Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: What is wrong with California?

I'd still give up a kidney just to move back.
    What's to explain? It's a bunch of people, most of whom you've never met, who are just as likely to be homicidal maniacs as they are to be normal everyday people, with whom you share the minutiae of your everyday life. It's totally normal, and everyone would understand.

-Teenage Dirtbag

Quote Originally Posted by marsupial View Post
    I'd still give up a kidney just to move back.
    My thoughts exactly. Who cares if it's good for business? I'm not a corporation. I also like the idea of people leaving California. The worst thing about California is all the damn people. I'm in Utah only because my kids are here, but someday I'm going back...can't think of a better place to live.

I agree with those who think California is a great place to live. I just think that I shouldn't have to pay for the Californians great lifestyle. So as long as California taxes it's own citizens to take care of it's budget and debts and the Federal government using my taxes isn't used, I am all for Californians living in California.

Please don't tell me that California is so important the Federal Government must bail it out. I shouldn't be paying for California's choices.

Quote Originally Posted by Non Sequitur View Post
    My thoughts exactly. Who cares if it's good for business? I'm not a corporation. I also like the idea of people leaving California. The worst thing about California is all the damn people. I'm in Utah only because my kids are here, but someday I'm going back...can't think of a better place to live.
    +1000.

My wife has been put on notice that when the kids are grown we are going. Thankfully she agrees.

And I am not going to wuss out on it like RC Vikings.
    "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

BYU Delenda Est Mormon Red Death's Avatar
    the Planet Lovetron, bringing funkiness to all over the world

Quote Originally Posted by FMCoug View Post
    +1000.

My wife has been put on notice that when the kids are grown we are going. Thankfully she agrees.

But come on... RC lives in the tropical paradise of Rexburg. It would be hard to leave that.

Sent from my SGH-T839 using Tapatalk 2
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by FMCoug View Post
    +1000.

Beautiful weather and so much to do. What other state lets you ski, surf, hike, mountain climb, see movie stars, taste wine, shop, camp, eat, go to any number of professional and collegiate sporting events, hit all sorts of museums and hang out with my family? Nope. There isn't another state that has all of that.
    What's to explain? It's a bunch of people, most of whom you've never met, who are just as likely to be homicidal maniacs as they are to be normal everyday people, with whom you share the minutiae of your everyday life. It's totally normal, and everyone would understand.

-Teenage Dirtbag

The response here is funny. As if we are all ignorant of what makes California such a great place (I always tell my wife we should retire and move to SD).

The point of Ted's linked article is that California is ranked dead last in the survey and that businesses are picking up and leaving the state. Anyone who loves California or recognizes the important role it plays in our economy ought to be alarmed by that.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    The response here is funny. As if we are all ignorant of what makes California such a great place (I always tell my wife we should retire and move to SD).

The point of Ted's linked article is that California is ranked dead last in the survey and that businesses are picking up and leaving the state. Anyone who loves California or recognizes the important role it plays in our economy ought to be alarmed by that.
    Who is leaving? Agriculture and tourism seem like it'd be a constant. I have a hard time imagining Google and the like packing up and heading out. Though smaller tech and internet companies probably have a harder time staying or setting up shop with the high taxes and cost of business. Excessive taxes and a whole lot of debt. Where is the money going? Yes, something does need to change.

But I am still California Dreamin'.

-Teenage Dirtbag

Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by byu71 View Post
    I agree with those who think California is a great place to live. I just think that I shouldn't have to pay for the Californians great lifestyle. So as long as California taxes it's own citizens to take care of it's budget and debts and the Federal government using my taxes isn't used, I am all for Californians living in California.

Please don't tell me that California is so important the Federal Government must bail it out. I shouldn't be paying for California's choices.
    Do you feel any sense of injustice that California receives 78 cents for every dollar its citizens send to Washington, while Utah receives $1.07 for every buck its citizens send?

My sense is that the article grossly overstates the exodus. All of the CEOs I know grumble a lot about California, but they have no intention of ever relocating, as the personal and professional advantages of being in Silicon Valley outweigh substantially the negatives of a messed up state government. I suspect Silicon Valley will continue to be the world's greatest incubator of tech companies for years to come.

Banned

California is a weird place. 12mm people in metro LA and they can't even get it together to have a football team.

God bless the Republic of Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    Do you feel any sense of injustice that California receives 78 cents for every dollar its citizens send to Washington, while Utah receives $1.07 for every buck its citizens send?
    Certainly something to think about. I would like to know how they calculate such a figure, before feeling a serious sense of injustice.

