Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by nikuman View Post
    Up is my favorite Pixar ever. I say this every year, but Up is one of the best movies about dealing with grief and the baggage that comes along with it that I've ever seen.
    Knowing your feelings about "Finding Nemo", this statement means a lot.
    "I don't know the origin of said bitch booming."-Art Vandelay
    "Hot Lunch posted awhile back on this. He knows more than anyone except for maybe BO."-Seattle Ute

Comment

• Originally posted by Space Ghost
      Like Finding Nemo, the film felt emotionally flat and didn't have that one poignant moment that really tied it all together.... Up can't even hold a candle to Pixar's best, namely The Incredibles and Monsters, Inc.
      You are a crazy person. Finding Nemo felt falsely emotional? A father searching his entire world for his son is falsely emotional, but rockets flying at super hero woman in a high tech plane hit home with you? How odd.
      Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Space Ghost

Is it really so hard to figure out why that one hits home and the other one (a grumpy Dad searching for his bratty son) doesn't?

cheers.
        You'd be grumpy too if a barracuda devoured nearly your entire family and maimed you only remaining son!

And he's not grumpy, just over-protective.
        What's to explain? It's a bunch of people, most of whom you've never met, who are just as likely to be homicidal maniacs as they are to be normal everyday people, with whom you share the minutiae of your everyday life. It's totally normal, and everyone would understand.
        -Teenage Dirtbag

Comment

• Originally posted by BoylenOver View Post
          Knowing your feelings about "Finding Nemo", this statement means a lot.
          I classify Up in the same vein as Finding Nemo (which I am just able to watch again). Both are movies that are very near to my heart, but which I do not care to see on a very frequent basis because of the emotions they stir up.
          Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

• [QUOTE=Space Ghost;225271]If you want to see a good father/son movie, then go rent Big Fish... the schmaltzy Nemo is not that flick.

I gave my Father a big hug after that Movie and made him watch it with me..

One of the most powerful father and Son movies I have ever seen. Close to the Field of Dreams and having a catch with his father scene..

I LOVE this movie.. Tim Burton is one weird dude but every now and then he hits one way out of the park. Big Fish is that movie.. This one is my fav. Burton Movie...

If you have not seen this movie. RENT IT!! Do it this weekend.. Your family will enjoy it...
            Last edited by dabrockster; 11-25-2009, 07:06 AM.

Comment

• I haven't seen Up yet. I need to.

But I will always love Monster's, Inc. and Finding Nemo for sentimental reasons.
              "Nobody listens to Turtle."
              -Turtle
              sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by nikuman View Post
                Up is my favorite Pixar ever. I say this every year, but Up is one of the best movies about dealing with grief and the baggage that comes along with it that I've ever seen.
                I love the framework of the story, but the actual plot itself, with the talking dogs and the crazy old lost explorer and everything, for me distracted from the poignancy of the two character-driven storylines.

Comment

• Originally posted by Babs View Post
                  I love the framework of the story, but the actual plot itself, with the talking dogs and the crazy old lost explorer and everything, for me distracted from the poignancy of the two character-driven storylines.
                  The first 30 minutes of the movie, I was head over heels. The film had me wrapped around its finger. But like you said, those talking dogs (especially the one with the malfunctioning modulator) snapped me out of it.

The crazy lost explorer didn't bother me as much, but I agree, the movie is a solid A even with that stuff.
                  "I don't know the origin of said bitch booming."-Art Vandelay
                  "Hot Lunch posted awhile back on this. He knows more than anyone except for maybe BO."-Seattle Ute

Comment

• Originally posted by BoylenOver View Post
                    (especially the one with the malfunctioning modulator)
                    totally! My kids thought it was hilarious, though. I guess it's funny if you're eight? ah, well. I suppose it is, technically, supposed to be a kids' film.

Comment

It didn't really for me - sure, there was a saturday morning cartoon wackiness around the plot, but I grew up with that sort of stuff.
                      Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

totally! My kids thought it was hilarious, though. I guess it's funny if you're eight? ah, well. I suppose it is, technically, supposed to be a kids' film.
                        I know lots of people's kids love the "Squirrel" thing.

Whenever I ask my kids something they say "Point" and stick their nose out towards something like the dogs did.

The dogs and their voices definitely appealed to young kids.

Comment

• Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                          Screens well as the Cannes opener yesterday. My kids are very excited to see this. I have enjoyed every Pixar movie to date, so I am also looking forward to it. The digital 3D aspect should be cool. I have been pretty impressed with the recent digital 3D efforts (monsters and aliens, Bolt)
                          Can someone check in with Triplet and get an update on his current impressions of 3D movies. TYIA.
                          You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
                          Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
                          You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

Working...
                          X