Indexing....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    OK, I skimmed it. I think Clack forgot to take something into account. It is a well-known LDS doctrine that those who died before the age of accountability are automatically saved and they will be given a chance during the millennium to get married and have kids of their own. Presumably, the kids born to those people will be able to have kids, and their kids will have kids, etc. So let's assume that there are maybe one billion people during the history of the earth that died before turning eight years old (I think that is grossly conservative, btw - true number is surely much higher). Next, let's assume that they pair up and have two kids every twenty years (this is probably also conservative - why not crank one out every year?). Then let's assume that those kids have kids every twenty years, then their kids have kids in twenty years and so on. So the population would double every 20 years, resulting in about a 4% growth rate per year. Starting with 1B and growing at this rate, this is how many people we have on earth at the end of the millennium:

I believe that would be called 108 septillion. Just for a sense of scale, there are 147.8 trillion square meters of dry land on the earth. If you divide that into the number shown above, this is how many people you would have per square meter:

730 trillion! That's pretty darn crowded. If we complained loudly enough, maybe Jesus would build us some more worlds so that we can spread out. I think we need at least 1/4 acre per family of four. That is about 250 square meters per person. At this rate we would have:

humans per world. Dividing that into the number above, we would need a total of

worlds to house everyone. AND THAT DOESN'T EVEN COUNT THE REST OF US WHO DIDN'T DIE IN INFANCY.

Sheesh, that is a lot of people.
    Pretty sure this is where the other dimensions come in handy...

Comment

Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
      Pretty sure this is where the other dimensions come in handy...
      Ha. No way. Adding other dimensions makes the whole thing explode. Multiply all those numbers by infinity.
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Ha. No way. Adding other dimensions makes the whole thing explode. Multiply all those numbers by infinity.
        But what if no one in other those other dimensions died before 8? Or what if Jesus just said, screw it, those people aren't going to get to get married and have kids. You can't assume the same rules apply across all dimensions, dude!
        Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

I'm waiting for Clack to weigh in and settle things.

Comment

OK, I skimmed it. I think Clack forgot to take something into account. It is a well-known LDS doctrine that those who died before the age of accountability are automatically saved and they will be given a chance during the millennium to get married and have kids of their own. Presumably, the kids born to those people will be able to have kids, and their kids will have kids, etc. So let's assume that there are maybe one billion people during the history of the earth that died before turning eight years old (I think that is grossly conservative, btw - true number is surely much higher). Next, let's assume that they pair up and have two kids every twenty years (this is probably also conservative - why not crank one out every year?). Then let's assume that those kids have kids every twenty years, then their kids have kids in twenty years and so on. So the population would double every 20 years, resulting in about a 4% growth rate per year. Starting with 1B and growing at this rate, this is how many people we have on earth at the end of the millennium:

I believe that would be called 108 septillion. Just for a sense of scale, there are 147.8 trillion square meters of dry land on the earth. If you divide that into the number shown above, this is how many people you would have per square meter:

730 trillion! That's pretty darn crowded. If we complained loudly enough, maybe Jesus would build us some more worlds so that we can spread out. I think we need at least 1/4 acre per family of four. That is about 250 square meters per person. At this rate we would have:

humans per world. Dividing that into the number above, we would need a total of

worlds to house everyone. AND THAT DOESN'T EVEN COUNT THE REST OF US WHO DIDN'T DIE IN INFANCY.

Sheesh, that is a lot of people.
            I can't win for losing. JL is a better Clack than I am.

damn him to hell

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
            -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
              I can't win for losing. JL is a better Clack than I am.

damn him to hell
              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

I just got an email from someone in the stake telling us of a 750k name indexing goal for this year. Apparently, that translates to a 64k name goal for our ward. The HPGL in our ward asked during priesthood opening exercises who would help. Not many hands went up. He tried guilting us into it, but my hand, as well as most others, stayed down. After perusing this thread, I found that I agree with both Moliere and smr:

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                I'm still not a fan of indexing. I guess it stems from my disinterest in genealogy.
                Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                Same. But I think it stems from my disinterest in doing boring stuff.
                "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                  I just got an email from someone in the stake telling us of a 750k name indexing goal for this year. Apparently, that translates to a 64k name goal for our ward. The HPGL in our ward asked during priesthood opening exercises who would help. Not many hands went up. He tried guilting us into it, but my hand, as well as most others, stayed down. After perusing this thread, I found that I agree with both Moliere and smr:

I’m still not a fan. Thankfully my current stake leaders don’t seem to care much about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

This is a program that I just saw again recently. Thought some might find it fascinating. Lot's of references to the Church ...

Data Mining the Deceased:

https://tvo.org/video/documentaries/...g-the-deceased

Comment

Working...
                    X