What is wrong with California?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Paperback Writer View Post
    More accurately, a lot of reservoirs. The water supply has to come from somewhere. And during droughts the water levels can decline considerably. It's not like Texas can wait for the snow to melt in its mountains to fill them back up.
    Deep enough for recreational use?
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by Paperback Writer View Post
      More accurately, a lot of reservoirs. The water supply has to come from somewhere. And during droughts the water levels can decline considerably. It's not like Texas can wait for the snow to melt in its mountains to fill them back up.
      Just another way of saying Texas has nowhere to steal the water from, like L.A. did.
      “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
      ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
      -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
      --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
        It looks like Dallas/Ft. Worth has a bunch of lakes in the area, which thing I had never supposed.
        Yes, there are a lot of lakes around the DFW area for us boaters. Dallas actually gets about the same amount of rain as Seattle and Portland (about 37" per year).

Dallas seems to have a lot of airports for some reason too.
        "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
        "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
        "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
          Just another way of saying Texas has nowhere to steal the water from, like L.A. did.
          There was a lot of talk about diverting some of the red river into some of the north dallas areas. I don't know what happened with that.
          "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Yes, most of the are recreation lakes...

http://www.dallasrelo.com/lakes.html

I have even had our boat on some of these that are not designated as recreation lakes like Lavon.
            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
              Haven't lived there but have been there a few times. It doesn't seem like a bad place but you might have a good drive to work if you work downtown.[/url]
              A Dallas myth.

20 minutes downtown unless there is a wreck on the bridge. I worked in the Park Cities and that was usually 40 or so.
              "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

Comment

• Originally posted by FMCoug View Post
                A Dallas myth.

20 minutes downtown unless there is a wreck on the bridge. I worked in the Park Cities and that was usually 40 or so.
                Maybe Uncle Ted's and my sense of Dallas highway travel has been distorted by driving HW 75 into downtown Dallas. Perhaps Uncle Ted is able to take North Dallas Tollway, in which case, the time-travel distortion is lessened (but at a cost). Perhaps HW 30 operates differently in rush hour traffic than other major highways. But that address is about 25 miles from downtown Dallas and it would be a major accomplishment to travel that distance in any direction leading to downtown Dallas in 20 minutes during rush hour. That is not a "Dallas myth"; it's simple math (t = d/v velocity being the key variable).
                “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
                "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

Comment

• The commute to downtown from Frisco, Allen, etc. is much worse than from Rockwall. All the growth has been north ( at least as of 4 years ago) and such is the traffic.

Lake Ray Hubbard is Dallas' version of Point of the Mountain. In SLC, people think Draper is fine but Lehi is "way down there". Same thing with being East of the Lake.

I didn't map the address so maybe 20 minutes is an exaggerarion ... But the point is that people who endure horrific commutes from points north always think Rockwall is too far out ...
                  "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

Comment

Unlike Utah Lake, yes.

Ray Hubbard (where we kept our boat) was 40' by the dam.

Comment

• Yeah whatever, it's only $6.8B more than the $9.2B shortfall originally predicted. http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/cali...rry-brown.html

And as long as CA refuses to deal with its bloated public employee entitlements and continues to chase businesses out of state, this is just going to keep getting worse.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/cali...rry-brown.html
                      Ute-ī sunt fīmī differtī

It can't all be wedding cake.

Comment

• Originally posted by oxcoug View Post
                        Yeah whatever, it's only $6.8B more than the $9.2B shortfall originally predicted. http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/cali...rry-brown.html

And as long as CA refuses to deal with its bloated public employee entitlements and continues to chase businesses out of state, this is just going to keep getting worse.

Yep.
                        “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                        ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

Comment

• Originally posted by oxcoug View Post
                          Yeah whatever, it's only $6.8B more than the $9.2B shortfall originally predicted. http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/cali...rry-brown.html

I am working in California this week and was watching the local news this morning. It seems Jerry wants to cut a good part of this overrun out of education. Something like $5B out of K-12 and another $0.5B from Cal State and UCal.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...,1532582.story

In other news, a 1%'er isn't going to take this harassment any more and is moving to Signapore so he can avoid many hundreds of millions (as much as $600 million) in federal and California capital gains taxes. Yet another data point about trying to tax the rich and the rich just voting with their feet.
                          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

In other news, a 1%'er isn't going to take this harassment any more and is moving to Signapore so he can avoid many hundreds of millions (as much as $600 million) in federal and California capital gains taxes. Yet another data point about trying to tax the rich and the rich just voting with their feet.
                            It's what happens in Europe.
                            Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

• Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
                              It's what happens in Europe.
                              California 2012 is kind of a preview of what Obama and the American Left generally would like to see the USA become. The Golden State is not Sweden yet, but that's the goal! (Greece will be the eventual result, unless something changes.)
                              ― W.H. Auden

Comment

I am working in California this week and was watching the local news this morning. It seems Jerry wants to cut a good part of this overrun out of education. Something like $5B out of K-12 and another $0.5B from Cal State and UCal.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...,1532582.story

The wealthier have a much easier time moving than the poor. I suppose a lot of these people will just move their business ventures out of state and then just keep a second home in California.

This may be one of those fake quotes (most often happens with Lincoln and Twain) but here's this gem from de Tocqueville:

A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship.
                                What's happening here is the Democrats figure they can win if they simply pander to people that just want free shit. White, upscale libs are fine with it because the Democrats are also the party of social liberalism. But eventually the rubber will meet the road when the white upscale libs can no longer tolerate the government taking their stuff.
                                Last edited by Color Me Badd Fan; 05-15-2012, 10:19 AM.
                                Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

Working...
                                X