• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chevron moving 800 jobs from San Francisco Bay Area to Texas

Comment

• Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
      Chevron moving 800 jobs from San Francisco Bay Area to Texas
      It is sad to watch these things happen.
      “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
      ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
      -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
      --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

• Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
        Chevron moving 800 jobs from San Francisco Bay Area to Texas
        Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
        I agree but at least these jobs are going to a good place and not just going away.
        "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
        "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
        "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
          I agree but at least these jobs are going to a good place and not just going away.
          It would be better if both California and Texas could prosper.
          “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
          ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

Comment

• Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
            It would be better if both California and Texas could prosper.
            And Idaho. Don't forget the 208.
            "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
            - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
              And Idaho. Don't forget the 208.
              ― W.H. Auden

Comment

• Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
                Chevron is horribly handicapped by California. No oil and gas related company in their right mind would ever agree to California law or venue, and that includes Chevron. Also,while there is a lot of oil and gas to get in California, the legal and regulatory environment in all aspects is beyond oppressive.

One day it won't be worth it to do business there and that day is soon.
                Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

• Originally posted by nikuman View Post
                  Chevron is horribly handicapped by California. No oil and gas related company in their right mind would ever agree to California law or venue, and that includes Chevron. Also,while there is a lot of oil and gas to get in California, the legal and regulatory environment in all aspects is beyond oppressive.

One day it won't be worth it to do business there and that day is soon.
                  Correct. I work in the oil & gas industry in CA and it's surprising that Chevron has kept as much of its labor force in San Ramon for as long as it has.

Truth be told, the CEO of Chevron mentioned that it's a California company at its core, but if the company had a chance at a clean slate, it would start over in Texas.

Comment

• Steven Greenhut: New Year's predictions for California

Also: California gun sales jump; gun injuries, deaths fall
                    Last edited by LA Ute; 12-29-2012, 07:05 AM.
                    ― W.H. Auden

Comment

• Energy exploitation could be an economic solution for California but I'm not hopeful that the political establishment will allow that to happen.

EDIT: Link fixed:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...mod=hp_opinion

More here:

http://www.cougaruteforum.com/showpo...&postcount=128
                      Last edited by LA Ute; 01-16-2013, 06:49 AM.
                      ― W.H. Auden

Comment

• I have read (not from your link because it doesn't work) that California has more oil than Texas. Maybe Nevada will get smart and tap into first...

"If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                        "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                        "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

I have read (not from your link because it doesn't work) that California has more oil than Texas. Maybe Nevada will get smart and tap into first...
                          I fixed the link in my post below (it was originally to another CUF post, but now goes directly to the WSJ op-ed).

...California has Saudi Arabia-scale oil resources, notably in its largely untapped Monterey shale field, which stretches northeast for more than 200 miles from Bakersfield in central California. New technologies, especially smart, horizontal drilling and hydrofracturing, aka "fracking," make that oil accessible, and cleanly. The U.S. Energy Information Administration estimates that the Monterey shale field alone holds 15.4 billion barrels of oil, rivaling America's total conventional reserves.

California collects about $15 billion in tax revenues for every billion barrels of state oil production, according to research conducted last year by the University of Wyoming's Timothy Considine and Edward Manderson. If that is accurate, then simply by opening up Monterey oil development—no incentives, grants or state funds required—tax receipts could total $250 billion over the coming two decades. Economists Robert Hahn and Peter Passell, at the American Enterprise and Milken Institutes respectively, point to another $30 billion to $80 billion in broad economic and social benefits that ripple through an economy for every billion barrels of oil production.
                          Last edited by LA Ute; 01-16-2013, 07:04 AM.
                          ― W.H. Auden

Comment

I have read (not from your link because it doesn't work) that California has more oil than Texas. Maybe Nevada will get smart and tap into first...

Huntington Beach High School is known as the Oilers. You wouldn't know why today, but this is what it looked like back in the 20's when Standard Oil dominated the landscape. Surf City, U.S.A. is much more appealing.

"Nobody listens to Turtle."
                            -Turtle
                            sigpic

Comment

In so many ways, and certainly not just oil-related, the rest of the country has been drinking California's milk shake for years.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                                In so many ways, and certainly not just oil-related, the rest of the country has been drinking California's milk shake for years.
                                Makes sense. I now understand why the rest of the country has a gut ache.

Comment

Working...
                                X