No announcement yet.

What is wrong with California?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
    Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
    You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

• But if you are looking for a sh!thole... try Ohio.

You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
      Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
      You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

• Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
        Shouldn't this be in the what's right with California thread?
        Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

• Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
          I lived in San Ramon and it sucked.

Comment

• Originally posted by New Mexican Disaster View Post
            I lived in San Ramon and it sucked.
            Wow... you must make it rain to live in a place like that.
            "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
            "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
            "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• California has worst 'quality of life' in US, study says
              Awards season is in full swing in California, and the Golden State just took home a booby prize of its own.

California ranks dead last among U.S. states in quality of life, according to a study by U.S. News, ranking behind New Jersey (49th) and Indiana (48th).

The ignominious honor reflects California's low marks in the sub-categories of environmental quality and social engagement. The latter category measures voting participation and community bonds.

Californians scored poorly in part because they're simply insufferable, U.S. News suggested.

"In addition to a healthy environment, a person's quality of life is largely a result of their interactions with those around them," the magazine wrote in a blurb accompanying the results.

One way to measure quality life is whether residents can even afford to have a roof over their heads, and by that standard, California is failing.

A 2017 Harvard University report said that one-third of renters in the Los Angeles area are "severely rent burdened," meaning they spend at least half their income on housing. The median rent for a one-bedroom apartment in Los Angeles County has increased 67%, according to Zillow's Rent Index, the Los Angeles Times reports.

Homelessness has surged a stunning 75 percent in the last six years, the Los Angeles Times reports, and there are now at least 55,000 homeless people in the county.

U.S. News ranked each state in seven other areas, which were weighted based on a survey that determined their importance to the public: health care, education, economy, opportunity, infrastructure, crime and corrections, and fiscal stability.
              [...]
              If the stock market shifts from gains to losses, Standard & Poor's said, the budget could be negatively impacted in a major way because about half of the state's revenue comes from the wealthiest 1% in California.

California finished No. 43 in fiscal stability, No. 46 in opportunity, and No. 38 in infrastructure. It posted relatively high marks in health care (11th), economy (4th), and crime and corrections (28th).

California ranked No. 32 among all U.S. states overall, behind New York (25th), New Jersey (19th), and Florida (15th).

Which state has the best quality of life?

Iowa, which scored highly in infrastructure and health care, took the top spot overall.
              http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/03/01...tudy-says.html

California needs to raise the state tax rate and fix this sh*t! Embarrassing.
              "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post

Looks like they faired pretty similar to Texas in most categories. California actually came out 4 spots better overall.

Utah finished 3rd overall.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/rankings

Comment

Not to rain on Cali's thread...

Here's the "overall" list: https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/rankings

It includes overall score for areas of: Health Care, Education, Economy, Opportunity, Infrastructure, Crime & Corrections, Fiscal Stability, and Quality of Life.

While California comes in 50th for quality of life, they come in at #32 in the overall rankings. They made top 10 in one category - economy.

Just for comparison sake...

Texas comes in #46 for quality of life and #36 overall. Texas also had one top 10 finish, also in economy.

Utah comes in #22 for quality of life - and #3 overall! Utah also has five (5!) top 10 finishes, in: Health Care, Education, Economy, Infrastructure and Fiscal Stability. Utah's lowest score (35) was in opportunity. Texas and Cali both had scores lower than 35 in four different areas.

Hmmm. On second thought, maybe I should've put this in the "What is right with Utah" thread...

Comment

• Californians fed up with housing costs and taxes are fleeing state in big numbers

• More Californians are moving from the Golden State, particularly lower-income residents, although even middle-class residents are saying goodbye.
                    • The trend is a symptom of the state's housing crunch and, for some, high taxes.
                    • Census Bureau data show California lost just over 138,000 people to domestic migration in the 12 months ended in July 2017.
                    • Lower-cost states such as Arizona, Texas and Nevada are popular destinations for relocating Californians.

[...]
                    https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/19/cali...ing-state.html

I don't understand... I thought California was the liberal utopia. Who would want to leave that?
                    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

I don't understand... I thought California was the liberal utopia. Who would want to leave that?
                      poor people? bye felicia
                      Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

I've read "everyone's leaving California" reports off and on over the past 50+ years. It reminds of Yogi Berra's disdainful observation of a local restaurant, "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded."

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                          I've read "everyone's leaving California" reports off and on over the past 50+ years. It reminds of Yogi Berra's disdainful observation of a local restaurant, "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded."
                          Thanks for putting us at ease... I was starting to think that Drumpf was right about building the wall but wrong about the location.
                          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                            Yeah no kidding. I wish the number leaving was more like 10 million instead of only 130k. It would be nice to be able to drive 25 miles in 25 minutes instead of 1.5 hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

• Originally posted by Flystripper View Post
                              Yeah no kidding. I wish the number leaving was more like 10 million instead of only 130k. It would be nice to be able to drive 25 miles in 25 minutes instead of 1.5 hours.
                              California should raise the taxes on gas and build more roads.
                              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

California should raise the taxes on gas and build more roads.
                                You mean build more high speed rail lines, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Working...
                                X