Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: The Prime Rib (and other beef) Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    DT you should post the after pics you shared on Instagram. Phenomenal results.
    Here are a couple. It turned out great.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

That looks fantastic. Nice crust.
    "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Quote Originally Posted by cowboy View Post
    At least 10 days in the fridge. Boneless beef will keep for 45-60 days from slaughter, and most beef hits the grocery store within 10 days of slaughter.
    I am taking your word on this. Purchased a boneless p-rib roast (beautifully marbled) on 12/16. Sitting in the garage fridge.

Man, I love cooking prime rib for christmas.

PS: Nice of you to respond to our favorite bot. Bestellen is the best.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

I am taking your word on this. Purchased a boneless p-rib roast (beautifully marbled) on 12/16. Sitting in the garage fridge.

Man, I love cooking prime rib for christmas.

PS: Nice of you to respond to our favorite bot. Bestellen is the best.
    Well, it was a good question, so I thought the information would be useful.

You will be happy with the results. Do not worry if it has an off smell when you unwrap it. It is unlikely with only ten days aging, but after 40 days or so, wet aged beef will begin to smell. The smell dissipates after 30 minutes or so after unpackaging, and it is actually at this point that the beef is most tender. The problem is that it is also within a couple of weeks of going bad clear through, so it's best not to try pushing it to this point. Some restaurants are starting to dry-age beef for crazy long periods, like 4-6 months. They can do that because the beef will form a rind when it's not in a package. Still, it affects the flavor, and I'm not a fan of dry aging over 30-45 days.

"Outlined against a blue, gray
    October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
    Grantland Rice, 1924

I don't know if anyone else noticed, but Smith's in Northern Utah has USDA Choice whole bone-in prime ribs for $4.88/lb still in the cryovac bags today and tomorrow (actually yesterday, today and tomorrow )

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

crazy dry aged stuff is overrated. if i want cheese i will eat cheese.
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Quote Originally Posted by old_gregg View Post
    crazy dry aged stuff is overrated. if i want cheese i will eat cheese.
    That is a very good point. I take a similar approach with most other foods as well. Like if I want chips I will eat chips. And so on.

Quote Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
    That is a very good point. I take a similar approach with most other foods as well. Like if I want chips I will eat chips. And so on.
    yes

Quote Originally Posted by happyone View Post
    I don't know if anyone else noticed, but Smith's in Northern Utah has USDA Choice whole bone-in prime ribs for $4.88/lb still in the cryovac bags today and tomorrow (actually yesterday, today and tomorrow )
    Thanks for tip. I picked one up.

Welcome - I picked one up today before heading to work. I figure to cut in two and save one half for later.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Paging all dry-agers:

I have a 4-lb. roast and some ribeye steaks that I will prepare on the 25th. The sell-by date is the 22nd. Should I freeze the meat, or can I dry-age it? If so, do you remove it from the packaging?
    "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Public View Post
    Paging all dry-agers:

I have a 4-lb. roast and some ribeye steaks that I will prepare on the 25th. The sell-by date is the 22nd. Should I freeze the meat, or can I dry-age it? If so, do you remove it from the packaging?
    remove from packaging, put on cooling rack on cookie sheet

Default The Prime Rib (and other beef) Thread

I donít want mine to dry out and absorb fridge smells. Am I going to be ok leaving it in the packaging?

I did this a few years ago and it was great. But man I would hate to ruin this thing.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

I don’t want mine to dry out and absorb fridge smells. Am I going to be ok leaving it in the packaging?

I did this a few years ago and it was great. But man I would hate to ruin this thing.
    I’d remove the packaging, paper towel dry it and then re-wrap in plastic wrap.
    A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Saw a recipe on one of those semi-annoying 30-second cooking videos I’m trying tomorrow. Mix several herbs and spices with soft butter and coat the roast with it. Cook at 500 degrees for 5 mi Utes per pound. Turn off heat and let sit for two hours (don’t open oven door) slice and serve.
    Last edited by Green Monstah; 12-25-2017 at 10:42 AM.
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Quote Originally Posted by Green Monstah View Post
    Saw a recipe on one of those semi-annoying 30-second cooking videos I’m trying tomorrow. Mix several herbs and spices with soft butter and coat the roast with it. Cool at 500 degrees for 5 mi Utes per pound. Turn of heat and let sit for two hours (don’t open oven door) slice and serve.
    lol, sounds super dumb... especially the Utes part. Just get a sous-vide device.
    You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay

Y'all hear that? We're using code names. --Evelle Snoats

Saw a recipe on one of those semi-annoying 30-second cooking videos I’m trying tomorrow. Mix several herbs and spices with soft butter and coat the roast with it. Cool at 500 degrees for 5 mi Utes per pound. Turn of heat and let sit for two hours (don’t open oven door) slice and serve.
    Hah...for the record, I have this video saved and this will be the 2nd year that I am using it. It works perfect and the PRib will come out a perfect Med-Rare. And the gravy is bad ass.

burned butter is gross

The 10-day aging worked to perfection. Most tender p-rib ever. Did the salt pepper garlic olive oil wet rub. Seared for 25 minutes at 475 degrees then finished in the smoker at 250 degrees with oak until 133 degrees. Everybody raved.

Looks awesome.
    A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

The 10-day aging worked to perfection. Most tender p-rib ever. Did the salt pepper garlic olive oil wet rub. Seared for 25 minutes at 475 degrees then finished in the smoker at 250 degrees with oak until 133 degrees. Everybody raved.

Looks perfect. Nicely done. Thanks for posting this- it's always nice to know that someone is pleased with the outcome of a suggestion- so even though I didn't do anything, it is still rewarding to see your results.

Merry Christmas everyone.

"Outlined against a blue, gray
    October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
    Grantland Rice, 1924

Quote Originally Posted by cowboy View Post
    Looks perfect. Nicely done. Thanks for posting this- it's always nice to know that someone is pleased with the outcome of a suggestion- so even though I didn't do anything, it is still rewarding to see your results.

Merry Christmas everyone.

Costco standing prime rib roast last night. Aged 10 days. Standard rub of salt, pepper, mustard powder, garlic, evoo. 20 minutes at 500 degrees then roast at 200 until temp is right. Turned out great. If I could ever get home from work I’ll make a sandwich with the leftovers
    "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

My attempt at prime rib went over well. I cut the bones off and salted it the day before then put it back in the fridge uncovered. Took it out of the fridge and let it stand for about 1:30 minutes. I just seasoned it liberally with pepper and garlic powder -no more salt and tied the bones to the roast before putting it in the oven. Roasted at 275 for about 2:30 hours. I then turned the oven up to 450 for 45 minutes. It came out the medium side of med-rare. All the guests said it was pretty good.

I also use JL recipe for the horseradish sauce - got compliments on that as well.

didn't take any pictures - sorry

Everyone was sort of correct regarding my prime rib plans. Perfect medium rare, great gravy, gross burnt butter, and a little dumb. The high temp completely charred the spices, so the bark was not flavorful (at least, not in a good way). Haha.

I dropped $115 on a standing prime rib. I don't think I'm going to drop that kind of money on one again unless I cut it up into ribeyes!
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson