The Prime Rib (and other beef) Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
    Actually, after the 90 mins, it looked like the mustard crust was burning on the rib rack (temp was 155F), so I got out my tongs and flipped it. I'm going for pink. My wife won't eat anything that isn't really well done, so I'm going to sear hers in a cast-iron skillet once I cut it out. I like mine medium--I've only ever had good rare prime rib at fancy restaurants like The Chart House in the French Quarter. I am going to try to make a horseradish cream sauce here in a minute.

The menu is:

Prime Rib
    Dill Cream Baby Carrots
    Mashed Red Potatoes
    Pan-Roasted Brussels Sprouts
    Baguette

They're bringing dessert.
    Hey wuap, how did this all turn out? Sounds heavenly.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
      Hey wuap, how did this all turn out? Sounds heavenly.

I took some heavy whipping cream and beat it on medium in a bowl for about a minute. When it started to set, I added some table salt and two heaping tablespoons of prepared horseradish. The result was fantastic.

I cooked the prime rib to 150F, and there were spots of pink, but it still looked like it was done (Mrs. wuap won't eat pink meat ). All the other dishes came together nicely, and the couple loved the food. He especially got almost excited about how good it was, and it tasted pretty damned good. I can't afford to drop $50 on meat for a meal all the time, but if you think about it, it's not too expensive because. Four people each had a thick slice, I sent them home with a slice each, and I still had two slices left. One slice is a meal, so 50/8 = $6.25 per person, which isn't bad at all. Next time I'll keep the bones, drippings, and fat and make prime rib stock, which I've learned is absolutely fabulous for a red wine/onion soup.
      "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

So I just bought a prime rib today to cook on Christmas. Do leave it in the fridge till then or freeze it? or should I do the dry age thing for a week?

Comment

Originally posted by jay santos View Post
          So I just bought a prime rib today to cook on Christmas. Do leave it in the fridge till then or freeze it? or should I do the dry age thing for a week?
          Leave in the fridge. Pull out several hours before cooking, salt, and allow to come to room temp. You can add other seasoning (pepper,herbs, garlic) then put it in the oven.
          "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

Originally posted by hostile View Post
            Leave in the fridge. Pull out several hours before cooking, salt, and allow to come to room temp. You can add other seasoning (pepper,herbs, garlic) then put it in the oven.
            How long do they keep? Is it best to buy one now, or wait a few days?

Also, they sell both "ribeye roast" and "bone-in prime rib roast". Isn't that essentially the same thing, with and without the bone? Anyone have preferences one way or the other?

(sorry for the dumb questions - first time doing prime rib)
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

I had a first today buying gas at Maverick. Saw a couple of dude's pull up in a food distribution truck. As I was filling one of them approached me and asked if I'd like to buy some steak. Thinking it was weird I questioned him regarding what it was and why he was selling. He stated they needed some gas. I asked him what I could get for ten bucks. He was willing to give me a couple of rib eyes and a filet. I was curious so I gave him the ten bucks. Sure enough he came back with the meat. Turns out this meat was the Omaha stuff you buy in boxes with several different cuts.

The guy asked me if I would like more so I asked what he meant. He stated for forty bucks he would give me whatever I wanted. I got really suspicious at this point and really started in with the questions. I offered to fill his tank with the amount of money requested. He muttered something about needing petty cash as well as gas. I decided to call him on it, hit the ATM, and went over to his truck. He loaded me up a box full of rib eyes, T-bones, filets, and a few other items.

I noticed he drove away without buying any gas. I noted the number on the side of the truck and called the company. Turns out these guys are independent contractors and are just trying to meet their quota. They aren't supposed to be selling this way and will probably get in trouble. However I got plenty of meat for my money so I'm having no problems.

Interesting that these guys are using the same marketing strategy as the speakermen (google it if you don't know who they are) but applying it to meat sales. I may have got ripped off. I'll find out soon as I'm about to pull one of the rib eyes off the grill.

Comment

Also, they sell both "ribeye roast" and "bone-in prime rib roast". Isn't that essentially the same thing, with and without the bone? Anyone have preferences one way or the other?

They keep for a week in the fridge easily. My preference is for bone-in, because I think the fat between the bones adds a lot of flavor.
                sigpic
                "Outlined against a blue, gray
                October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
                Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

Originally posted by Shaka View Post
                  I had a first today buying gas at Maverick. Saw a couple of dude's pull up in a food distribution truck. As I was filling one of them approached me and asked if I'd like to buy some steak. Thinking it was weird I questioned him regarding what it was and why he was selling. He stated they needed some gas. I asked him what I could get for ten bucks. He was willing to give me a couple of rib eyes and a filet. I was curious so I gave him the ten bucks. Sure enough he came back with the meat. Turns out this meat was the Omaha stuff you buy in boxes with several different cuts.

The guy asked me if I would like more so I asked what he meant. He stated for forty bucks he would give me whatever I wanted. I got really suspicious at this point and really started in with the questions. I offered to fill his tank with the amount of money requested. He muttered something about needing petty cash as well as gas. I decided to call him on it, hit the ATM, and went over to his truck. He loaded me up a box full of rib eyes, T-bones, filets, and a few other items.

I noticed he drove away without buying any gas. I noted the number on the side of the truck and called the company. Turns out these guys are independent contractors and are just trying to meet their quota. They aren't supposed to be selling this way and will probably get in trouble. However I got plenty of meat for my money so I'm having no problems.

Interesting that these guys are using the same marketing strategy as the speakermen (google it if you don't know who they are) but applying it to meat sales. I may have got ripped off. I'll find out soon as I'm about to pull one of the rib eyes off the grill.
                  This isn't a new tactic by any means. I am surprised this is the first you have seen of these guys. Usually they drive through neighborhoods and stop people in their driveways. The story is usually always the same, they have a canceled order and can't take the meat back and are willing to part with it for a loss or the refrigerator on their truck has gone out and they need to get rid of their meat before it spoils. My mom recently got suckered into this purchased some free range chicken. It looked nice. Independently wrapped in a box. But she overpaid and the chicken was terrible.
                  "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                  -Turtle
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                    This isn't a new tactic by any means. I am surprised this is the first you have seen of these guys. Usually they drive through neighborhoods and stop people in their driveways. The story is usually always the same, they have a canceled order and can't take the meat back and are willing to part with it for a loss or the refrigerator on their truck has gone out and they need to get rid of their meat before it spoils. My mom recently got suckered into this purchased some free range chicken. It looked nice. Independently wrapped in a box. But she overpaid and the chicken was terrible.
                    I just finished the rib eye. It was fantastic. I'm familiar with the meat these guys were selling. It's good stuff although frozen. They made sure to emphasize that you should sear it on both sides while still frozen the lower the temp to finish it off.

Comment

same cut of meat - I prefer bone in for any cut of meat I am roasting. I think it gives it a better flavor, but that is just me.
                      Last edited by happyone; 12-19-2011, 08:20 PM.

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

Bone In

Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

As others have stated, the bone-in is my preference as well. I unwrap mine from the store packaging and re-wrap tightly in saran-wrap. I've had no problem keeping it in the fridge for several days, up to a week. I'll probably swing by Costco on Wednesday to pick one up for Sunday. Throw in some roasted brussel sprouts and garlic mashed potatoes and Voila!!! - Christmas dinner.
                          "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

Originally posted by hostile View Post
                            As others have stated, the bone-in is my preference as well. I unwrap mine from the store packaging and re-wrap tightly in saran-wrap. I've had no problem keeping it in the fridge for several days, up to a week. I'll probably swing by Costco on Wednesday to pick one up for Sunday. Throw in some roasted brussel sprouts and garlic mashed potatoes and Voila!!! - Christmas dinner.
                            Gotcha. I will pick one up Wednesday or Thursday. Thanks everyone.

Next question: preferred seasoning. Sounds like a lot of you just go with salt and pepper. Anyone recommend something more exotic?

Comment

Gotcha. I will pick one up Wednesday or Thursday. Thanks everyone.

Next question: preferred seasoning. Sounds like a lot of you just go with salt and pepper. Anyone recommend something more exotic?
                              I usually salt the meat for several hours, so it gets absorbed then add a combination of herbs (rosemary, thyme, marjoram), minced garlic, pepper, mustard (I use powder, but you can also use Dijon) and olive oil. With the bone-in I use a knife to create a space between the meat and bone and fill it with the herb mixture in addition to covering the top side of the roast.

Comment

Serious question:

Costco won't take pre orders on its prime rib, and it invariably runs out. Can I buy the prime rib today (about 6 days prior to Christmas) and leave it in the fridge until christmas? Should I freeze it?

Comment

Working...
                                X