3-2-1 method for smoked ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks great!
    "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

Comment

So a little over 4 hrs total cook time? Those look amazing.
      Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Those look great, JL. I'm going to have to give your method a try next weekend.
        A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

Wow! I am pushing for my mom to get my dad a Traeger for Christmas. If she pulls the trigger, I will be putting your method to test. Looks amazing.
          I'm your huckleberry.

"I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

Comment

After my bout with salmonella stemming from my smoked turkey on TG day, I had lost all enthusiasm for cooking in my new Traeger. In fact I contemplated offering to sell it to Triplet for a song.

You have just renewed my enthusiasm. I'm going to try this next weekend. Any advice on where to get the ribs or do the standard offerings at Smiths work?

Comment

Originally posted by Shaka View Post
              After my bout with salmonella stemming from my smoked turkey on TG day, I had lost all enthusiasm for cooking in my new Traeger. In fact I contemplated offering to sell it to Triplet for a song.

You have just renewed my enthusiasm. I'm going to try this next weekend. Any advice on where to get the ribs or do the standard offerings at Smiths work?
              Shaka, don't be too hasty. You could very well get sick again. Think this over!

Are you serious, did you really get sick? That is terrible news. I thought you used a meat therm, no? Very strange. Did anyone else get sick? Maybe it wasn't the meat.
              Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Hang in there, Shaka! There is a bit of a learning curve, but you will get it. Turkey is challenging. Ribs, chicken, pulled pork, and salmon are easy. I also like to do chuck roast (super easy).

I always buy my ribs at Costco. Baby back. You can buy in packages of two or three racks per package. Try to find a package where the racks are meaty and uniform. if you have a thick one and a thin one, the thin one will get overcooked.

Let me know if you are in the UC anytime soon and I can give you some sauce to try.
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

I spot some Cowtown sauce in your first set of pics. :clap:
                  "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

Comment

Originally posted by kccougar View Post
                    I spot some Cowtown sauce in your first set of pics. :clap:
                    Yep.
                    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

This is an interesting thread. I've always done the slow-cook and grill method for ribs, but the foil would seem to have the same effect as slow-cooking. I've wondered though, is the foil/slow-cook even necessary? IOW, could you effect the same taste/tenderness by smoking and then slathering in sauce periodically while keeping them at 150-180 for a few hours? I've had some limited success doing this (ie, snack meat), but never dared do it on a large scale.
                      sigpic
                      "Outlined against a blue, gray
                      October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
                      Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                        Shaka, don't be too hasty. You could very well get sick again. Think this over!

Are you serious, did you really get sick? That is terrible news. I thought you used a meat therm, no? Very strange. Did anyone else get sick? Maybe it wasn't the meat.
                        Initially I was slated to go to Vegas for Thanksgiving but decided I needed to be productive working on my house. I had invitations to TG dinner but decided to go it alone this year and become one with the Traeger. This is the reason no one else got sick.

I used the thermometer and the white meat came out fine. I'm pretty sure it was the dark meat that did me in. The turkey had a very nice flavor although I think the AB brine combined with the smoking may have been a little overwhelming on the flavor side.

If I get sick again I may just give you the darn thing. Keep cheering for my demise!

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                          Hang in there, Shaka! There is a bit of a learning curve, but you will get it. Turkey is challenging. Ribs, chicken, pulled pork, and salmon are easy. I also like to do chuck roast (super easy).

I always buy my ribs at Costco. Baby back. You can buy in packages of two or three racks per package. Try to find a package where the racks are meaty and uniform. if you have a thick one and a thin one, the thin one will get overcooked.

Let me know if you are in the UC anytime soon and I can give you some sauce to try.
                          I'm actually looking forward to doing some beef as under-cooking it probably will not kill me.

I bought the rib rack thingy for the Traeger. Smoking some pork ribs will give me a reason to try it out.

Comment

I'm actually looking forward to doing some beef as under-cooking it probably will not kill me.

I bought the rib rack thingy for the Traeger. Smoking some pork ribs will give me a reason to try it out.
                            I don't use a rib rack unless I am doing more than three racks.

Comment

I need to stop looking at these pictures when I don't have the equipment to make these delicious foods. I need to buy a smoker. And a grill. And I need a decent patio or deck that isn't falling apart for them. Here's hoping for a good bonus this year.
                              Not that, sickos.

Comment

I used the thermometer and the white meat came out fine. I'm pretty sure it was the dark meat that did me in.
                                I'm no turkey expert, but apparently the dark meat needs to be cooked to about 20 degrees hotter than the white meat.
                                Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Working...
                                X