Beautiful weather and so much to do. What other state lets you ski, surf, hike, mountain climb, see movie stars, taste wine, shop, camp, eat, go to any number of professional and collegiate sporting events, hit all sorts of museums and hang out with my family? Nope. There isn't another state that has all of that.
    I have often wondered why the hell I ever moved away. I could have gone to college at the beach. WTF?
    "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

My sense is that the article grossly overstates the exodus. All of the CEOs I know grumble a lot about California, but they have no intention of ever relocating, as the personal and professional advantages of being in Silicon Valley outweigh substantially the negatives of a messed up state government. I suspect Silicon Valley will continue to be the world's greatest incubator of tech companies for years to come.
    That's the thing. They could pack up and move to Mississippi. It's a lot cheaper to do business here. But there goes your experienced workforce. Try and talk all your best employees into relocating there or even to Texas.

-Teenage Dirtbag

Certainly something to think about. I would like to know how they calculate such a figure, before feeling a serious sense of injustice.
    Forget the injustice thing; I was just messing with you, although it is ironic that the red states, who complain more about government taxes and spending, generally receive proportionately more than do the blue states. It's really more a function of population density and the amount of federal acreage, among other factors.

http://visualeconomics.creditloan.co...l-tax-dollars/

That's the thing. They could pack up and move to Mississippi. It's a lot cheaper to do business here. But there goes your experienced workforce. Try and talk all your best employees into relocating there or even to Texas.
    I know for tech companies a lot of the "exodus" are for things like data centers. Not a lot of employees, lots of space needed, etc. UT, AZ, CO are getting a lot of them. Which makes all the sense in the world.

Forget the injustice thing; I was just messing with you, although it is ironic that the red states, who complain more about government taxes and spending, generally receive proportionately more than do the blue states. It's really more a function of population density and the amount of federal acreage, among other factors.

I'll nd happy to move to a blue state in my later years when I need more of the services and pay less of the taxes.

It's called gaming the system.

You may have been messing with me, but I think it is a good question. The problem is I doubt anyone can come up with an acceptable answer as to how much each state recieves in benifits per tax dollar sent. I would like to see a calculation on how much I receive in benfits from each dollar I send. However like I said, how do you come up with those numbers.

For instance, how do you allocate defense spending to each state?

You may have been messing with me, but I think it is a good question. The problem is I doubt anyone can come up with an acceptable answer as to how much each state recieves in benifits per tax dollar sent. I would like to see a calculation on how much I receive in benfits from each dollar I send. However like I said, how do you come up with those numbers.

For instance, how do you allocate defense spending to each state?
    I don't know, and there are many other similar questions, of course. For example, do they include the huge subsidies that are provided to various industries, like oil and corn?

I don't know, and there are many other similar questions, of course. For example, do they include the huge subsidies that are provided to various industries, like oil and corn?
    I will admit I haven't read up on the oil subsidy issue. Do they really get subsidies or tax breaks. If they get tax breaks then it is figured into what is sent to the federal government in taxes.

Banned

This is all true. California is cool.

My average day consists of deciding whether to surf or run 5 miles on the most beautiful urban beach in the world surrounded by wonderful (and beautiful) people (women).

I like life

California's issues are largely structural. The constitutional requirements for tax increases and passing budgets are almost insurmountable, making compromise virtually impossible. The entire system promotes stalemate- not a good thing when action is desperately needed on multiple fronts. Add in the proposition structure and the state is almost not governable. It's a huge mess.

But, it's beyond beautiful, weather can't be beat, and Marsupial is exactly right- there is just no other place quite like it.

Allow me to interrupt the anecdotes for a second to review the article/survey in question. It is quite interesting. First of all, it is a survey given to 650 top executives and they were asked to grade the states in three categories:

tax & regulation climate
    workforce quality
    living environment

You can see a detailed breakdown about how each state was rated here:

http://chiefexecutive.net/how-ceos-g...he-states-2012

California got horrible ratings in the tax and regulation category and mediocre ratings in the other two categories. (BTW, Utah was #1 in workforce quality and #3 in living environment).

A few quotes from the article:

California’s enduring place of perpetual decline continues in this year’s ranking. Once the most attractive business environment, the Golden State appears to slip deeper into the ninth circle of business hell. The economy, which used to outperform the rest of the country, now substantially underperforms. And its status as the most ruinously contentious place to operate remains undisturbed in eight years. Its unemployment rate, at 10.9 percent, is higher than every other state except Nevada and Rhode Island. With 12 percent of America’s population, California has one-third of the nation’s welfare recipients. Each year, the evidence that businesses are leaving California or avoid locating there because of the high cost of doing business due to excessive state taxes and stringent regulations, grows. (See “Eastward Ho!”) According to Spectrum Locations Consultants, 254 California companies moved some or all of their work and jobs out of state in 2011, an increase of 26 percent over the previous year and five times as many as in 2009.
    (my emphasis)

This really surprised me about Louisiana:

Although often eclipsed by Texas, its next door neighbor, Louisiana, is the Cinderella of business improvement. In 2006, it ranked 47th—where Massachusetts is today. And Katrina didn’t help matters. But since then it has climbed steadily up the ranks so that it is now 13th—up from 27th last year—the biggest leap in a single year of any state.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

California has a lot of wealthy people and they pay a disproportionate amount of federal taxes. But it also has a ton of poverty. I'd be willing to bet a higher percentage of the population in state like Utah pays taxes, but they don't have the same population of wealthy people that pay much more like California has.

