Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: What is wrong with California?

Quote Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
    If I got a job as an actuary with Pacific Life in Newport Beach, I would need to make about 225% of what I make now.
    Yep, I was once recruited by PG&E and I told them I'd need a similar raise just to keep my standard of living. I doubt I'll ever live in California, mostly because there are places just as nice that don't cost a fortune.

We have several California transplants in my area, all of which are retired. They have 6-figure pensions and they figured the money would go farther in a state like Texas so they moved. It's kind of funny that the tax payer funded pensions these people are getting are going to fuel the Texas economy.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Banned

The CST's are upon us (California Standards Test), and middle schoolers all over the state are having to step up and show the taxpayers what they did with our money. They hate it. In fact, they hate it so much that when asked, many will say that California is the 'stupidest' state of them all, and that they would gladly move to TX if it meant they would never have to take a test like the CST. If only they had the means to pick up and leave, I'd bet many of them would do it.

As I think about the potential middle-schooler diaspora, and how sad it would be to lose all of these kids, I find myself asking, "What can I do to make the CST easier on these sweet children? Should we lower our standards to those of Texas?" Then it dawns upon me... why the eff am I asking middle-schoolers whether they like or hate the CST?

We have our state standards. If businesses don't like them, they can pack up their lower standards and take them to Houston.

Quote Originally Posted by RobinFinderson View Post
    The CST's are upon us (California Standards Test), and middle schoolers all over the state are having to step up and show the taxpayers what they did with our money. They hate it. In fact, they hate it so much that when asked, many will say that California is the 'stupidest' state of them all, and that they would gladly move to TX if it meant they would never have to take a test like the CST. If only they had the means to pick up and leave, I'd bet many of them would do it.

As I think about the potential middle-schooler diaspora, and how sad it would be to lose all of these kids, I find myself asking, "What can I do to make the CST easier on these sweet children? Should we lower our standards to those of Texas?" Then it dawns upon me... why the eff am I asking middle-schoolers whether they like or hate the CST?

We have our state standards. If businesses don't like them, they can pack up their lower standards and take them to Houston.
    Well, personally I only want your retirees to move here so we get the benefit of their spending government pensions and they won't take away any jobs.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

What a progressive outlook.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

If the higher costs and standards resulted in California companies being more productive, competitive, efficient, etc. you might actually might have a point there.
    Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Banned

If the higher costs and standards resulted in California companies being more productive, competitive, efficient, etc. you might actually might have a point there.
    If we lose Google, Apple, or the entertainment industry to Texas, I might start paying more consideration to your line of thinking.

If I got a job as an actuary with Pacific Life in Newport Beach, I would need to make about 225% of what I make now.
    Do it. I used to work right there in fashion island and lived just up the road in Newport coast!
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

Well, Californians have recently been voting with their feet and moving to Texas what is it that makes you think that they won't take their businesses with them?

In a recent report, the US Census Bureau reveals that Californians are leaving California at a faster rate than residents leaving any other state.

[...]

The move from California to Texas was the number one largest national state-to-state move, with a significant lead above the number two largest move (New York to Florida - 55,011 movers). Four years earlier, one of the largest national moves was, as it is today, California to Arizona (85,497).

[...]

As CBS reports, California's lack of jobs, high housing prices and high business taxes are also likely reasons why the state's population more closely resembles 1900 than the 1950's boom when Americans flocked to the state.

[...]

As CBS reports, California's lack of jobs, high housing prices and high business taxes are also likely reasons why the state's population more closely resembles 1900 than the 1950's boom when Americans flocked to the state.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/1...n_1117049.html

Y'all need to fix your problems or turn the lights off on your way out.
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Ted View Post
    Well, Californians have recently been voting with their feet and moving to Texas what is it that makes you think that they won't take their businesses with them?

As noted by others, I'm really ok with draining CA's population. It would be interesting to see the socioeconomic makeup of the fleeing population. Again, if we lose Apple, Google and/or the entertainment industry, I might start to reconsider our standards.

Having experienced the difference between Texas and California from a business perspective first-hand, I think Robin's statement is going to be prophetic over the next ten years. Look at what happened to NYC in the 80s.

Houston already is the energy capital of the nation. They are pretty good at biomed and a number of other things too. There is a significant tech presence in Texas generally. I haven't even mentioned Dallas - I may hate it as long as we're talking about in-state rivalries, but it has formidable industry.

