Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1321222324 LastLast

Thread: What is wrong with California?

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Ted View Post
    Yeah, I agree.

Someone told me once (or maybe I read it) that the guy that does that commentary scene is/was actually a resident of Carthage. Apparently there are lots of locals in that movie.
    Yeah, my understanding is that all the interview segments of the movie were with actual residents - kind of a partial documentary.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Quote Originally Posted by LiveCoug View Post
    When we lived in Bakersfield for a couple of years, people (especially from Utah) would ask "Oh, the place with the big thermometer?".
    Did you ever eat at the Greek place? It is supposed to be good.

UofU/BYU mixed marriage Scott R Nelson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BigPiney View Post
    Did you ever eat at the Greek place? It is supposed to be good.
    The Mad Greek. My first choice of a place to eat when passing through there.

Quote Originally Posted by Topper View Post
    Chico State May be one of the worst universities around. Some pretty venues but a dump of a town.
    Chico is a dump? Chico? When were you last there? Any chance you're confusing it with some other city? Those old Playboy rankings are still the only reason most Americans have even heard of Chico State. I have no idea where it ranks academically, but I've lived in far Nor Cal long enough now to realize it serves its community well.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
    Chico is a dump? Chico? When were you last there? Any chance you're confusing it with some other city? Those old Playboy rankings are still the only reason most Americans have even heard of Chico State. I have no idea where it ranks academically, but I've lived in far Nor Cal long enough now to realize it serves its community well.
    I believe I had heard of Chico State prior to this discussion. I was unaware of its academic reputation and/or party school heritage. I am definitely representative of all Americans, so feel free to extrapolate that to the rest of the country.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Quote Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
    While Chico State won't be mistaken for Stanford, or any of the UC schools for that matter, it has come a long way since the #1 party school title (most of the cal state schools have). It is so incredibly competitive to get into any of the U.C. schools these days, that the Cal State system (including Chico) is full of kids that graduated in the top 10-15% of their class due to an overflow effect. As a result the quality of the education has greatly increased due to the quality of the students getting significantly better. My Son who has a 4.2 GPA has a 1390 on the SAT, and is a multi sport letter in both track (four years) and football (three years) can't sniff entrance into a U.C school based on academics. He is hoping track gets him a shot at some of the second tier UC schools but he probably isn't quite fast enough for most of them. So he will likely be left with some cal state school...hopefully SLO we will see but Chico isn't out of the question.
    It is unbelievable how competitive the UC, and to a slightly lesser extent, the CSU systems are right now. A buddy's son has a 4.6 adjusted GPA, 1560 SAT, senior class president, multiple varsity sports, and he still didn't get into UCLA and SLO. Even SDSU required basically a 4.0 and 33 ACT this year.

Quote Originally Posted by frank ryan View Post
    I'm pretty sure that is a was instead of is. It's probably a school in an awesome town like UTEP that holds that title now.
    The city of Chico has really clamped down on the party environment the last decade or so. Mostly shut down the famous Halloween party that consumed almost all of downtown, outlawed drinking on their annual back-to-school float down the river. They had a few over-drinking deaths at frat parties not too long ago, so they have put quite a bit of pressure on hazings as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelado View Post
    I believe I had heard of Chico State prior to this discussion. I was unaware of its academic reputation and/or party school heritage. I am definitely representative of all Americans, so feel free to extrapolate that to the rest of the country.
    My apologies. My comment comes from many years of experience. That party school ranking is to Chico State what polygamy is to Mormonism. It's the one thing that just about everybody "knows" about the school.

Last edited by SteelBlue; 04-25-2018 at 10:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
    It is unbelievable how competitive the UC, and to a slightly lesser extent, the CSU systems are right now. A buddy's son has a 4.6 adjusted GPA, 1560 SAT, senior class president, multiple varsity sports, and he still didn't get into UCLA and SLO. Even SDSU required basically a 4.0 and 33 ACT this year.
    It is really frustrating. I am to the point of being completely OK with him going to the local JC for a semester or two and then transferring. Will save a ton of money and will alleviate a mountain of stress.
    Dyslexics are teople poo...

Quote Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
    SDSU is a great school academically, no doubt about it. But those numbers seem too high. According to this site, ACT = 26 or above gives you 50% odds. Average GPA of admitted freshmen = 3.6.

