No announcement yet.

The Prime Rib (and other beef) Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So another week where my wife came home with a chuck roast for the crockpot instead of prime rib so I started thinking about the smoker...

[YOUTUBE]OaT14w1W84M[/YOUTUBE]

Easy recipe. I set the smoker at 250 and put the roast on for a little over 2 hours, then foiled and toweled for another 40 minutes for this small 2.5-lb roast.

The Pit Boys sliced theirs for sandwiches and au jus, but it is Sunday so I served ours with mashed potatoes and gravy made from the juice. Best gravy ever - the smoke and the little bit of hot sauce put it over the top.

"It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

Comment

• Anytime of the year is a great time for ribeyes. The weather has been so nice, we thought it would be great to do some steaks. We also had ABTs, garden salad, and mashed potatoes. (The mashed potatoes are essentially the filling for my wife's twice baked potatoes. Sooooooooooo good.) Fresh apple pie for dessert.
      "Sure, I fought. I had to fight all my life just to survive. They were all against me. Tried every dirty trick to cut me down, but I beat the bastards and left them in the ditch."

- Ty Cobb

Comment

• I'm doing braised short ribs tomorrow. Braise for a few hours with mirepoix, herbs, broth and vino. Easy and good.

Comment

• bump.

I am going to be doing another prime rib roast on Christmas day. I promise not to post any pics this year of those scary-looking garlic cloves.

Who is with me?
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
            bump.

I am going to be doing another prime rib roast on Christmas day. I promise not to post any pics this year of those scary-looking garlic cloves.

Who is with me?
            I'm doing a ham. That is the tradition in my wife's culture. The compromise is a New Years prime rib. I'd rather do prime rib for both.
            A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

bump.

Who is with me?
              Still sensitive.

I'm picking up my PR from the butcher tomorrow.

Comment

• My FIL has requested ribs...

Comment

• Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                  Still sensitive.

I'm picking up my PR from the butcher tomorrow.

It was a joke. Sorry.
                  "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                  "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                  "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

bump.

Who is with me?
                    My sister sent ribs and brisket from Jack Stack BBQ in KC so that's what we're having for Christmas, but I'd like to try Prime Rib for New Years.

Post detailed instructions and pics!
                    "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

Comment

bump.

Who is with me?
                      It will come as no surprise to hear that our family is with you. On a related (kind of) note, the feedlot that finishes our cattle FedEx'd us a pre-cooked, smoked prime rib that was one of the best I've ever eaten. All we had to do was warm it up and eat it, which was nice, and it was incredible.
                      sigpic
                      "Outlined against a blue, gray
                      October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
                      Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

• Nik and Moliere,

Do you guys have a butcher in Houston that you use? There is one near my house, but I was disappointed with the prime rib I bought from him.
                        Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

• I'm in. My mom tried to give me all these prime rib recipes she found. I told her to feel free to cook it how she wants it, but if she wanted me to cook it, she'd better back off and just enjoy the results. It is going to be a late dinner for us because we are going to all go see Les Miserables at noon or 1. I'll probabbly do some pulled pork or ribs for Christmas Eve and ham for new years.
                          "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

Comment

• Ha ha, not prime rib, but sukiyaki for Christmas, but the meat is thinly sliced New York steak.

Comment

• For the big family dinner the request has been for ham.

I will be doing Prime Rib for sure on New Year's.
                              "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

• Following the lead of the CUF Beef Braintrust, we're doing a prime rib roast again this evening. As we're still novices, two questions have arisen, and I told the missus I had access to a panel of experts on the subject. We got our beef from Costco, btw.

1. Ribs up or down in the roasting pan?

2. Ever dedicated to shedding fat on her bike, Mrs. PAC is inclined to trim the roast to eliminate excess fat. I say no, to let the meat soak in the juicy goodness. Correct?

Comment

Working...
                                X