Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 695

Thread: What is wrong with California?

  1. #1

    Default What is wrong with California?

    California, 10th-largest economy in the world, land of milk and honey and the Lakers, is up to its eyeballs in debt and apparently headed for a financial implosion.

    Now, my initial response to this is that California is a perfect example of what happens when you allow bleeding-heart liberals to run everything. If you try to save everyone through government program after government program and spending bill after spending bill, if you are incapable of making budget cuts when you need to, eventually reality catches up with you.

    To my uneducated and biased eyes, California is a perfect example of what we need to avoid as a nation. Do not follow California down this road, I say.

    But as I haven't really seen anyone here making this point, I assume my view is off somehow. Can someone step in and show me where I'm wrong so I can move on?

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    sweet triple TripletDaddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    58,326

    Default

    You may want to consider moving on, regardless.

    Let us all think about your question. Come back in a year or so and let's discuss the results.
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.


  3. #3
    Ragnar Lodbrok Descendant SoCalCoug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Orange County, California
    Posts
    5,103

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
    California, 10th-largest economy in the world, land of milk and honey and the Lakers, is up to its eyeballs in debt and apparently headed for a financial implosion.

    Now, my initial response to this is that California is a perfect example of what happens when you allow bleeding-heart liberals to run everything. If you try to save everyone through government program after government program and spending bill after spending bill, if you are incapable of making budget cuts when you need to, eventually reality catches up with you.

    To my uneducated and biased eyes, California is a perfect example of what we need to avoid as a nation. Do not follow California down this road, I say.

    But as I haven't really seen anyone here making this point, I assume my view is off somehow. Can someone step in and show me where I'm wrong so I can move on?

    Thanks.
    California doesn't like you, either.
    If we disagree on something, it's because you're wrong.

    "Somebody needs to kill my trial attorney." — Last words of George Harris, executed in Missouri on Sept. 13, 2000.

    "Nothing is too good to be true, nothing is too good to last, nothing is too wonderful to happen." - Florence Scoville Shinn

  4. #4
    Heartless Bastard Indy Coug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Living Large inside the 5th Circle
    Posts
    18,799

    Default

    The mass exodus is already underway. Soon all that will be left in California are gay Latinos. And their lawyers.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Goatnapper'96's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    God's Country!
    Posts
    9,681

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
    California, 10th-largest economy in the world, land of milk and honey and the Lakers, is up to its eyeballs in debt and apparently headed for a financial implosion.

    Now, my initial response to this is that California is a perfect example of what happens when you allow bleeding-heart liberals to run everything. If you try to save everyone through government program after government program and spending bill after spending bill, if you are incapable of making budget cuts when you need to, eventually reality catches up with you.

    To my uneducated and biased eyes, California is a perfect example of what we need to avoid as a nation. Do not follow California down this road, I say.

    But as I haven't really seen anyone here making this point, I assume my view is off somehow. Can someone step in and show me where I'm wrong so I can move on?

    Thanks.
    I think there is some truth to what you say with respect to social programs and not being real business friendly. I haven't spent the time studying California's dollars spent on social programs per citizen compared to other states, but I know the business environment has resulted in business leaving for less attractive geographic locations but more attractive tax laws.

    Another issue, and perhaps even moreso to blame for the ineptness of California's legislature, is the brutal gerrymandering that has taken place. Look, I think that Barry Goldwater is a faggity liberal but even I can see that California is riding a bus to Fresno if it doesn't raise more revenue in a hurry. However, too many staunch Republicans in the Assembly will not vote for a tax increase because their districts are as overwhelmingly conservative as many of the liberal districts are liberal. It is becoming a state without any moderates by design. I remember when I was kid and dwelling in the closest thing to Zion mankind has established, yea even the beautiful and Lancer dominating town of Simi Valley, our district once included Simi Valley and then Edwards AFB and the area where Tim grew up. Inbetween was interstate and freeways that connected the two areas. The result of this gerrymandering is consistent gridlock and little desire to work together. I don't think the present times are a time for gridlock.
    Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
    -General George S. Patton

    I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
    -DOCTOR Wuap

  6. #6
    Senior Member Goatnapper'96's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    God's Country!
    Posts
    9,681