Prospective students submitting an ACT composite of 26 or higher should be in the upper half of applicants - and students with a 28 and above have very competitive chances.
    http://www.collegesimply.com/college...ity/admission/
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    SDSU is a great school academically, no doubt about it. But those numbers seem too high. According to this site, ACT = 26 or above gives you 50% odds. Average GPA of admitted freshmen = 3.6.

http://www.collegesimply.com/college...ity/admission/
    That's what I thought as well. My estimate is anecdotal based on who I know that got in and who didn't. With those numbers on that site my son should have been easy. Not so. In fact when we were waiting to hear back from them a few months ago I plugged his numbers into a few calculators and it gave him about a 34% chance of acceptance. Similar chance at UC Santa Cruz, which seems to be one of the easier UCs to get into.

I got this email today and thought I would pass it on to my California friends before the Iron Curtain is closed...

CalGG.jpg

Here is the link: https://ghostgunner.net/pages/california
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
    Yeah, it is a crazy law... let's all hope they get on that last helicopter out.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Ted View Post
    Yeah, it is a crazy law... let's all hope they get on that last helicopter out.
    Cocoa_Puffs.jpg

Don't know if I'm adding anything new here...

I just came back to California today after spending a week in Idaho getting my new house sorted out. It used to be that as soon we crossed the California line on I-80 heading out of Reno, things started to feel better and I was happy to be back in California. More so if I had spent time in Utah. It felt better to be around California drivers and I had a better attitude about life in general while in the state.

But this time I was just noticing how crowded everything is and how much more gas costs. Now that I'm committed to leaving I'm just seeing the flaws that I was able to overlook in past years. Another month and I'm out of here for good.

I was in San Diego from Thurs-Mon. I took my 10-year-old to participate in the F.I.R.S.T. Lego League Legoland International Open competition. We also toured the USS Midway Museum, the San Diego Zoo, and went to the beach a couple of times. Aside from being a little colder than I expected (I think it was warmer in Boise each day), it was a pretty awesome trip.
    "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
    "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
    This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
    "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
    "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Touring the Midway is one of my favorite things to do in SD.

I spent the last four days in OC and it was overcast and cold. Still had a lot of fun but it could have been better. Hit Coach's Mediterranean Grill on Main Street Huntington Beach and got the mixed grill. Definitely one of the most tasty dishes I've had in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaka View Post

I spent the last four days in OC and it was overcast and cold. Still had a lot of fun but it could have been better. Hit Coach's Mediterranean Grill on Main Street Huntington Beach and got the mixed grill. Definitely one of the most tasty dishes I've had in a while.
    I was worried that my daughter would be bored after an hour, but she loved all four+ hours we spent on board. We would have stayed another hour but it was closing time.
    "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
    "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
    This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug

So I guess your critiques are that its cold in CA?
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    So I guess your critiques are that its cold in CA?
    It was pretty pleasant--low 60s. Probably kept crowds away from the beach on Saturday and the zoo yesterday. Neither of us got sunburned.

If I had to critique, I'd say that traffic is what's wrong with California.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Student View Post
    It was pretty pleasant--low 60s. Probably kept crowds away from the beach on Saturday and the zoo yesterday. Neither of us got sunburned.

BZZZZZ!

Oh, I'm sorry, the answer we were looking for was minorities.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    BZZZZZ!

Oh, I'm sorry, the answer we were looking for was minorities.
    Well, who do you think was driving those cars?

Pre-Historic Man

Quote Originally Posted by Shaka View Post

It is a great way to spend a large part of a morning or afternoon. Last time my son and I were in San Diego, we spend hours going over all of it.
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Well, who do you think was driving those cars?

We've enjoyed the Midway as well. In the past we stayed in the Navy Lodge on North Island. Breaker Beach is awesome. I would love to live in San Diego for the year-round weather alone.

That's also what's wrong with Utah along the Wasatch Front.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R Nelson View Post
    That's also what's wrong with Utah along the Wasatch Front.
    While certainly not right, it's not California wrong...yet.

This is a pretty good piece. Depressing, but good:

In California, the “Jungle” Is Predictable

Primary results suggest overwhelming Democratic governance—though not without trouble signs.

https://www.city-journal.org/html/ca...ble-15955.html
    “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
    ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
    -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    This is a pretty good piece. Depressing, but good:

In California, the “Jungle” Is Predictable

Primary results suggest overwhelming Democratic governance—though not without trouble signs.

https://www.city-journal.org/html/ca...ble-15955.html
    LA you need to get out before the rest of the union builds the wall and makes California pay for it.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!