What is wrong with California?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
    If I got a job as an actuary with Pacific Life in Newport Beach, I would need to make about 225% of what I make now.
    Yep, I was once recruited by PG&E and I told them I'd need a similar raise just to keep my standard of living. I doubt I'll ever live in California, mostly because there are places just as nice that don't cost a fortune.

We have several California transplants in my area, all of which are retired. They have 6-figure pensions and they figured the money would go farther in a state like Texas so they moved. It's kind of funny that the tax payer funded pensions these people are getting are going to fuel the Texas economy.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

The CST's are upon us (California Standards Test), and middle schoolers all over the state are having to step up and show the taxpayers what they did with our money. They hate it. In fact, they hate it so much that when asked, many will say that California is the 'stupidest' state of them all, and that they would gladly move to TX if it meant they would never have to take a test like the CST. If only they had the means to pick up and leave, I'd bet many of them would do it.

As I think about the potential middle-schooler diaspora, and how sad it would be to lose all of these kids, I find myself asking, "What can I do to make the CST easier on these sweet children? Should we lower our standards to those of Texas?" Then it dawns upon me... why the eff am I asking middle-schoolers whether they like or hate the CST?

We have our state standards. If businesses don't like them, they can pack up their lower standards and take them to Houston.

Comment

Originally posted by RobinFinderson View Post
        The CST's are upon us (California Standards Test), and middle schoolers all over the state are having to step up and show the taxpayers what they did with our money. They hate it. In fact, they hate it so much that when asked, many will say that California is the 'stupidest' state of them all, and that they would gladly move to TX if it meant they would never have to take a test like the CST. If only they had the means to pick up and leave, I'd bet many of them would do it.

As I think about the potential middle-schooler diaspora, and how sad it would be to lose all of these kids, I find myself asking, "What can I do to make the CST easier on these sweet children? Should we lower our standards to those of Texas?" Then it dawns upon me... why the eff am I asking middle-schoolers whether they like or hate the CST?

We have our state standards. If businesses don't like them, they can pack up their lower standards and take them to Houston.
        Well, personally I only want your retirees to move here so we get the benefit of their spending government pensions and they won't take away any jobs.
        "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

What a progressive outlook.
          "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
          - Goatnapper'96

Comment

If the higher costs and standards resulted in California companies being more productive, competitive, efficient, etc. you might actually might have a point there.
            Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

If the higher costs and standards resulted in California companies being more productive, competitive, efficient, etc. you might actually might have a point there.
              If we lose Google, Apple, or the entertainment industry to Texas, I might start paying more consideration to your line of thinking.

Comment

If I got a job as an actuary with Pacific Life in Newport Beach, I would need to make about 225% of what I make now.
                Do it. I used to work right there in fashion island and lived just up the road in Newport coast!
                Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Well, Californians have recently been voting with their feet and moving to Texas what is it that makes you think that they won't take their businesses with them?

In a recent report, the US Census Bureau reveals that Californians are leaving California at a faster rate than residents leaving any other state.

[...]

The move from California to Texas was the number one largest national state-to-state move, with a significant lead above the number two largest move (New York to Florida - 55,011 movers). Four years earlier, one of the largest national moves was, as it is today, California to Arizona (85,497).

[...]

As CBS reports, California's lack of jobs, high housing prices and high business taxes are also likely reasons why the state's population more closely resembles 1900 than the 1950's boom when Americans flocked to the state.

[...]

As CBS reports, California's lack of jobs, high housing prices and high business taxes are also likely reasons why the state's population more closely resembles 1900 than the 1950's boom when Americans flocked to the state.
                  http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/1...n_1117049.html

Y'all need to fix your problems or turn the lights off on your way out.
                  "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                  "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                  "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                  GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                    Well, Californians have recently been voting with their feet and moving to Texas what is it that makes you think that they won't take their businesses with them?

As noted by others, I'm really ok with draining CA's population. It would be interesting to see the socioeconomic makeup of the fleeing population. Again, if we lose Apple, Google and/or the entertainment industry, I might start to reconsider our standards.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post

Having experienced the difference between Texas and California from a business perspective first-hand, I think Robin's statement is going to be prophetic over the next ten years. Look at what happened to NYC in the 80s.

Houston already is the energy capital of the nation. They are pretty good at biomed and a number of other things too. There is a significant tech presence in Texas generally. I haven't even mentioned Dallas - I may hate it as long as we're talking about in-state rivalries, but it has formidable industry.

California has better climate and nature. You won't catch me arguing anything to the contrary. But climate and nature aren't worth what they aren't paying when you can just buy a plane ticket. And while we have hurricanes to match earthquakes, you can at least see a hurricane coming.

So says a guy who picked Texas - sight unseen, almost - over NYC, CA and UT.
                      Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

As noted by others, I'm really ok with draining CA's population. It would be interesting to see the socioeconomic makeup of the fleeing population.

You can see it right now. How much debt does the state have? Is there a very big difference between the rich and the poor in California?

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                          Do it. I used to work right there in fashion island and lived just up the road in Newport coast!
                          I've spent a week at the Marriott Newport villas by Crystal Cove. I really like the area and I'm sure I could land a job at Pacific Life... but the cost is beyond prohibitive.
                          Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

I love CA I would move back in an instant.
                            Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

We left LAX on my first visit to California since I was a kid, and I looked at the sky and said, "It's going to rain hard." The cabbie started laughing, and asked, increduously, "Rain, here?"

It was smog.

No, gracias. My sister lived in Big Sur for three years. I could live there if I were worth $100 million.
                              "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
                                We left LAX on my first visit to California since I was a kid, and I looked at the sky and said, "It's going to rain hard." The cabbie started laughing, and asked, increduously, "Rain, here?"

It was smog.

No, gracias. My sister lived in Big Sur for three years. I could live there if I were worth $100 million.
                                The one thing that has been a success in CA has been air quality. It's amazingly different since the time you were here as a kid.

This state has one of the top 10 largest economies in the world and isn't going anywhere soon. (Sorry, Texans.) Government at all levels is horribly mismanaged and I don't think I want to live here in retirement, but the Golden State is a great place to live in so many ways. That's why so many jealous folks from other states root for its demise.
                                “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                                ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
                                -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
                                --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

Working...
                                X