What is wrong with California?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LOL... Even Nate Silver thinks it is a bad idea:

Didn't the former governor of california have enough common sense to veto this before?
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
      LOL... Even Nate Silver thinks it is a bad idea:

Didn't the former governor of california have enough common sense to veto this before?
      I can't imagine the courts being okay with this. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if their were unanimous opinions against it. What's to prevent a state from keeping someone off the ballot unless they pass a piece of legislation that the state demands?

What if California listens to Antifa and decides the Republican party is "literally" the same thing as the Nazi party and it passes a law keeping Republican candidates off ballots altogether? I'd like to know the boundaries of what California thinks it can and can't do with regard to elections.
      Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
        I can't imagine the courts being okay with this. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if their were unanimous opinions against it. What's to prevent a state from keeping someone off the ballot unless they pass a piece of legislation that the state demands?

What if California listens to Antifa and decides the Republican party is "literally" the same thing as the Nazi party and it passes a law keeping Republican candidates off ballots altogether? I'd like to know the boundaries of what California thinks it can and can't do with regard to elections.
        Yes, the last governor was smart enough to see it was a slippery slope and so he vetoed it... I guess this new governor is not as smart.

Jerry Brown vetoes bill to pry loose Trump's tax returns

Rebuking fellow Democrats’ latest volley at President Donald Trump, California Gov. Jerry Brown late Sunday vetoed legislation that would have forced presidential candidates to make their tax returns public before appearing on the state ballot.

The veto, in which Brown cautioned against setting a “’slippery slope' precedent,” marked a setback for Democrats and open-government advocates trying to uncover Trump’s tax returns at the state level.

“While I recognize the political attractiveness – even the merits – of getting President Trump’s tax returns, I worry about the political perils of individual states seeking to regulate presidential elections in this manner,” Brown wrote in a veto message. “First, it may not be constitutional. Second, it sets a ‘slippery slope’ precedent. Today we require tax returns, but what would be next? Five years of health records? A certified birth certificate? High school report cards? And will these requirements vary depending on which political party is in power?”
        [...]
        https://www.politico.com/story/2017/...ns-bill-243799
        "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• LOL... soak the rich and the rich move.

California’s Tax-the-Rich Boomerang
          A new study shows the 2012 tax hike drove high earners from the state.

Democrats in California have raised taxes on the rich again and again, and liberals claim it has no effect on taxpayer migration and does no harm to state tax revenue. A new study finds the opposite.

Stanford economists Joshua Rauh and Ryan Shyu analyzed how high earners responded to a 2012 referendum (Prop. 30) backed by Democrats that raised the top marginal rate on taxpayers with more than $1 million of income to 13.3% from 10.3%. The top rates on individuals earning more than $250,000 also rose between one and two percentage points.

First, the researchers examined whether higher taxes caused top earners to leave the state by measuring migration before and after Prop. 30 took effect. They noted a large uptick in the departure rate of taxpayers with more than $5 million in income following the tax hike—from 1.5% to 2.125%—and a commensurate outflow for taxpayers earning between $2 million and $5 million.
          [...]
          In sum, the study estimates that outward migration and taxpayer behavioral responses erased 45.2% of the expected revenue gains from the tax hike on top earners. This is especially relevant since liberal economists argue that the rich don’t care about marginal tax rates and raising the top income rate to 70% won’t affect revenue or incentives to work.

The study suggests Sacramento should think again. And watch out for the next recession when investment income and capital gains fall for the affluent. Democrats will have to soak the middle class even more than they already do to finance all of the new spending demands they are creating in the good times (e.g., free health care for undocumented immigrants).

That’s one reason they’re pushing a referendum next year to remove the state’s constitutional tax cap on commercial property. The liberal forecast in California always calls for higher taxes.
          https://www.wsj.com/articles/califor...ng-11571697967
          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

LOL... soak the rich and the rich move.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/califor...ng-11571697967
            The same thing is happening in Illinois and New York.

Comment

• Originally posted by imanihonjin View Post
              The same thing is happening in Illinois and New York.
              Yeah, they all need to knock it off. They are driving up real estate evaluations and my property taxes.
              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

LOL... Elon Musk is fed up with California's Kung Fu virus lockdown and other BS:

Apparently democrat leaders in California don't care if Tesla pulls out of the state...

Big Dan says NV would love those jobs...

No love for the people that work for Tesla in California. Sad.
                GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Come on everyone! California needs our help... pay more taxes!

Why California Is In Trouble – 340,000 Public Employees With $100,000+ Paychecks Cost Taxpayers $45 Billion

Despite California’s $54 billion budget deficit and $1 trillion unfunded pension liability, there are 340,390 government employees bringing home six-figure salary and pension checks.

Recently, though, Gov. Gavin Newsom asked U.S. taxpayers for a bailout.
                  [...]
                  https://www.forbes.com/sites/adamand.../#75e6fbbc5fb8

They are not going to be able to pay those six-figure salaries and pensions! Sad.
                  GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

They are not going to be able to pay those six-figure salaries and pensions! Sad.
                    In most of California, $100,000 is barely enough to live on.

Comment

• Cali pension system is a joke. Why would anyone work beyond age 50?
                      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                        Cali pension system is a joke. Why would anyone work beyond age 50?
                        Because I don't become eligible till 55 and don't max my percentage till 62.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott R Nelson View Post
                          In most of California, $100,000 is barely enough to live on.
                          And that is why Cali folks move when they retire move to Idaho... to live like kings!
                          Last edited by Uncle Ted; 05-21-2020, 01:08 PM.
                          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
                            Because I don't become eligible till 55 and don't max my percentage till 62.
                            My buddy retired at 52. With 100% of his working salary. He worked for a decent-sized city in NoCal.
                            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

My buddy retired at 52. With 100% of his working salary. He worked for a decent-sized city in NoCal.
                              Did he move to Idaho after he retired?
                              “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
                              "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

Comment

lucky guy. Many of those were poor deals by local agencies. They have something like 3% at age 50. Cops get 2.5% at 50. I am a sucker and only get 2% at 55, but get 2.5% at 62. All the new hires for the state within the last 10 years are 2% at 62.

Comment

Working...
                                X