No announcement yet.

The Prime Rib (and other beef) Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No prime rib for me this year. I will be braising short ribs for the masses tomorrow.
    "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

Comment

• Originally posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
      After resting 30 minutes
      You need a sous-vide machine... and a better camera.
      You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
      Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
      You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

• I just sliced a 16.79 lbs. USDA Prime New York Strip into 21 steaks. When I was done, I had a good 6-7 ozs of tidbits left over. Kosher salt, ground black pepper, and granulated garlic for five minutes before throwing them into an ungreased cast-iron skillet that was smoking hot. They are fork tender and taste like I cooked them in butter. In about an hour, I'm going to be cooking steaks to order. This is some of the best steak I've ever eaten.
        "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

• Originally posted by Drunk Tank View Post
          No prime rib for me this year. I will be braising short ribs for the masses tomorrow.
          None for us either. Unexpected death in the family altered many of our holiday plans. We did lamb chops tonight which were very good.
          "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

• I got a rib roast at the store for cheap because the butcher got a little crazy with the saw. Here is a bird's-eye view of the roast while it is standing on its end; the cut is visible. Great marbling, though.

image.jpg

It was great. I also threw a loin strip roast on that was also on sale. I didn't take the time to tie it round, but it still came out OK.

image.jpg
            "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

• Cooking PRib for 50+ on the 2nd. Should be fun. I'll probably use the same method I used last time. It ended up pretty good.
              "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

Comment

• 57lbs untrimmed, 40lbs trimmed. At $9.30/lb, that is a lot of $$$ in trimmings.

4F3461C3-C30F-4AA6-BF88-9C6E8B6ABD45.jpg

6C72BEF3-ABB9-407E-88EA-34FC5F5B8DB7.jpg

84BF8428-B54B-4AB7-A7AB-23E756FE0F68.jpg

0E4288D7-A6AE-43FD-B187-DED8A0BE8E05.jpg

6F316505-E63B-4CAC-8A06-D4A3C13D1B85.jpg

Comment

57lbs untrimmed, 40lbs trimmed. At $9.30/lb, that is a lot of $$$ in trimmings.
                  $158.10 in trimmings.

Comment

57lbs untrimmed, 40lbs trimmed. At $9.30/lb, that is a lot of $$$ in trimmings.
                    That's about right for a bone-in product. Most people keep it on the bone for flavor and juiciness. Same with the fat cap. I assume you took it off to get more smoke?

For people looking for a good holiday roast, you'll get a better deal on pretty much anything than prime rib this time of year, though DT got a rockin deal at $9.30. The best prime rib alternative is the strip loin. An underdog cut is the Denver. It's thin like a brisket, but it is very tender, and can be grilled medium rare like the Tri-Tip. You'd probably have to go to a specialty meat shop for it, but it comes of the chuck roll and is very affordable. Last year I talked a friend of mine into going with a brisket for his company party because I knew he had a tight budget. He said his employees liked it just as much as prime rib. The short story is that everyone thinks they need to serve prime rib at company parties, so now is the time to get good deals, comparatively, on other cuts that are also very high quality.
                    Last edited by cowboy; 12-03-2017, 06:42 AM.
                    sigpic
                    "Outlined against a blue, gray
                    October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
                    Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

• Crock pot brisket at ward Christmas party.

I feel like I shouldn't complain, because strictly speaking, we got brisket. And yet, it feels like we went out of our way to assemble all of the components of a really solid dinner and deliberately decided not to follow through. Just, why?
                      τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

• I was told that Costco had prime brisket for $1.99 a pound right now. Anyone else see that? While prime rib is awesome, hard beat that brisket price for a big party. Although DT is making me question that.
                        A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

• Originally posted by CJF View Post
                          I was told that Costco had prime brisket for $1.99 a pound right now. Anyone else see that? While prime rib is awesome, hard beat that brisket price for a big party. Although DT is making me question that.
                          $2.79 per lb as of last night.
                          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• DT you should post the after pics you shared on Instagram. Phenomenal results.
                            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• How long do they keep? Is it best to buy one now, or wait a few days?
                              hi

Comment

• At least 10 days in the fridge. Boneless beef will keep for 45-60 days from slaughter, and most beef hits the grocery store within 10 days of slaughter.
                                sigpic
                                "Outlined against a blue, gray
                                October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
                                Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

Working...
                                X