Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Children's Books

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Public View Post
    My daughter just brought home the first MBS book. We're all in.
    My son is about half way through the first and he loves it. Great recommendation DDD.

Timely bump as I'm looking for more books for my oldest. She burns through books. We've bought her the Roald Dahl and Beverly Cleary sets from Costco. She's read them all. She's read all the Wimpy Kid and Dork Diaries books. She started Harry Potter, but it was too scary for her she said. I will check out MBS.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle

Any suggestions for my 11-year-old daughter? She's read all the Harry Potter series (more than once), is close to finishing the Wings of Fire series, read all the Dear Dumb Diary books (and various copycats she could find) and so on.

Would also like suggestions for my 14-year-old boy.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

his dark materials for the 14 year old
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Bump. My 10-year old son hit a lull in his reading this summer. He was reading Harry Potter 5 and just couldn’t get into it. It was causing him to not want to read at all. He basically spent the whole summer toting it around and hadn’t even made it halfway through. I can’t blame him—that book is a sloooow burn, as anyone who has read the series can attest. (And perhaps I was especially sympathetic to his plight, as I had done the same thing with that stupid book Lincoln in the Bardo for a month this summer.

As I talked to him about it, I got the distinct impression that fantasy literature just isn’t his bag right now. I thought back on what I loved to read in 4th grade and remembered The Storm Testament series. Relatively well-written and pretty much the opposite of fantasy. I ordered them all on Amazon for about $5 each and we began reading the first one together a couple weeks back. He is loving it. Every night he asks me to come up and read, and begs me not to stop after one chapter.

I told him we have to read the first one together, and after that he can read the rest on his own. He is champing at the bit to get through the last few chapters of this one so he can tear into the next one.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Froodle by Antoinette Portis. Had a lot of fun with this book with our 3-year-old grandson this past summer.

IMG_5409.JPG
    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
    Bump. My 10-year old son hit a lull in his reading this summer. He was reading Harry Potter 5 and just couldn’t get into it. It was causing him to not want to read at all. He basically spent the whole summer toting it around and hadn’t even made it halfway through. I can’t blame him—that book is a sloooow burn, as anyone who has read the series can attest. (And perhaps I was especially sympathetic to his plight, as I had done the same thing with that stupid book Lincoln in the Bardo for a month this summer.

As I talked to him about it, I got the distinct impression that fantasy literature just isn’t his bag right now. I thought back on what I loved to read in 4th grade and remembered The Storm Testament series. Relatively well-written and pretty much the opposite of fantasy. I ordered them all on Amazon for about $5 each and we began reading the first one together a couple weeks back. He is loving it. Every night he asks me to come up and read, and begs me not to stop after one chapter.

I told him we have to read the first one together, and after that he can read the rest on his own. He is champing at the bit to get through the last few chapters of this one so he can tear into the next one.
    Preach! Lincoln in the bardo was terrible.

My kids have loved The Mysterious Benedict Society and also the Tunnels franchise.

My 11-year-old daughter reads a lot. Though she could read it herself just fine, I've been reading the series Alcatraz vs. The Evil Librarians to her. My 10-year-old has started listening in, too. They both enjoy it. Sometimes my 15-year-old will even listen in.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

I'm glad this thread was bumped. It will give me some good ideas for my son. However, I don't trust any recommendations made by kccougar and will immediately disregard each and every one of his recommendations. SJBH.
    As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
    --Kendrick Lamar

I had to chuckle to myself as I read this thread through last night. kc starts the thread by posting about the Mysterious Benedict Society. Very first post in the thread. Several years later, TripleDad quotes KC and posts about how his kids are reading and enjoying the MBS books. People promptly start reading them and thanking TripleDad for the recommendation. Classic CS/CUF.

Also, RIP TripleDad.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Quote Originally Posted by Pelado View Post
    Any suggestions for my 11-year-old daughter? She's read all the Harry Potter series (more than once), is close to finishing the Wings of Fire series, read all the Dear Dumb Diary books (and various copycats she could find) and so on.

Would also like suggestions for my 14-year-old boy.
    My 11-year-old daughter reads a lot. Though she could read it herself just fine, I've been reading the series Alcatraz vs. The Evil Librarians to her. My 10-year-old has started listening in, too. They both enjoy it. Sometimes my 15-year-old will even listen in.
    Looking for more suggestions for my now-12-year-old daughter. She's pretty distraught that the public library is closed through the end of the month. She's already read MBS - said it rated about #25 out of the estimated 300 she's read. Her favorite series is Wings of Fire.
    - Goatnapper'96

Looking for more suggestions for my now-12-year-old daughter. She's pretty distraught that the public library is closed through the end of the month. She's already read MBS - said it rated about #25 out of the estimated 300 she's read. Her favorite series is Wings of Fire.
    My 12-year-old daughter that really liked Wings of Fire also really liked the Warriors books. They're about a bunch of anthropomorphic cats that fight (I think). There's a ton of them, so if she likes the series, it'll keep her busy for a while.
    "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
    "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
    This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
    "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
    "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

My now 13 year old loved the Red Queen series. Read them twice.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Student View Post
    My 12-year-old daughter that really liked Wings of Fire also really liked the Warriors books. They're about a bunch of anthropomorphic cats that fight (I think). There's a ton of them, so if she likes the series, it'll keep her busy for a while.
    I think my 15-year-old used to read those.
    - Goatnapper'96

My 11 yo is enjoying The Reckoners series.

Scary stories for young foxes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dyslexics are teople poo...

Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
    I had to chuckle to myself as I read this thread through last night. kc starts the thread by posting about the Mysterious Benedict Society. Very first post in the thread. Several years later, TripleDad quotes KC and posts about how his kids are reading and enjoying the MBS books. People promptly start reading them and thanking TripleDad for the recommendation. Classic CS/CUF.

Also, RIP TripleDad.
    I bought the series a few years ago, probably because of Triplet's post(s) (sorry, kc). My now 12-year-old read them back then, and just started re-reading them a few days ago. She liked them the first time around but thinks they're even better now.

Thanks Triplet kc!
    - Goatnapper'96