The Prime Rib (and other beef) Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    DT you should post the after pics you shared on Instagram. Phenomenal results.
    Here are a couple. It turned out great.
    Attached Files
    "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

Comment

• That looks fantastic. Nice crust.
      "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

• Originally posted by cowboy View Post
        At least 10 days in the fridge. Boneless beef will keep for 45-60 days from slaughter, and most beef hits the grocery store within 10 days of slaughter.
        I am taking your word on this. Purchased a boneless p-rib roast (beautifully marbled) on 12/16. Sitting in the garage fridge.

Man, I love cooking prime rib for christmas.

PS: Nice of you to respond to our favorite bot. Bestellen is the best.
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

I am taking your word on this. Purchased a boneless p-rib roast (beautifully marbled) on 12/16. Sitting in the garage fridge.

Man, I love cooking prime rib for christmas.

PS: Nice of you to respond to our favorite bot. Bestellen is the best.
          Well, it was a good question, so I thought the information would be useful.

You will be happy with the results. Do not worry if it has an off smell when you unwrap it. It is unlikely with only ten days aging, but after 40 days or so, wet aged beef will begin to smell. The smell dissipates after 30 minutes or so after unpackaging, and it is actually at this point that the beef is most tender. The problem is that it is also within a couple of weeks of going bad clear through, so it's best not to try pushing it to this point. Some restaurants are starting to dry-age beef for crazy long periods, like 4-6 months. They can do that because the beef will form a rind when it's not in a package. Still, it affects the flavor, and I'm not a fan of dry aging over 30-45 days.
          sigpic
          "Outlined against a blue, gray
          October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
          Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

• I don't know if anyone else noticed, but Smith's in Northern Utah has USDA Choice whole bone-in prime ribs for $4.88/lb still in the cryovac bags today and tomorrow (actually yesterday, today and tomorrow )

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

• crazy dry aged stuff is overrated. if i want cheese i will eat cheese.
              Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                crazy dry aged stuff is overrated. if i want cheese i will eat cheese.
                That is a very good point. I take a similar approach with most other foods as well. Like if I want chips I will eat chips. And so on.

Comment

• Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                  That is a very good point. I take a similar approach with most other foods as well. Like if I want chips I will eat chips. And so on.
                  yes

Comment

• Originally posted by happyone View Post
                    I don't know if anyone else noticed, but Smith's in Northern Utah has USDA Choice whole bone-in prime ribs for $4.88/lb still in the cryovac bags today and tomorrow (actually yesterday, today and tomorrow )
                    Thanks for tip. I picked one up.

Comment

• Welcome - I picked one up today before heading to work. I figure to cut in two and save one half for later.

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

• Paging all dry-agers:

I have a 4-lb. roast and some ribeye steaks that I will prepare on the 25th. The sell-by date is the 22nd. Should I freeze the meat, or can I dry-age it? If so, do you remove it from the packaging?
                        "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

• Originally posted by Joe Public View Post
                          Paging all dry-agers:

I have a 4-lb. roast and some ribeye steaks that I will prepare on the 25th. The sell-by date is the 22nd. Should I freeze the meat, or can I dry-age it? If so, do you remove it from the packaging?
                          remove from packaging, put on cooling rack on cookie sheet

Comment

• The Prime Rib (and other beef) Thread

I don’t want mine to dry out and absorb fridge smells. Am I going to be ok leaving it in the packaging?

I did this a few years ago and it was great. But man I would hate to ruin this thing.
                            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

I don’t want mine to dry out and absorb fridge smells. Am I going to be ok leaving it in the packaging?

I did this a few years ago and it was great. But man I would hate to ruin this thing.
                              I’d remove the packaging, paper towel dry it and then re-wrap in plastic wrap.
                              A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

• Saw a recipe on one of those semi-annoying 30-second cooking videos I’m trying tomorrow. Mix several herbs and spices with soft butter and coat the roast with it. Cook at 500 degrees for 5 mi Utes per pound. Turn off heat and let sit for two hours (don’t open oven door) slice and serve.
                                Last edited by Green Monstah; 12-25-2017, 09:42 AM.
                                Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

Working...
                                X