No announcement yet.

The Prime Rib (and other beef) Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also, just for reference it takes 3-3.5 hours to get to 170 degrees. In the post I linked above it said that I cooked for 2 hours, so that should bracket your cooking time.

BTW, I used Traeger Prime Rib rub on the two roasts shown in the photo. Good stuff.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

I think things on the medium rare side so I'm going to shoot for 145.

By reverse sear you're writing about cranking the heat at the end of the process correct?

Comment

Originally posted by Shaka View Post
        I think things on the medium rare side so I'm going to shoot for 145.

By reverse sear you're writing about cranking the heat at the end of the process correct?
        Yes, indirect heat up to about 5-10 degrees below your target temp then put it on the high heat to sear it the rest of the way.

Comment

I'd be interested in trying smoked tri-tip, but it would have to be pretty good for me to go with that over a grilled tri-tip, as easy as they are to grill.
          "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

Comment

I just got back from a family gathering in Fresno. My uncle cooked some prime rib roasts. He should have looked at this thread first....
            "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

Comment

Before:

After:

Cooked the small one to 155 F and the large to 150F.

Taste tests coming.

Comment

I made a prime rib roast today with a inglehoffer dijon mustard, rosemary, and thyme crust. It took about three hours to do right. Oh, man! That's good merde.
                "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

Originally posted by Shaka View Post
                  Before:

After:

Cooked the small one to 155 F and the large to 150F.

Taste tests coming.
                  Does smoking vs grilling make a difference with regard to temperature? You guys are talking about 150-170 degrees. I pull my tri-tips off the grill at 135.
                  This is beef we're talking about here and not chicken, right?
                  "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

Comment

Shaka, are you slamming that Tri tip solo are you hosting some senoritas tonight? Shame to not share the feast!

Where do people buy their Tri tip? I assume The 'Co?
                    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                      Shaka, are you slamming that Tri tip solo are you hosting some senoritas tonight? Shame to not share the feast!

Sniders! They sell both a naked tri-tip and a santa maria rubbed version. I like theirs, but I prefer to buy mine plain and season with Spade-L ranch seasoning.

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post

I made dinner for the roommies. The meal was a rousing success! They loved the flavor of the meat.

KC I think the meat was a little overdone but it still tasted great. Next time I'll pull it out around 135 and let it equalize from there.

Triplet, I always get tri-tip from Costco. I have a rub recipe that is excellent for a regular grill. It would probably rock on the smoker as well. Let me know if you want it.

Comment

Sliced:

On the plate:

Comment

Looks great Shaka. Way to go.
                            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Thank you. It would seem that my first attempt at beef worked out.

I'm going to hold judgement until I've made it through the night without severe gastric distress.

Comment

you can see the smoke ring. the legend of Shaka is growing.

Is that tri tip a smaller, thinner cut? i wish I had tri tip for dinner
                                Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X