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
    The mass exodus is already underway. Soon all that will be left in California are gay Latinos. And their lawyers.
    It is not often you say something that makes me laugh. But for once you shedded the pocketprotector kevlar like armor you love so much.
    Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
    -General George S. Patton

    I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
    -DOCTOR Wuap

  7. #7
    Senior Member Goatnapper'96's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    God's Country!
    Posts
    9,681

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
    Come back in a year or so and let's discuss the results.
    You California mormons that are banking that your past demonstration that the will of the people is congruent to the will of a homosexual hating God are likely to be real disapointed. Any state that not only sends a beauty queen with fake knockers, but financed the fake knockers, will not get the financial blessings of the Promised Land.

    Sucks to be you! See you in February when it is -25 degrees outside with a wind chill factor of "OH SHIT!"
    Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
    -General George S. Patton

    I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
    -DOCTOR Wuap

  8. #8

    Default

    Thanks for at least touching on a serious answer, GN.

    I'm not trolling here, guys. I really don't understand why California is doing so badly right now other than they're spending tax revenue faster than they get it, and a lot of the spending is for social programs.

  9. #9
    Never once baby snatched landpoke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The navel of Heaven.
    Posts
    4,175

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
    Thanks for at least touching on a serious answer, GN.

    I'm not trolling here, guys. I really don't understand why California is doing so badly right now other than they're spending tax revenue faster than they get it, and a lot of the spending is for social programs.
    I blame those dumb celebrity "Come to California" commercials. And the fact that they elected a shrunken balled, pig valved Nazi as governor.
    There's no such thing as luck, only drunken invincibility. Make it happen.

    Tila Tequila and Juggalos, America’s saddest punchline since the South.

    Yesterday was Thursday, Thursday
    Today is Friday, Friday (Partyin’)

    Tomorrow is Saturday
    And Sunday comes afterwards

  10. #10
    sweet triple TripletDaddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    58,326

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
    Thanks for at least touching on a serious answer, GN.

    I'm not trolling here, guys. I really don't understand why California is doing so badly right now other than they're spending tax revenue faster than they get it, and a lot of the spending is for social programs.
    You are a college graduate. You should be able to come up with something more substantive than "I think X is in debt because X spends more than it receives." Is that really the depth of your honest analysis on the matter?

    If you want a serious answer, you may want to start with a better premise than a thinly veiled "Social Programs" boogeyman.
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.


  11. #11
    Heartless Bastard Indy Coug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Living Large inside the 5th Circle
    Posts
    18,799

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by landpoke View Post
    I blame those dumb celebrity "Come to California" commercials. And the fact that they elected a shrunken balled, pig valved Nazi as governor.
    Who married Skeletor.

  12. #12
    sweet triple TripletDaddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    58,326

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by landpoke View Post
    I blame those dumb celebrity "Come to California" commercials. And the fact that they elected a shrunken balled, pig valved Nazi as governor.
    We also elected The Great Communicator. As usual, California was setting the trends for the nation. Def Leppard.
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.


  13. #13
    Never once baby snatched landpoke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The navel of Heaven.
    Posts
    4,175

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
    We also elected The Great Communicator. As usual, California was setting the trends for the nation. Def Leppard.
    In the end I have to be honest and admit that I have no substantive beef with Cali. After all, y'all make most of the porn that is my raison d'etre.

    Def Leppard, Def Leppard indeed.
    There's no such thing as luck, only drunken invincibility. Make it happen.

    Tila Tequila and Juggalos, America’s saddest punchline since the South.

    Yesterday was Thursday, Thursday
    Today is Friday, Friday (Partyin’)

    Tomorrow is Saturday
    And Sunday comes afterwards

  14. #14
    Never once baby snatched landpoke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The navel of Heaven.
    Posts
    4,175

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
    Who married Skeletor.
    She's looking more Predator these days, IMO



    Maybe that's the attraction?
    There's no such thing as luck, only drunken invincibility. Make it happen.

    Tila Tequila and Juggalos, America’s saddest punchline since the South.