California has better climate and nature. You won't catch me arguing anything to the contrary. But climate and nature aren't worth what they aren't paying when you can just buy a plane ticket. And while we have hurricanes to match earthquakes, you can at least see a hurricane coming.

So says a guy who picked Texas - sight unseen, almost - over NYC, CA and UT.
    Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

As noted by others, I'm really ok with draining CA's population. It would be interesting to see the socioeconomic makeup of the fleeing population.

You can see it right now. How much debt does the state have? Is there a very big difference between the rich and the poor in California?

Quote Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
    Do it. I used to work right there in fashion island and lived just up the road in Newport coast!
    I've spent a week at the Marriott Newport villas by Crystal Cove. I really like the area and I'm sure I could land a job at Pacific Life... but the cost is beyond prohibitive.
    Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

I love CA I would move back in an instant.

We left LAX on my first visit to California since I was a kid, and I looked at the sky and said, "It's going to rain hard." The cabbie started laughing, and asked, increduously, "Rain, here?"

It was smog.

No, gracias. My sister lived in Big Sur for three years. I could live there if I were worth $100 million.
    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Quote Originally Posted by wuapinmon View Post
    We left LAX on my first visit to California since I was a kid, and I looked at the sky and said, "It's going to rain hard." The cabbie started laughing, and asked, increduously, "Rain, here?"

It was smog.

No, gracias. My sister lived in Big Sur for three years. I could live there if I were worth $100 million.
    The one thing that has been a success in CA has been air quality. It's amazingly different since the time you were here as a kid.

This state has one of the top 10 largest economies in the world and isn't going anywhere soon. (Sorry, Texans.) Government at all levels is horribly mismanaged and I don't think I want to live here in retirement, but the Golden State is a great place to live in so many ways. That's why so many jealous folks from other states root for its demise.
    “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
    ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
    -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

I've spent a week at the Marriott Newport villas by Crystal Cove. I really like the area and I'm sure I could land a job at Pacific Life... but the cost is beyond prohibitive.
    No it isn't. Just ask for a raise. From Marriott Newport, drive up Newport Coast Drive and get to the top of the hill (San Joaquin). That is right near where we lived.

Quote Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
    I love CA I would move back in an instant.
    See you there!

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    The one thing that has been a success in CA has been air quality. It's amazingly different since the time you were here as a kid.

This state has one of the top 10 largest economies in the world and isn't going anywhere soon. (Sorry, Texans.) Government at all levels is horribly mismanaged and I don't think I want to live here in retirement, but the Golden State is a great place to live in so many ways. That's why so many jealous folks from other states root for its demise.
    Truth.
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

The smog part is true from my perspective. Circa 1990 it was like Beijing. Now it's very nice.

I don't root for California's demise. I just don't care to live there at all, and the business climate is insane on a comparative basis. If I were to own a business I would avoid CA until a cost benefit was significantly more certain than in other places. Simply not worth the risk.

Quote Originally Posted by nikuman View Post
    The smog part is true from my perspective. Circa 1990 it was like Beijing. Now it's very nice.

I don't root for California's demise. I just don't care to live there at all, and the business climate is insane on a comparative basis. If I were to own a business I would avoid CA until a cost benefit was significantly more certain than in other places. Simply not worth the risk.
    An example: No public hospital company in the USA will buy or build a hospital in CA. The regulatory climate is truly insane. Maybe someday the pendulum will swing back the other way just a but.
    “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
    ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

I love California! It's the Californians I can't stand.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

An example: No public hospital company in the USA will buy or build a hospital in CA. The regulatory climate is truly insane. Maybe someday the pendulum will swing back the other way just a but.
    Really? Is this true? Your field, so you would know.

I'm not rooting for its demise. In fact, I hope it continues to limp along so LA Ute has no reason to move closer to me.

Quote Originally Posted by wuapinmon View Post
    I do not care for California because there are too many people crammed into too small an area for my liking. I think their social programs are excellent and remind me of Denmark. I also think that PAC is accurate is his observations. If I were to live in California I would not be happy because the wide open spaces are not the kind that I appreciate.

My sister lives in Big Sur and is apeshit for the place.

Just read up on this thread. Funny. I grew up in wide open, country spaces - in Nor Cal. My parents four acre lot with a stream in the back yard was 10 minutes from the closest stores. There is a ton of open space in CA - and even though LA and the Bay Area are densely populated there are HUGE...tracts of beautiful, open, undeveloped land. Just not in So Cal.
    Ute-ī sunt fīmī differtī

It can't all be wedding cake.

Signature won a Pulitzer Paperback Writer's Avatar

As noted by others, I'm really ok with draining CA's population. It would be interesting to see the socioeconomic makeup of the fleeing population. Again, if we lose Apple, Google and/or the entertainment industry, I might start to reconsider our standards.
    Quote Originally Posted by byu71 View Post
    You can see it right now. How much debt does the state have? Is there a very big difference between the rich and the poor in California?
    Correct. It's not the poor who are leaving California - Texas lacks the generous social programs California provides. It's probably not many of the wealthy either - they can afford California. It's many of the people California probably want to keep - educated upper middle class. Also, what doesn't show up are the people who choose not to locate to California in the first place. That great climate, scenery, recreation opportunities, etc. all come with a price tag. That cost was too high for me over 20 years ago and has gone up since then.
    “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
    "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

Yes, that is my biggest gripe with the California in its current state. If y'all can fix the government then the rest of the problems would most likely fix themselves.

Why are you scaring so many of your neighbors away?

Source: http://www.forbes.com/special-report...migration.html
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

This thread reminds me of this great old Gatlin Brothers song:

[YOUTUBE]z8YdlJMQy-8[/YOUTUBE]

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    I love California! It's the Californians I can't stand.
    This and my soujourn in Texas explains a lot. I'm a Cali-Texan! That might be the "most hated <insert whatever here> in America!"
    "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

This myopic mentality foreshadows our doom.

Having started a business in SF which now employs over 30+ people I can say - If we cld backtrack to 2006 and launch out of No VA, Florida, Savannah or Austin there's no doubt we wld do that. The only reason we haven't is because our lead investor likes having us in his backyard. But even he hasn't ruled out relocating us - in spite of the fact that he is from an iconic CA family that has been in the state for almost a century.

Keep losing the smaller orgs w/ 25-50 employees to Austin or Arlington and things can hit a tipping point pretty quickly.

BTW - you may be unaware that Apple and Google both partially exited CA a long time ago. Corporate Apple and Google are rooted in CA because their identity is so bonded with SV and their cachet is so rooted in their respective SV images. But both have exported huge numbers of good jobs to foreign markets. Most of Apple's desktop and laptop products are made overseas and have been for the last decade.

I say all of this as a guy born and raised in CA who still votes in CA and whose family has been there since the 1930s.
    Ute-ī sunt fīmī differtī

It can't all be wedding cake.

Quote Originally Posted by oxcoug View Post
    This myopic mentality foreshadows our doom.

Having started a business in SF which now employs over 30+ people I can say - If we cld backtrack to 2006 and launch out of No VA, Florida, Savannah or Austin there's no doubt we wld do that. The only reason we haven't is because our lead investor likes having us in his backyard. But even he hasn't ruled out relocating us - in spite of the fact that he is from an iconic CA family that has been in the state for almost a century.

Keep losing the smaller orgs w/ 25-50 employees to Austin or Arlington and things can hit a tipping point pretty quickly.

BTW - you may be unaware that Apple and Google both partially exited CA a long time ago. Corporate Apple and Google are rooted in CA because their identity is so bonded with SV and their cachet is so rooted in their respective SV images. But both have exported huge numbers of good jobs to foreign markets. Most of Apple's desktop and laptop products are made overseas and have been for the last decade.

I say all of this as a guy born and raised in CA who still votes in CA and whose family has been there since the 1930s.

Pretty typical of a "progressive". Promoting more spending and sharing of the wealth, but don't really care if the wealth leaves and goes somewhere else.

I really don't get it. Do they really think there is this huge amount of wealth out there being hidden and if only we could get our hands on it.

Yes, that is my biggest gripe with the California in its current state. If y'all can fix the government then the rest of the problems would most likely fix themselves.

Why are you scaring so many of your neighbors away?

Source: http://www.forbes.com/special-report...migration.html
    I just live here.
    ― W.H. Auden

I just live here.
    That, and you got in when the gettin' was good. My uncle, a guy that ran a ton of marathons and was ostensibly healthier than any of siblings who died last year, bought a house in the late 70s in Hillsborough, CA and all he was was a dentist. I doubt there are too many dentists buying homes like his in Hillsborough nowadays. The median price for a home is now $1.45 million. The median household income is over $200k a year.
    Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”