Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
    Yeah, I agree.

Someone told me once (or maybe I read it) that the guy that does that commentary scene is/was actually a resident of Carthage. Apparently there are lots of locals in that movie.
    Yeah, my understanding is that all the interview segments of the movie were with actual residents - kind of a partial documentary.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post
      When we lived in Bakersfield for a couple of years, people (especially from Utah) would ask "Oh, the place with the big thermometer?".
      Did you ever eat at the Greek place? It is supposed to be good.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
        Did you ever eat at the Greek place? It is supposed to be good.
        The Mad Greek. My first choice of a place to eat when passing through there.

Comment

• Originally posted by Topper View Post
          Chico State May be one of the worst universities around. Some pretty venues but a dump of a town.
          Chico is a dump? Chico? When were you last there? Any chance you're confusing it with some other city? Those old Playboy rankings are still the only reason most Americans have even heard of Chico State. I have no idea where it ranks academically, but I've lived in far Nor Cal long enough now to realize it serves its community well.

Comment

• Originally posted by SteelBlue View Post
            Chico is a dump? Chico? When were you last there? Any chance you're confusing it with some other city? Those old Playboy rankings are still the only reason most Americans have even heard of Chico State. I have no idea where it ranks academically, but I've lived in far Nor Cal long enough now to realize it serves its community well.
            I believe I had heard of Chico State prior to this discussion. I was unaware of its academic reputation and/or party school heritage. I am definitely representative of all Americans, so feel free to extrapolate that to the rest of the country.
            "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
            - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by Flystripper View Post
              While Chico State won't be mistaken for Stanford, or any of the UC schools for that matter, it has come a long way since the #1 party school title (most of the cal state schools have). It is so incredibly competitive to get into any of the U.C. schools these days, that the Cal State system (including Chico) is full of kids that graduated in the top 10-15% of their class due to an overflow effect. As a result the quality of the education has greatly increased due to the quality of the students getting significantly better. My Son who has a 4.2 GPA has a 1390 on the SAT, and is a multi sport letter in both track (four years) and football (three years) can't sniff entrance into a U.C school based on academics. He is hoping track gets him a shot at some of the second tier UC schools but he probably isn't quite fast enough for most of them. So he will likely be left with some cal state school...hopefully SLO we will see but Chico isn't out of the question.
              It is unbelievable how competitive the UC, and to a slightly lesser extent, the CSU systems are right now. A buddy's son has a 4.6 adjusted GPA, 1560 SAT, senior class president, multiple varsity sports, and he still didn't get into UCLA and SLO. Even SDSU required basically a 4.0 and 33 ACT this year.

Comment

• Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
                I'm pretty sure that is a was instead of is. It's probably a school in an awesome town like UTEP that holds that title now.
                The city of Chico has really clamped down on the party environment the last decade or so. Mostly shut down the famous Halloween party that consumed almost all of downtown, outlawed drinking on their annual back-to-school float down the river. They had a few over-drinking deaths at frat parties not too long ago, so they have put quite a bit of pressure on hazings as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                  I believe I had heard of Chico State prior to this discussion. I was unaware of its academic reputation and/or party school heritage. I am definitely representative of all Americans, so feel free to extrapolate that to the rest of the country.
                  My apologies. My comment comes from many years of experience. That party school ranking is to Chico State what polygamy is to Mormonism. It's the one thing that just about everybody "knows" about the school.

Last edited by SteelBlue; 04-25-2018, 09:47 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by bluegoose View Post
                    It is unbelievable how competitive the UC, and to a slightly lesser extent, the CSU systems are right now. A buddy's son has a 4.6 adjusted GPA, 1560 SAT, senior class president, multiple varsity sports, and he still didn't get into UCLA and SLO. Even SDSU required basically a 4.0 and 33 ACT this year.
                    It is really frustrating. I am to the point of being completely OK with him going to the local JC for a semester or two and then transferring. Will save a ton of money and will alleviate a mountain of stress.
                    Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

• Originally posted by bluegoose View Post
                      SDSU is a great school academically, no doubt about it. But those numbers seem too high. According to this site, ACT = 26 or above gives you 50% odds. Average GPA of admitted freshmen = 3.6.

Prospective students submitting an ACT composite of 26 or higher should be in the upper half of applicants - and students with a 28 and above have very competitive chances.
                      http://www.collegesimply.com/college...ity/admission/
                      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                        SDSU is a great school academically, no doubt about it. But those numbers seem too high. According to this site, ACT = 26 or above gives you 50% odds. Average GPA of admitted freshmen = 3.6.

http://www.collegesimply.com/college...ity/admission/
                        That's what I thought as well. My estimate is anecdotal based on who I know that got in and who didn't. With those numbers on that site my son should have been easy. Not so. In fact when we were waiting to hear back from them a few months ago I plugged his numbers into a few calculators and it gave him about a 34% chance of acceptance. Similar chance at UC Santa Cruz, which seems to be one of the easier UCs to get into.

Comment

• I got this email today and thought I would pass it on to my California friends before the Iron Curtain is closed...

CalGG.jpg

Here is the link: https://ghostgunner.net/pages/california
                          "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                          "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                          "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

• Originally posted by Flystripper View Post
                              Yeah, it is a crazy law... let's all hope they get on that last helicopter out.
                              "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                              "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                              "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                                Yeah, it is a crazy law... let's all hope they get on that last helicopter out.
                                Cocoa_Puffs.jpg
                                Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

Working...
                                X