    Yesterday was Thursday, Thursday
    Today is Friday, Friday (Partyin’)

    Tomorrow is Saturday
    And Sunday comes afterwards

  15. #15
    Senior Member il Padrino Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Murray, Utah
    Posts
    19,204

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
    We also elected The Great Communicator. As usual, California was setting the trends for the nation. Def Leppard.
    Here's what my cousin's boy thinks of California:

    "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


    "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

  16. #16
    Heartless Bastard Indy Coug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Living Large inside the 5th Circle
    Posts
    18,799

    Default

    That's a 1/4 inch more than I needed to see, thanks.

  17. #17

    Default

    Come on, I already said I am open to having my current opinion dashed in the face of new and compelling evidence.

    Man, I routinely get shouted down for being wrong here, often accompanied by pages of information and charts about how and why I'm wrong, and the one time I'm okay with it, no one will help me out.

  18. #18
    Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Pleasanton, CA
    Posts
    11,700

    Default

    I have a modest proposal, based on the following facts: going back at least five years, each year the federal government has spent/sent $1.10 to each of Utah, Wyoming and Idaho for every buck the citizens of those fine states have sent to D.C. California, on the other hand, has received approx. $0.78 (I'm doing this from memory, so factcheckers may debunk this) for every dollar that Californians ship to the IRS. If we can simply reverse those numbers for one year (come on, we're running deficits anyway), California's deficit will be eliminated and we'll have a surplus that will cover us for a few years.

    What's wrong with California? We're chumps, subsidizing federal services for a bunch of other states who wonder what's wrong with California.

  19. #19
    Never once baby snatched landpoke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The navel of Heaven.
    Posts
    4,175

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    What's wrong with California? We're chumps, subsidizing federal services for a bunch of other states who wonder what's wrong with California.
    You're not chumps, you're just a bit slow. Send your boys out this way and we'll teach you city slickers a thing or two about fleecing them fellars out in Warsh-ington.
    There's no such thing as luck, only drunken invincibility. Make it happen.

    Tila Tequila and Juggalos, America’s saddest punchline since the South.

    Yesterday was Thursday, Thursday
    Today is Friday, Friday (Partyin’)

    Tomorrow is Saturday
    And Sunday comes afterwards

  20. #20
    Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Pleasanton, CA
    Posts
    11,700

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by landpoke View Post
    You're not chumps, you're just a bit slow. Send your boys out this way and we'll teach you city slickers a thing or two about fleecing them fellars out in Warsh-ington.
    Oddly, my image of you with your feet up on the desk, puffing away on a Cohiba whilst downing a little single malt, all financed, directly or indirectly, through my boneheaded contributions to the Department of Energy, among other things, somehow makes me feel a little better about my chumpitude. Enjoy.

  21. #21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    I have a modest proposal, based on the following facts: going back at least five years, each year the federal government has spent/sent $1.10 to each of Utah, Wyoming and Idaho for every buck the citizens of those fine states have sent to D.C. California, on the other hand, has received approx. $0.78 (I'm doing this from memory, so factcheckers may debunk this) for every dollar that Californians ship to the IRS. If we can simply reverse those numbers for one year (come on, we're running deficits anyway), California's deficit will be eliminated and we'll have a surplus that will cover us for a few years.

    What's wrong with California? We're chumps, subsidizing federal services for a bunch of other states who wonder what's wrong with California.
    Thank you! I had no idea California was doing that. And you even added a solution, Bronco bless you.

    New data helps. Anyone else have anything?

  22. #22
    Senior Member Hallelujah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,737

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    I have a modest proposal, based on the following facts: going back at least five years, each year the federal government has spent/sent $1.10 to each of Utah, Wyoming and Idaho for every buck the citizens of those fine states have sent to D.C. California, on the other hand, has received approx. $0.78 (I'm doing this from memory, so factcheckers may debunk this) for every dollar that Californians ship to the IRS. If we can simply reverse those numbers for one year (come on, we're running deficits anyway), California's deficit will be eliminated and we'll have a surplus that will cover us for a few years.

    What's wrong with California? We're chumps, subsidizing federal services for a bunch of other states who wonder what's wrong with California.
    How much of Cali's debt is associated with illegal (er.... undocumented) aliens (schools, medical care, crime). I thought it was around $10-$15B dollars. Pretty sizeable. Quit trying to get more money from the rest of us taxpayers and fund your own mess. Plus all you need to do is get the hollywood elite to pitch in and donate millions for the causes they are so adamant about.

