No announcement yet.

What is wrong with California?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd still give up a kidney just to move back.
    What's to explain? It's a bunch of people, most of whom you've never met, who are just as likely to be homicidal maniacs as they are to be normal everyday people, with whom you share the minutiae of your everyday life. It's totally normal, and everyone would understand.
    -Teenage Dirtbag

Comment

Originally posted by marsupial View Post
      I'd still give up a kidney just to move back.
      My thoughts exactly. Who cares if it's good for business? I'm not a corporation. I also like the idea of people leaving California. The worst thing about California is all the damn people. I'm in Utah only because my kids are here, but someday I'm going back...can't think of a better place to live.
      "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

Comment

I agree with those who think California is a great place to live. I just think that I shouldn't have to pay for the Californians great lifestyle. So as long as California taxes it's own citizens to take care of it's budget and debts and the Federal government using my taxes isn't used, I am all for Californians living in California.

Please don't tell me that California is so important the Federal Government must bail it out. I shouldn't be paying for California's choices.

Comment

Originally posted by Non Sequitur View Post
          My thoughts exactly. Who cares if it's good for business? I'm not a corporation. I also like the idea of people leaving California. The worst thing about California is all the damn people. I'm in Utah only because my kids are here, but someday I'm going back...can't think of a better place to live.
          +1000.

My wife has been put on notice that when the kids are grown we are going. Thankfully she agrees.

And I am not going to wuss out on it like RC Vikings.
          "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

Comment

Originally posted by FMCoug View Post
            +1000.

My wife has been put on notice that when the kids are grown we are going. Thankfully she agrees.

But come on... RC lives in the tropical paradise of Rexburg. It would be hard to leave that.

Sent from my SGH-T839 using Tapatalk 2
            "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Comment

Originally posted by FMCoug View Post
              +1000.

Beautiful weather and so much to do. What other state lets you ski, surf, hike, mountain climb, see movie stars, taste wine, shop, camp, eat, go to any number of professional and collegiate sporting events, hit all sorts of museums and hang out with my family? Nope. There isn't another state that has all of that.
              What's to explain? It's a bunch of people, most of whom you've never met, who are just as likely to be homicidal maniacs as they are to be normal everyday people, with whom you share the minutiae of your everyday life. It's totally normal, and everyone would understand.
              -Teenage Dirtbag

Comment

The response here is funny. As if we are all ignorant of what makes California such a great place (I always tell my wife we should retire and move to SD).

The point of Ted's linked article is that California is ranked dead last in the survey and that businesses are picking up and leaving the state. Anyone who loves California or recognizes the important role it plays in our economy ought to be alarmed by that.
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                  The response here is funny. As if we are all ignorant of what makes California such a great place (I always tell my wife we should retire and move to SD).

The point of Ted's linked article is that California is ranked dead last in the survey and that businesses are picking up and leaving the state. Anyone who loves California or recognizes the important role it plays in our economy ought to be alarmed by that.
                  Who is leaving? Agriculture and tourism seem like it'd be a constant. I have a hard time imagining Google and the like packing up and heading out. Though smaller tech and internet companies probably have a harder time staying or setting up shop with the high taxes and cost of business. Excessive taxes and a whole lot of debt. Where is the money going? Yes, something does need to change.

But I am still California Dreamin'.
                  -Teenage Dirtbag

Comment

Originally posted by byu71 View Post
                    I agree with those who think California is a great place to live. I just think that I shouldn't have to pay for the Californians great lifestyle. So as long as California taxes it's own citizens to take care of it's budget and debts and the Federal government using my taxes isn't used, I am all for Californians living in California.

Please don't tell me that California is so important the Federal Government must bail it out. I shouldn't be paying for California's choices.
                    Do you feel any sense of injustice that California receives 78 cents for every dollar its citizens send to Washington, while Utah receives $1.07 for every buck its citizens send?

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

My sense is that the article grossly overstates the exodus. All of the CEOs I know grumble a lot about California, but they have no intention of ever relocating, as the personal and professional advantages of being in Silicon Valley outweigh substantially the negatives of a messed up state government. I suspect Silicon Valley will continue to be the world's greatest incubator of tech companies for years to come.

Comment

California is a weird place. 12mm people in metro LA and they can't even get it together to have a football team.

God bless the Republic of Texas.

Comment

Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                        Do you feel any sense of injustice that California receives 78 cents for every dollar its citizens send to Washington, while Utah receives $1.07 for every buck its citizens send?
                        Certainly something to think about. I would like to know how they calculate such a figure, before feeling a serious sense of injustice.

Comment

Beautiful weather and so much to do. What other state lets you ski, surf, hike, mountain climb, see movie stars, taste wine, shop, camp, eat, go to any number of professional and collegiate sporting events, hit all sorts of museums and hang out with my family? Nope. There isn't another state that has all of that.
                          I have often wondered why the hell I ever moved away. I could have gone to college at the beach. WTF?
                          "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

Comment

Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post

My sense is that the article grossly overstates the exodus. All of the CEOs I know grumble a lot about California, but they have no intention of ever relocating, as the personal and professional advantages of being in Silicon Valley outweigh substantially the negatives of a messed up state government. I suspect Silicon Valley will continue to be the world's greatest incubator of tech companies for years to come.
                            That's the thing. They could pack up and move to Mississippi. It's a lot cheaper to do business here. But there goes your experienced workforce. Try and talk all your best employees into relocating there or even to Texas.
                            -Teenage Dirtbag

Comment

Originally posted by byu71 View Post
                              Certainly something to think about. I would like to know how they calculate such a figure, before feeling a serious sense of injustice.
                              Forget the injustice thing; I was just messing with you, although it is ironic that the red states, who complain more about government taxes and spending, generally receive proportionately more than do the blue states. It's really more a function of population density and the amount of federal acreage, among other factors.

http://visualeconomics.creditloan.co...l-tax-dollars/

Comment

That's the thing. They could pack up and move to Mississippi. It's a lot cheaper to do business here. But there goes your experienced workforce. Try and talk all your best employees into relocating there or even to Texas.
                                I know for tech companies a lot of the "exodus" are for things like data centers. Not a lot of employees, lots of space needed, etc. UT, AZ, CO are getting a lot of them. Which makes all the sense in the world.

Comment

Working...
                                X