There are also a lot of places in California where you don't have to worry much about the problems associated with that poverty. So, if you've already got enough money not to worry, then chances are you're not going to care about the marginal cost between living in Carmel and retiring to some place like Chandler, AZ.

The problem is that the remainder of the state, where the middle class lives, is increasingly becoming a shithole. While I can't think of many better places to live than La UJolla, I can't think of many worse places to live than Riverside. In the process, the tax base is becoming more narrow because small businesses and the middle class are leaving the state.

And the proposition system there is ridiculous. Not surprisingly the electorate will vote for less taxes and more benrfits whenever you give them the chance to do so. The state government just raises taxes and fees in response wherever they can. It's a state that's impossible to govern.
    Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Banned

Allow me to interrupt the anecdotes for a second to review the article/survey in question. It is quite interesting. First of all, it is a survey given to 650 top executives and they were asked to grade the states in three categories:

tax & regulation climate
    workforce quality
    living environment

You can see a detailed breakdown about how each state was rated here:

http://chiefexecutive.net/how-ceos-g...he-states-2012

California got horrible ratings in the tax and regulation category and mediocre ratings in the other two categories. (BTW, Utah was #1 in workforce quality and #3 in living environment).

A few quotes from the article:

(my emphasis)

Sadly, Louisiana had to go through catastrophe to wake it up a bit. I'm glad they are doing better.

As an aside, I can't really put my finger on it but growing up in Texas, you're knew you weren't actually a southerner. It was something else: a Texan. However, crossing into Shreveport, you immediately knew you were now in the South.

Jindal for VP!

Y'all need to get rid of Nancy Pelosi and send someone to DC that will get you a bigger share of the federal pie. Texas only gets 94 cents on the dollar, I think.

Yes, California is king when it comes to tech but companies are having a problem getting the employees they need to relocate to CA. Right now the California company I contract for is offering $10,000 per head if I can refer someone and they get hired. (And you should the signing bonus they offered me to relocate and work full-time.) Even a million dollars doesn't buy much in the way of a house in the valley in a nice neighborhood with good schools. A million dollars will buy a home at least 3x these sizes with schools that are ranked in the top 50 in the country where I live and there isn't any transfer tax on the sale. While the 1.2% property tax rate is nice (it is a little over 2% around the Dallas area where I am moving to this summer) it doesn't take much of a house to have a huge bill in silicon valley. Then add the 9.3% in income taxes (assuming a couple making more than $94K a year). No thanks. I would rather live in Dallas and commute to California about once every six weeks for a week of work. Maybe more companies, including the one I contract for, will come to the conclusion to get the employees they need they might have to open more office space outside of California.
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Ted View Post
    Y'all need to get rid of Nancy Pelosi and send someone to DC that will get you a bigger share of the federal pie. Texas only gets 94 cents on the dollar, I think.

Yes, California is king when it comes to tech but companies are having a problem getting the employees they need to relocate to CA. Right now the California company I contract for is offering $10,000 per head if I can refer someone and they get hired. (And you should the signing bonus they offered me to relocate and work full-time.) Even a million dollars doesn't buy much in the way of a house in the valley in a nice neighborhood with good schools. A million dollars will buy a home at least 3x these sizes with schools that are ranked in the top 50 in the country where I live and there isn't any transfer tax on the sale. While the 1.2% property tax rate is nice (it is a little over 2% around the Dallas area where I am moving to this summer) it doesn't take much of a house to have a huge bill in silicon valley. Then add the 9.3% in income taxes (assuming a couple making more than $94K a year). No thanks. I would rather live in Dallas and commute to California about once every six weeks for a week of work. Maybe more companies, including the one I contract for, will come to the conclusion to get the employees they need they might have to open more office space outside of California.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Ted View Post

All true, but I'll simply note the obvious that housing costs are so high because, despite its many problems, California remains a great place to live, for execs and employees alike.

All true, but I'll simply note the obvious that housing costs are so high because, despite its many problems, California remains a great place to live, for execs and employees alike.
    Here is an interesting infographic for the sector I work in... Note while salaries are higher in the valley the cost of living is significantly higher. For example, home costs are 191% higher (with average home price of $775K) than the national average. The average salary is about $92K/yr in the valley. To have the same standard of living in Dallas I only need to earn about $43K/yr. I do have to agree that California is a desirable place to live... only if it didn't cost so damn much to live there (e.g. $4.25/gallon of gas compared to $3.50/gallon in Dallas and don't get me started on talking about taxes again), the public school classes sizes were not so large (30? are you kidding me? It is 17 at our ISD.), one could afford to send their kids to the public Universities of that state rather than sending them to Boise State or Oregon (not there is anything wrong with Oregon), etc.

"If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

If I got a job as an actuary with Pacific Life in Newport Beach, I would need to make about 225% of what I make now.
    Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats