No announcement yet.

The Prime Rib (and other beef) Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not having prime rib for dinner tonight. Damn you all in this thread.

Comment

I had steak frites last night. It was good.
      So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

Is there any point in smoking one of these bad boys? It obviously doesn't do anything to make the cut more tender, but I wonder if a subtle smoky flavor would be a nice addition.
        Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

Originally posted by cowboy View Post
          Salt, pepper, and garlic salt. I'm kind of a minimalist when it comes to rub, but I believe it's really hard to put too much salt on a roast. A prime rib is so large, and there is so much fat on the outer layer that the rub doesn't really affect the meat, but it makes really tasty drippings and snacking treats.
          I do a rub with salt, pepper, garlic, mustard, and herbs (thyme, rosemary). I agree that the affect on the meat is minimal, but the crispy fat and drippings are killer. I've started adding the drippings to mashed potatoes.

I did 2 10# roasts last year for the family get-together. My mom thought it would be too much meat and too much work. I told her it would be near impossible to have too much meat, which was confirmed by the empty platters and people asking if there was more. I haven't tried to dissuade her from the belief of how much work it takes so nobody complains when I volunteer to cook the meat in the future.
          "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

Originally posted by hostile View Post
            I do a rub with salt, pepper, garlic, mustard, and herbs (thyme, rosemary). I agree that the affect on the meat is minimal, but the crispy fat and drippings are killer. I've started adding the drippings to mashed potatoes.
            That's a really good idea.

Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
            Is there any point in smoking one of these bad boys? It obviously doesn't do anything to make the cut more tender, but I wonder if a subtle smoky flavor would be a nice addition.
            To be honest, I'm kind of smoked out when it comes to most meat, but I still very much enjoy it in a prime rib. It really does make a nice flavor. I just smoke pork butts, turkey, chucks anymore for my family, who doesn't get it nearly as much as I do, and I'm kind of tired of smoked meats overall, but a smoked prime rib is still fantastic to me.
            sigpic
            "Outlined against a blue, gray
            October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
            Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
              I was at Wal-Mart yesterday and they over ordered special cuts of meat. I got a 5.2 lbs. boneless prime rib roast (USDA: Choice) for $32.
              For comparison, choice, boneless rib roast at Costco in SLC is going for $8.99/lb. Prime is at 10.89.
              "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

For comparison, choice, boneless rib roast at Costco in SLC is going for $8.99/lb. Prime is at 10.89.
                I didn't think Costco sold Prime grade beef. Are you sure? That is good to know.
                Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                  I didn't think Costco sold Prime grade beef. Are you sure? That is good to know.
                  Certain cuts, yes. It is not always available, but there is a section for USDA Prime, at least at the one in Murray. Usually they have rib-eye steak and strip steak. Around the holidays you can get rib eye roasts

Comment

Certain cuts, yes. It is not always available, but there is a section for USDA Prime, at least at the one in Murray. Usually they have rib-eye steak and strip steak. Around the holidays you can get rib eye roasts
                    Yum. Thanks, that is good to know. I didn't know that.

A true Prime rib. There are worse things in life, I suppose!
                    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

I think the Harmons in Draper has prime versions of most the cuts mentioned above. I'm sure it costs more than Costco but I buy they prime steaks on a regular basis and they are fab.

Comment

Originally posted by Shaka View Post
                        I think the Harmons in Draper has prime versions of most the cuts mentioned above. I'm sure it costs more than Costco but I buy they prime steaks on a regular basis and they are fab.
                        The Harmon's in Farmington also carries prime beef - it is about 3 timesl the cost of choice. The last time I was in there ( about 3 weeks ago ) rib eye steaks where $15/lb
                        Last edited by happyone; 11-30-2011, 03:12 PM.

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

I've recovered from the trauma of my Thanksgiving Day food poisoning and am ready to fire up the Traeger. I have two very nice tri-tip roasts that I will be smoking today. I've rubbed them with Traeger's Prime Rib Rub and am letting them sit for an hour or two.

Anyone have cooking tips? Time and temp? I figured I'd sear them on my gas gril and then switch them over to the Traeger.

Comment

I've recovered from the trauma of my Thanksgiving Day food poisoning and am ready to fire up the Traeger. I have two very nice tri-tip roasts that I will be smoking today. I've rubbed them with Traeger's Prime Rib Rub and am letting them sit for an hour or two.

Anyone have cooking tips? Time and temp? I figured I'd sear them on my gas gril and then switch them over to the Traeger.
                            Good luck!

I haven't done a tri-tip but I do chuck roasts all the time. I insert the temp probe put them on at 250 degrees and just leave them at that temp until done. You will need to decide how done you want them. First time I did it I cooked until ~145 and I thought it was great but it was too rare for my family's tastes. I now cook to 160-170 degrees which is medium well or well done but the relatively slow cooking results in a tender and juicy roast. They still turn out great. Here is a post with some photos. This was from the first time I did it (cooked to 145 degrees):

http://www.cougaruteforum.com/showpo...0&postcount=73

Tri-tips are not as tender as chucks (in my experience) so you might want to cook it a little more on the rare side.

It probably wouldn't hurt, but I don't think you will need to sear them first.
                            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Excellent. Exactly the advice I was looking for. I'll forgo the sear and follow your lead. I'll snap some pics of the process.

Comment

I thought the reverse sear is the preferred method now days.

Comment

Working...
                                X