What is wrong with California?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
    My vote this fall for Congress is between two Republicans. One labels himself a patriot and has a picture of a Minuteman on his signs. I'll be voting for the other guy.
    Probably a good choice.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
      A prop 65 warning. Isn't pure democracy a wonderful thing? And the really neat thing is that there are more than a few plaintiff's lawyers who have made a nice living from litigating against establishments that fail to post adequate warnings.
      Prop 65 is the worst. Pure democracy + activist judge = rich lawyers, weaker economy, and no public benefit.

Comment

• A tale of California in three acts:

California moves to ban effective rat poison:
        https://www.sfchronicle.com/politics...l-14083165.php

LA is becoming the "City of Rats":
        https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2019...lth-emergency/

Are medieval diseases coming next to your city?
        https://www.forbes.com/sites/chuckde.../#440a1ba3610d
        Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

• That's hilarious and frightening.
          Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• In the matter of reforming things, as distinct from deforming them, there is one plain and simple principle; a principle which will probably be called a paradox. There exists in such a case a certain institution or law; let us say, for the sake of simplicity, a fence or gate erected across a road. The more modern type of reformer goes gaily up to it and says, “I don’t see the use of this; let us clear it away.” To which the more intelligent type of reformer will do well to answer: “If you don’t see the use of it, I certainly won’t let you clear it away. Go away and think. Then, when you can come back and tell me that you do see the use of it, I may allow you to destroy it.
            G. K. Chesteron

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
              That's hilarious and frightening.
              The breakout of "medieval" diseases (I'd say 19th century civil war POW camps is more accurate) isn't some unrealistic thing, it's happening right now. I guess a few years back they had an outbreak of tuberculosis. For the number of children that ingest rat poison and die, there are probably 50 kids that drown in a swimming pool. And the tradeoff between preventing the California mountain lion population ingesting some of the poison and inhibiting methods that stop the spread of Typhus and Typhoid seems to be a really stupid bargain.

The reality is this -- the population this really affects are the homeless and those others in extreme poverty. I'm not sure if this would ever really spread to more affluent parts of LA (never say never, I suppose). Advocating for the use of effective rat poison is also a way of standing up for the homeless, and a fairly substantial one at that. But in 2019, it's not exactly one of the trendier issues. I believe there was a UN paper/report that compared conditions in Skid Row to the Syrian refugee camps.
              Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
                That's hilarious and frightening.
                I realize that this can be seen as funny to some, but the reality of this is not hilarious at all. In nearly 25 years living in So. Cal, I've never seen the homeless situation worse. Skid row has spilled over into otherwise nice areas. In Orange County, where I live, there was a literal city of homeless living next to Angel Stadium, very similar to the favelas in Brazil. Many of the homeless living in these tent cities have jobs, but simply cannot afford living in even the cheapest housing. My city is Fullerton. In the past 10 years the homeless population has boomed. I live in a fairly nice neighborhood, and see homeless individuals frequently wondering in and around our cul-du-sac. With the disease and crime that goes along with that, frightening doesn't begin to describe what's happening in what was once an awesome place to live. I love California and always will, but man it's getting bad!

Comment

• Originally posted by originalsocal View Post
                  I realize that this can be seen as funny to some, but the reality of this is not hilarious at all. In nearly 25 years living in So. Cal, I've never seen the homeless situation worse. Skid row has spilled over into otherwise nice areas. In Orange County, where I live, there was a literal city of homeless living next to Angel Stadium, very similar to the favelas in Brazil. Many of the homeless living in these tent cities have jobs, but simply cannot afford living in even the cheapest housing. My city is Fullerton. In the past 10 years the homeless population has boomed. I live in a fairly nice neighborhood, and see homeless individuals frequently wondering in and around our cul-du-sac. With the disease and crime that goes along with that, frightening doesn't begin to describe what's happening in what was once an awesome place to live. I love California and always will, but man it's getting bad!
                  Yes, this is the frightening part (actually, just one of them).

The hilarious part is the state's decision to prioritize rodent and animal life above human life, and then watch as that decision blows up in their face.
                  Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by originalsocal View Post
                    I don't think it's insanely expensive housing, otherwise Monaco would be loaded with homeless people. People are free to move to find less expensive places to live -- but that's fairly difficult to pull off when you're a drug addict and haven't held a job in years/decades. So you go to places where drugs are easier to find and the cops don't harass people as much as other places. I'm sure the city leadership in Seattle were patting themselves on the back for the "humane" and enlightened treatment towards drug users by basically telling the cops to ignore possession of quantities that would signify merely a personal supply and not a distributor. Those policies have consequences and I imagine it's fairly difficult to deal with sprawling encampments of homeless people rather than the sporadic pan-handling bum in downtown.

Comment

• Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
                      I don't think it's insanely expensive housing, otherwise Monaco would be loaded with homeless people. People are free to move to find less expensive places to live -- but that's fairly difficult to pull off when you're a drug addict and haven't held a job in years/decades. So you go to places where drugs are easier to find and the cops don't harass people as much as other places. I'm sure the city leadership in Seattle were patting themselves on the back for the "humane" and enlightened treatment towards drug users by basically telling the cops to ignore possession of quantities that would signify merely a personal supply and not a distributor. Those policies have consequences and I imagine it's fairly difficult to deal with sprawling encampments of homeless people rather than the sporadic pan-handling bum in downtown.
                      Tons of homeless people in Seattle these days.
                      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                        Tons of homeless people in Seattle these days.
                        You don't like stepping over human excrement on the sidewalks or in the city parks?!

I rarely go downtown anymore. It's bad.

You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
                        Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
                        You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

• Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
                          You don't like stepping over human excrement on the sidewalks or in the city parks?!

I rarely go downtown anymore. It's bad.

OMG... Seattle is a sh*thole!

They need to tax the hell out of those companies like Amazon, Microsoft, FaceBook, etc. so they can hand out more needles... Make those rich capitalist basturds pay!
                          "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                          "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                          "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• What's fascinating about the Seattle is Dying documentary is the responses to it. Some folks labeled it "right wing propaganda" because the KOMO station is owned by Sinclair. Others responded exactly like Ted's caricature - "tax the rich". Others began immediately attacking the connection the documentary stated between homelessness and both drugs and mental illness.

Comment

• A lot.
                              "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

• Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
                                What's fascinating about the Seattle is Dying documentary is the responses to it. Some folks labeled it "right wing propaganda" because the KOMO station is owned by Sinclair. Others responded exactly like Ted's caricature - "tax the rich". Others began immediately attacking the connection the documentary stated between homelessness and both drugs and mental illness.
                                Ted's wasn't exactly a "tax the rich" caricature. It was more of a "burden Apple's competitors" caricature.

Comment

Working...
                                X