Indexing....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SCcoug View Post
    I did that once in a boring SS class a while back.

A large busy temple (like Provo) will have sessions every 20 minutes. Looking at the Provo schedule it looks like there are ~212 session per week. Lets say there are 30 temples who can operate with that type of schedule.

A small temple (like Columbia, SC) will have 16 or so sessions per week. Lets round that up to 20 sessions per week. That leaves 114 temples with 20 sessions per week.

Adding up the number of sessions brings us to 8640 sessions per week. I'll round it up to 9K.

Let's assume that each session has 50 people in them. That means in a week there are 450K ordinances performed.

There are ~1.1M deaths per week. So each week we're falling behind by ~650K people.
    You aren't factoring in church growth (living) into your equation.
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

Comment

Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
      You aren't factoring in church growth (living) into your equation.
      True. The analysis is only a snapshot in time.

Comment

You guys are thinking too linearly. Clack, care to enlighten us how multiple dimensions solve the temple ordinance problem?
        "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
        "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
        - SeattleUte

Comment

Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
          You guys are thinking too linearly. Clack, care to enlighten us how multiple dimensions solve the temple ordinance problem?
          I'd think it would be a pretty easy administrative fix.

Comment

Originally posted by SCcoug View Post
            I did that once in a boring SS class a while back.

A large busy temple (like Provo) will have sessions every 20 minutes. Looking at the Provo schedule it looks like there are ~212 session per week. Lets say there are 30 temples who can operate with that type of schedule.

A small temple (like Columbia, SC) will have 16 or so sessions per week. Lets round that up to 20 sessions per week. That leaves 114 temples with 20 sessions per week.

Adding up the number of sessions brings us to 8640 sessions per week. I'll round it up to 9K.

Let's assume that each session has 50 people in them. That means in a week there are 450K ordinances performed.

There are ~1.1M deaths per week. So each week we're falling behind by ~650K people.
            I thought after Rmoney ran for president the last time we stopped baptizing the Jews...

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/stephen-c...ns-to-judaism/

And if he runs again then maybe they will add a bunch more religions to the "do-not-baptize list" as well. Did you factor all that in?
            "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
            "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
            "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
              Dang... my call to greatness came and I was busy living. I'll give this a shot. No need to go into multiple dimensions as I can handle this conundrum with current understandings of the future Millenium.

Temple ordinances for the dead are a rouse. They're an exercise for us to be measured. It seems that much of the Church is a snipe hunt with us running the gauntlet of good versus evil. In my mind temple work for the dead is akin to polygamy. It's a good way to spend a Friday night, but outside of your own endowment, it's not essential. Genealogy could be important, but I imagine that our Windows 8 is no match for the Kolob 24 when keeping statistical information on the manifest of Earthly inhabitants.

We are told the preeminent work of the Millenium will be temple oriented. It will be a great double entry on the books to make sure everything is balanced before the Great and Final Judgment is meted out to the participants on this particular go-round. (Go round meaning participants of the Council in Heaven who voted on a Savior, and our opportunity to progress from Spirit to Body to Glorified Bodies.)

Doing temple work for the whole existence of mankind will only take <10 years of 1 endowment per day per individual. Let's look at the numbers. Let's say that 20 million people are going to do the temple work for 20 billion people.

20 million per day.
              200 million per 10 days.
              2 billion per 100 days.
              20 billion per 1000 days.

If 20 million people did 1 session of temple work per day for 1,000 years that would be 7.3 trillion sessions.

The whole thing can be done very quickly especially with improved communications and better equipment. With so much time to spare, it will be easy to take a few hundred years to build the Millennial Utopia infrastructure we need to perform the ordinances. I think if you enjoy the moment you're in right now, you're going to really love the Millenium. There will be some really good times ahead for those who stood true and faithful to the covenants they made. All the non-resurrected people are going to have to be holed up in que waiting for their work to get done and for the Millenium to end so that they can get their new immortal body. What a great day that will be!
              Last edited by clackamascoug; 01-20-2015, 06:18 PM.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
              -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

tl;dr
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                  tl;dr
                  When Jesus comes back everyone has to go to the temple daily.
                  Get confident, stupid
                  -landpoke

Comment

That was a great clack post.

