Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
    Serious question:

Costco won't take pre orders on its prime rib, and it invariably runs out. Can I buy the prime rib today (about 6 days prior to Christmas) and leave it in the fridge until christmas? Should I freeze it?
    unless you pick it up from the day old bin - beef should keep 4 or 5 days the fridge

Like Hostile said wrap in tightly in saran wrap - then keep it in the coldest spot in your fridge

Question - Does anybody else do a Yorkshire pudding when making prime rib?
    Last edited by happyone; 12-20-2011, 12:36 PM.

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

Originally posted by happyone View Post
      unless you pick it up from the day old bin - beef should keep 4 or 5 days the fridge

Like Hostile said wrap in tightly in saran wrap - then keep it in the coldest spot in your fridge

Question - Does anybody else do a Yorkshire pudding when making prime rib?
      I do popovers now. I put a recipe up and some pics in the Chophouse thread. Delish. And a big hit. I think prime rib should be accompanied by a pudding or a popover. Nice pairing.
      Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
        I do popovers now. I put a recipe up and some pics in the Chophouse thread. Delish. And a big hit. I think prime rib should be accompanied by a pudding or a popover. Nice pairing.
        I'm definitely doing the popovers this year.
        "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

Originally posted by hostile View Post
          I'm definitely doing the popovers this year.

they were so freaking good.

Comment

I stopped by the Co on my way home to get a pulse on the scene. I counted at least 15 prime rib roasts.

sigpic

Comment

I stopped by the Co on my way home to get a pulse on the scene. I counted at least 15 prime rib roasts.
              Were they all "prime" or were there some "choice" available as well.
              "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

Originally posted by hostile View Post
                Were they all "prime" or were there some "choice" available as well.
                actually I didnt check. I forgot about your experience. I ass-u-med they were all the standard Choice but I suppose it is possible that they were prime.

I'm going back tomorrow to scope it out. If it is truly prime, I will nab it. In fact, which Costco stocks the prime roast? I will just go there since I will be in SLC tomorrow.

sigpic

Comment

Shaka I have a friend that sells like this. I usually buy a steak and a chicken box from him every few months. He charges me about $80 I think the normal cost for a whole box of Steak is $120. Well worth it and the meat is always good.
                  *Banned*

Comment

actually I didnt check. I forgot about your experience. I ass-u-med they were all the standard Choice but I suppose it is possible that they were prime.

I'm going back tomorrow to scope it out. If it is truly prime, I will nab it. In fact, which Costco stocks the prime roast? I will just go there since I will be in SLC tomorrow.
                    I've found them at the one in Murray at 5300 S State - next to the hospital. I'm going there tomorrow as well so I can let you know.

Comment

Just picked up our's for $4.99/lb. Going to cook it on Christmas Eve. I have to work the afternoon on Christmas
                      "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

Comment

Originally posted by The Notorious J.I.C. View Post
                        Just picked up our's for $4.99/lb. Going to cook it on Christmas Eve. I have to work the afternoon on Christmas
                        Where? I would drive to Cedar for that price.
                        A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

My local Albertson's only has select-grade rib roasts (???). I was hoping to find something smaller than Costco size. However, I'll probably just go get whatever Costco has now. The rib roast is a family tradition for Christmas (ham for Easter, turkey for Thanksgiving, rib roast for Christmas), so I have to get something.
                          "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

Originally posted by CJF View Post
                            Where? I would drive to Cedar for that price.
                            Lin's Market. Still a 16 and a couple of 5-7 pounders left.
                            "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

Comment

If you're in Salt Lake, try Snider's. That's where I usually buy my good meat.

Edit. Highland Drive about 6200 South.
                              "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

Comment

Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
                                Serious question:

Costco won't take pre orders on its prime rib, and it invariably runs out. Can I buy the prime rib today (about 6 days prior to Christmas) and leave it in the fridge until christmas? Should I freeze it?
                                Yes. In fact, it should be better after a week in your fridge than it is now. One of the reasons that home raised beef is better than store-bought is that a butcher will hang it for 10-14 days while packing plants hang beef 4-7.

Aging beef tenderizes it, and you'd be surprised how long you can keep it in the fridge before it goes bad. I've mentioned before that the best steak I've ever had was a rib steak at a barbecue in Seymour, Texas. The steak had been cut from a rib roast that was aged for two weeks. The guy told me that he always ages his rib roasts for at least a week, and has aged them up to 30 days.

I'm not brave enough to go over 10 days with that much invested in a roast, but a week is easily doable. With locally butchered beef you generally don't want to go much over a week because it's already been aged, and it can go bad sooner. My steaks don't keep over 10-14 days in the fridge before they go bad, but they're already aged at least 14 days on the rail to start with.
                                sigpic
                                "Outlined against a blue, gray
                                October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
                                Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

Working...
                                X