The RICE thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by landpoke View Post
    At the risk of outing myself, we use a Panasonic fuzzy logic cooker. It's no Zorbourisweisdeeelsieslzxxx whatever, but damn if it doesn't make the best rice I've ever had. I prefer sushi rice, plain with a little Cholula.
    You are dead to me.
    sigpic
    "Outlined against a blue, gray
    October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
    Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
      I looked up "furikake." It appears to be dried up fish. The other stuff that was recently recommended to me for the ramen noodles was more fish stuff.

gross.
      My kids love furikake. But it is a bit of an acquired taste.
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
        Rice has replaced potatoes on to many plates so I refuse to eat it.
        Attaboy. BTW, I made some killer potatoes the other day. (It can be done with rice too, for you pansy rice eaters, so this is technically not a threadjack.)

When I was barbecuing a calf shoulder last week I seared the meat and let it cook for about 12 hours. Then I put it on a bed of sliced potatoes and wrapped it in tinfoil and cooked for another 6. The juices from the meat, along with some of the rub, ran down onto the potatoes and cooked into them. They were nearly as good as the meat, but probably not a diet food.

Back to rice - I don't mind it, but I rarely eat it with meat. Sweet and sour every once in a while, and I like it with chicken and rice, but beyond that I usually eat it only for breakfast with milk and sugar, and I cook it in a pot the old fashioned way.
        sigpic
        "Outlined against a blue, gray
        October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
        Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

Originally posted by Danimal View Post
          Jasmine rice is by far the best. I can eat that plain. Marsupial almost always makes brown rice though -- healthy but not tasty. We always use the stove but Mars would like a cooker.

I grew up never eating rice except with a gravy or sauce for it, so I'm not much for just eating rice as anything but a side dish to put something on. I'll have to try with vinegar. You use just any old vinegar? Does it matter?
          I love all kinds of vinegar, so I am not too picky. Apple Cider vinegar works well. Balsamic also works well, but fitday gets pissed when I hang out with balsamic vinaigrette.
          Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

I looked up "furikake." It appears to be dried up fish. The other stuff that was recently recommended to me for the ramen noodles was more fish stuff.

gross.
            Uncultured western barbarian.
            Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

Originally posted by cowboy View Post
              You are dead to me.
              I blame the damn hippie to which I'm hitched. Hippies hate potatos.
              There's no such thing as luck, only drunken invincibility. Make it happen.

Tila Tequila and Juggalos, America’s saddest punchline since the South.

Yesterday was Thursday, Thursday
              Today is Friday, Friday (Partyin’)

Tomorrow is Saturday
              And Sunday comes afterwards

Comment

Cilantro Lime Rice

1 cup rice
                1 tbs butter (optional)
                1 can chicken broth
                Zest of 1 lime
                1 minced garlic clove
                A bunch of chopped cilantro

Combine everything but cilantro into a 2 or 3 qt saucepan. Bring it to a boil and stir a couple times. Cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes to cook the rice. When it's done, stir in the cilantro and serve. I especially like this as a side for fish tacos. I mix in some mango salsa and eat it straight up.

Comment

Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                  Cilantro Lime Rice

1 cup rice
                  1 tbs butter (optional)
                  1 can chicken broth
                  Zest of 1 lime
                  1 minced garlic clove

Combine everything but cilantro into a 2 or 3 qt saucepan. Bring it to a boil and stir a couple times. Cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes to cook the rice. When it's done, stir in the cilantro and serve. I especially like this as a side for fish tacos. I mix in some mango salsa and eat it straight up.
                  I was going to suggest something like this that involves cilantro.

I'm no rice snob, but after my mission to Korea I went and bought a rice cooker from a Korean store. It is actually a Japanese cooker though. It is nothing special. I think it is "Tiger" brand. It has the one button cooker and has the latching lid and retractable cord that was typical in Korea. It has lasted me over 10 years now and still cooks good rice except that someone used a metal utensil at some point to scoop things out of it, so the rice sticks in some places. So make sure to always use the plastic rice scooper. In my experience, the rice from cookers that don't have the latching lid doesn't taste as good. You have to get the pressure cooker type experience for it to turn out well. Besides that, any cooker will do just fine for me.

Comment

I guess I'll have to admit to being among the ranks of the uncultured.

I knew there was white rice. And I knew that there was "instant" rice. And I knew there was brown rice.

But I had abso-fricken-lutely no idea that there were multiple variations of white and brown rice.

I mean, I suppose if I had ever actually thought about it I would've known that there could be more than one variety of white and brown. But seriously, when I shop for rice I'm either grabbing a bag of brown rice or a bag of white rice. I honestly cannot tell you the "name" of any rice I've ever eaten beyond that.

Comment

Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                      Cilantro Lime Rice

1 cup rice
                      1 tbs butter (optional)
                      1 can chicken broth
                      Zest of 1 lime
                      1 minced garlic clove

This was dee-lish. I made it tonight. Thanks for posting it.
                      What's to explain? It's a bunch of people, most of whom you've never met, who are just as likely to be homicidal maniacs as they are to be normal everyday people, with whom you share the minutiae of your everyday life. It's totally normal, and everyone would understand.
                      -Teenage Dirtbag

Comment

So I was just telling Leb but will open the discussion here....I bought some replacement koshihikari and the lady at the store gave me a brand called tamanishiki. She said it is the same company and she said it is very good. Has anyone else here tried it? I have had good luck with koshihikari so I'd rather not dive into a 10 pound bag of rice if it isnt as good.

Also, for those that cook in a pot, do you soak your rice for 30 minutes? I have noticed in many videos that soaking is preferred. But in a rice cooker, I have never heard of soaking rice for any period of time prior to cooking it. An example of a "how to" video where the guy uses a Le Crouset. Ignore his gross hairy hand swirling around in the rice water, undoubtedly leaving stray hand hair in the pot.

[YOUTUBE]LCb-1_ERrsc[/YOUTUBE]

Also, why does he measure prior to rinsing? Why not rinse the rice a few times, then put it in the pot and measure??
                        Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

So I was just telling Leb but will open the discussion here....I bought some replacement koshihikari and the lady at the store gave me a brand called tamanishiki. She said it is the same company and she said it is very good. Has anyone else here tried it? I have had good luck with koshihikari so I'd rather not dive into a 10 pound bag of rice if it isnt as good.

Also, for those that cook in a pot, do you soak your rice for 30 minutes? I have noticed in many videos that soaking is preferred. But in a rice cooker, I have never heard of soaking rice for any period of time prior to cooking it. An example of a "how to" video where the guy uses a Le Crouset. Ignore his gross hairy hand swirling around in the rice water, undoubtedly leaving stray hand hair in the pot.

[YOUTUBE]LCb-1_ERrsc[/YOUTUBE]

Also, why does he measure prior to rinsing? Why not rinse the rice a few times, then put it in the pot and measure??
                          I find that if I rinse the rice prior to cooking, I avoid the brown layer of rice right at the bottom of the cooker. When I'm in a hurry and don't rinse it, the bottom grains of rice touching the pot will be brown and not fantastic (but not burned or inedible).Of course, I am using a $40 rice cooker, not a $300 Zojunisharanichi.
                          Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Best way to prepare rice and beans? I've never put the two together at home.
                            "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

Comment

I think you should try and let us know how it turns out. Take one for the team.

With a good quality rice cooker and premium rice, you don't need to soak first.

Measure water after rinsing. It makes no sense to do it otherwise.
                              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                                I think you should try and let us know how it turns out. Take one for the team.

With a good quality rice cooker and premium rice, you don't need to soak first.

Measure water after rinsing. It makes no sense to do it otherwise.
                                Tamanishiki should do just fine. I do rinse before I cool as a habit (i learned how to cook stovetop in an apartment where we had no rice cooker) but I don't soak.
                                Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

Working...
                                X