Our youth in the stake had a challenge over the summer to index 100,000 in total. They made it mostly due to one kid that did over 20,000 names by himself. Not really the way I'd want to spend my summer but whatever.
                    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
                      Dang... my call to greatness came and I was busy living. I'll give this a shot. No need to go into multiple dimensions as I can handle this conundrum with current understandings of the future Millenium.

Temple ordinances for the dead are a rouse. They're an exercise for us to be measured. It seems that much of the Church is a snipe hunt with us running the gauntlet of good versus evil. In my mind temple work for the dead is akin to polygamy. It's a good way to spend a Friday night, but outside of your own endowment, it's not essential. Genealogy could be important, but I imagine that our Windows 8 is no match for the Kolob 24 when keeping statistical information on the manifest of Earthly inhabitants.

We are told the preeminent work of the Millenium will be temple oriented. It will be a great double entry on the books to make sure everything is balanced before the Great and Final Judgment is meted out to the participants on this particular go-round. (Go round meaning participants of the Council in Heaven who voted on a Savior, and our opportunity to progress from Spirit to Body to Glorified Bodies.)

Doing temple work for the whole existence of mankind will only take <10 years of 1 endowment per day per individual. Let's look at the numbers. Let's say that 20 million people are going to do the temple work for 20 billion people.

20 million per day.
                      200 million per 10 days.
                      2 billion per 100 days.

If 20 million people did 1 session of temple work per day for 1,000 years that would be 7.3 trillion sessions.

The whole thing can be done very quickly especially with improved communications and better equipment. With so much time to spare, it will be easy to take a few hundred years to build the Millennial Utopia infrastructure we need to perform the ordinances. I think if you enjoy the moment you're in right now, you're going to really love the Millenium. There will be some really good times ahead for those who stood true and faithful to the covenants they made. All the non-resurrected people are going to have to be holed up in que waiting for their work to get done and for the Millenium to end so that they can get their new immortal body. What a great day that will be!
                      With all that time in the millennium, I look forward to watching BYU play some good football. We should get the best recruits. I wonder who they'll play?

Comment

Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
                        With all that time in the millennium, I look forward to watching BYU play some good football. We should get the best recruits. I wonder who they'll play?
                        USC. Opposition in all things...
                        "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

"Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

Comment

Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post

20 million per day.
                          200 million per 10 days.
                          2 billion per 100 days.

THIS is why I'm back.

Thanks, Clack. Don't let the bastards get you down.
                          Nothing lasts, but nothing is lost.
                          --William Blake, via Shpongle

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                            tl;dr
                            That was mean. How much nicer would it have been to just say you read it in at least one other dimension?

Comment

Originally posted by Harry Tic View Post
                              THIS is why I'm back.

Thanks, Clack. Don't let the bastards get you down.

Clack, you didn't disappoint. Although I was hoping for an extra dimension or two.
                              "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                              "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                              - SeattleUte

Comment

Originally posted by mtnbiker View Post
                                That was mean. How much nicer would it have been to just say you read it in at least one other dimension?
                                OK, I skimmed it. I think Clack forgot to take something into account. It is a well-known LDS doctrine that those who died before the age of accountability are automatically saved and they will be given a chance during the millennium to get married and have kids of their own. Presumably, the kids born to those people will be able to have kids, and their kids will have kids, etc. So let's assume that there are maybe one billion people during the history of the earth that died before turning eight years old (I think that is grossly conservative, btw - true number is surely much higher). Next, let's assume that they pair up and have two kids every twenty years (this is probably also conservative - why not crank one out every year?). Then let's assume that those kids have kids every twenty years, then their kids have kids in twenty years and so on. So the population would double every 20 years, resulting in about a 4% growth rate per year. Starting with 1B and growing at this rate, this is how many people we have on earth at the end of the millennium:

I believe that would be called 108 septillion. Just for a sense of scale, there are 147.8 trillion square meters of dry land on the earth. If you divide that into the number shown above, this is how many people you would have per square meter:

730 trillion! That's pretty darn crowded. If we complained loudly enough, maybe Jesus would build us some more worlds so that we can spread out. I think we need at least 1/4 acre per family of four. That is about 250 square meters per person. At this rate we would have:

humans per world. Dividing that into the number above, we would need a total of

worlds to house everyone. AND THAT DOESN'T EVEN COUNT THE REST OF US WHO DIDN'T DIE IN INFANCY.

Sheesh, that is a lot of people.
                                Last edited by Jeff Lebowski; 01-20-2015, 08:24 PM.
                                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Working...
                                X