    Oh I forgot, the hollywood elite want OUR money to fund their causes. Shame on me.

  23. #23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
    Thank you! I had no idea California was doing that. And you even added a solution, Bronco bless you.

    New data helps. Anyone else have anything?
    I guess not.

    So is the argument here that if California had merely sent as much to Washington as it received from Washington, the state would not be in this financial mess?

  24. #24
    Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Pleasanton, CA
    Posts
    11,700

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
    I guess not.

    So is the argument here that if California had merely sent as much to Washington as it received from Washington, the state would not be in this financial mess?
    Well, that wasn't really my argument, although I'm still open to such a solution. In truth, the problem was due to a legislature that found itself the recipient of huge amounts of tax revenue due first to the dot com bubble, followed by the real estate bubble. Rather than tighten belts and set money aside for a rainy day, they took the windfall and spent it. Now that the rainy day has come, no funds are available to support all the cool ideas they had while the sun shone.

  25. #25
    Senior Member il Padrino Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Murray, Utah
    Posts
    19,204

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    Well, that wasn't really my argument, although I'm still open to such a solution. In truth, the problem was due to a legislature that found itself the recipient of huge amounts of tax revenue due first to the dot com bubble, followed by the real estate bubble. Rather than tighten belts and set money aside for a rainy day, they took the windfall and spent it. Now that the rainy day has come, no funds are available to support all the cool ideas they had while the sun shone.
    You could have just said that Linda Rondstadt tricked Jerry Brown into giving her the state's PIN and she emptied the state's bank account.
    "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


    "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

  26. #26
    Soul Plumber wuapinmon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Hartsville, South Carolina
    Posts
    28,237

    Default

    I do not care for California because there are too many people crammed into too small an area for my liking. I think their social programs are excellent and remind me of Denmark. I also think that PAC is accurate is his observations. If I were to live in California I would not be happy because the wide open spaces are not the kind that I appreciate.

    My sister lives in Big Sur and is apeshit for the place.
    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

  27. #27
    Huge Member BigPiney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    5,154

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wuapinmon View Post
    I do not care for California because there are too many people crammed into too small an area for my liking. I think their social programs are excellent and remind me of Denmark. I also think that PAC is accurate is his observations. If I were to live in California I would not be happy because the wide open spaces are not the kind that I appreciate.

    My sister lives in Big Sur and is apeshit for the place.
    That is why I live where I do.



    That is my little town down there in the valley

  28. #28
    𐐐𐐄𐐢𐐆𐐤𐐝 𐐓𐐅 𐐜 𐐢𐐃𐐡𐐔 Uncle Ted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Where ∑ ★'s = 1
    Posts
    18,784

    Default

    CEOs rank Texas tops for business, California worst

    Texas remains the top state for business and California still holds the title for the worst, according to an annual ranking of states by Chief Executive magazine released on Wednesday.

    Chief Executive each year surveys CEOs and asks them to grade states in which they do business. This year 650 responded, giving Texas high marks "foremost for its business-friendly tax and regulatory environment," a report on the survey and ranking said on the magazine's website.

    "Texas easily clinched the No. 1 rank, the eighth successive time it has done so," the report said. "California earns the dubious honor of being ranked dead last for the eighth consecutive year."

    California "appears to slip deeper into the ninth circle of business hell," the report said. "Each year, the evidence that businesses are leaving California or avoid locating there because of the high cost of doing business due to excessive state taxes and stringent regulations, grows."

    New York was ranked just ahead of California.

    [...]
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "I never preached in Texas, but I have preached in places as wicked..." -Brigham Young.
    "If we do nothing we'll be substantially behind (other Power leagues) a decade from now." -Bob Bowlsby on Big 12 expansion.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

  29. #29
    The dude abides Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    46,508

    Default



    Here is an article with the full list:

    http://chiefexecutive.net/best-worst...-business-2012

    Utah comes in at #9.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

  30. #30
    Senior Member byu71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    22,124

    Default

    I wonder what party the governors of the top 10 are and what party the governors of the bottom ten belong to. I have a guess and looked but I don't know which party has control in some of the states.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •