by then, it's unlikely any will happen at all. Teams will need to start practicing at least by mid-July to be ready for the season and that isn't going to happen. Then, if a small second wave hits or a coupel players on a team get COVID 19, those games will get shut down. I just don't think schools have the money to pay for the extra costs needed to run a season with the virus still hanging around.

The NFL on the other hand, I think they'll invest the money and time to have a season. Losing a season for them would be financially crippling. I think they may go the quarantine route and have sufficient testing to ensure players are not sick.
          "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
            sitting in the sun watching a football game in a 1/2 full stadium seems pretty safe to me
            Uh, you don't make the decision. People like Cuomo and Newsome make that decision. They won't even let people go to the beach.
            "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
              Uh, you don't make the decision. People like Cuomo and Newsome make that decision. They won't even let people go to the beach.
              yes
              Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                Let's not forget risk averse college administrators.

Comment

• How do they limit fan attendance in the stadium for any school that normally draws a good crowd and has season ticket holders and big booster clubs?

In order to maintain social distancing they would have to keep well more than 50% of the seats empty, maybe even only 5-10% of the seats would be usable unless you allowed groups of attendees (families?) to sit together. If you allow tickets to be ordered in groups and you simply keep the groups apart, then how you do prevent people from reselling tickets and ending up having random strangers sitting right next to each?

So how do you decide who gets in? Do you start at the top of the booster list and work your way down? What about people that have lifetime rights to specific seats? You can't guarantee all of them get their lifetime-rights seats because then they would be sitting too close together.

I could be wrong but I think they will either play football in an empty stadium (less likely) or cancel the season altogether (more likely). Limited attendance games seem like they would just not be logistically possible and would tick off too many people, especially boosters and important donors.

Comment

• NCAA President Emmett comes out and says No Schools No Sports.

We will likely know in a month.. No College Football will be a rather big blow to universities athletic budgets and to Americans mentally.

Will HS sports follow suit? I get the physical preparedness for a College athlete but I hope they look to have some shortened season vs. canceling the whole season.

https://es.pn/2WDzU9j

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
                      How do they limit fan attendance in the stadium for any school that normally draws a good crowd and has season ticket holders and big booster clubs?

In order to maintain social distancing they would have to keep well more than 50% of the seats empty, maybe even only 5-10% of the seats would be usable unless you allowed groups of attendees (families?) to sit together. If you allow tickets to be ordered in groups and you simply keep the groups apart, then how you do prevent people from reselling tickets and ending up having random strangers sitting right next to each?

So how do you decide who gets in? Do you start at the top of the booster list and work your way down? What about people that have lifetime rights to specific seats? You can't guarantee all of them get their lifetime-rights seats because then they would be sitting too close together.

I could be wrong but I think they will either play football in an empty stadium (less likely) or cancel the season altogether (more likely). Limited attendance games seem like they would just not be logistically possible and would tick off too many people, especially boosters and important donors.
                      I agree that the logistics of social distancing in a football stadium are pretty much impossible to pull off while still making opening the stadium worth the hassle from a financial standpoint.

I think the three viable options will be:

1. Cancel season

2. No fans in the stands

3. Season as usual with mask required and maybe some limits on concessions? I guess some very simple type of distancing like every other row empty could work too? But it quickly becomes just not worth it financially once you start only seating every other row.

Comment

I choose not to think about the alternative.
                        τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

• Here is an interesting thought. If PAC12 cancels their seasons.

This means USC vs Bama will not happen and Oregon vs. Ohio St. is also out.

Rumblings that it could open up a game between Ohio St. vs Bama. Games are not on the same weekend but there could be some work to make it happen..

That would be an awesome OOC game for all of us to enjoy!

Comment

• Originally posted by dabrockster View Post
                            Here is an interesting thought. If PAC12 cancels their seasons.

This means USC vs Bama will not happen and Oregon vs. Ohio St. is also out.

Rumblings that it could open up a game between Ohio St. vs Bama. Games are not on the same weekend but there could be some work to make it happen..

That would be an awesome OOC game for all of us to enjoy!

TCU and Bama I think have already agreed to play at Jerry's World (AT&T Stadium) if the Cali Pac-12 teams don't start the season. TCU is currently scheduled to play Cal week 1. Although if Ohio St vs Bama was scheduled to play at Jerry's World instead I wouldn't complain at all.
                            "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                            "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                            "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Well.. we won’t get to play them this coming season, but looks like we will get to play Bama in the future anyway..

Home-Home Series with Bama has been announced.

https://247sports.com/college/ohio-s...ama-148308257/

Comment

• Originally posted by dabrockster View Post
                                Well.. we won’t get to play them this coming season, but looks like we will get to play Bama in the future anyway..

Home-Home Series with Bama has been announced.

https://247sports.com/college/ohio-s...ama-148308257/

I found this kind of funny:

Over the last decade play, Ohio State and Alabama...have combined to win six national titles
                                Since the following is also true:

Over the last decade play, BYU and Alabama have combined to win five national titles
                                "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                                - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Working...
                                X