No announcement yet.

3-2-1 method for smoked ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cooked 4 racks of baby backs for the fourth on the Yoder. Used JL's method. I don't know how they could have been any better. This will be my go to method for ribs.

Pellets: Camp Chef Competition Blend (Hickory, Maple and Cherry)
    Rub: Spade L Ranch Pork Chop and Rib
    Sauce: Some Racks Sweet Baby Rays, Some Racks Sweet Baby Rays Sweet and Spicy (these went the fastest)
    One of the grandest benefits of the enlightenment was the realization that our moral sense must be based on the welfare of living individuals, not on their immortal souls. Honest and passionate folks can strongly disagree regarding spiritual matters, so it's imperative that we not allow such considerations to infringe on the real happiness of real people.

Woot

I believe religion has much inherent good and has born many good fruits.
    SU

Comment

• Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
      I know that ribs are best straight off the smoker, but is there a solid way to hold them for a few hours?
      I've FTC'd mine for up to 2 hours before and they have still been well received.
      Get confident, stupid
      -landpoke

Comment

• Wow, it's been a year since anyone posted in this thread?

My wife's dad is coming to town today so I guess it's time for some ribs.
        "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
        - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
          Wow, it's been a year since anyone posted in this thread?

My wife's dad is coming to town today so I guess it's time for some ribs.
          I still love ribs! My favorite BBQ dish.
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• They didn't turn out that great. I was starting from frozen and the exterior ended up getting too dry while the interior was not quite tender enough. Oh well.
            "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
            - Goatnapper'96

Comment

They didn't turn out that great. I was starting from frozen and the exterior ended up getting too dry while the interior was not quite tender enough. Oh well.
              Yeah, being frozen would change everything.
              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

• My daughter was begging for ribs while we were in the meat section of Costco yesterday, and I caved. So now I need to do a refresher on this thread.
                - Goatnapper'96

Comment

My daughter was begging for ribs while we were in the meat section of Costco yesterday, and I caved. So now I need to do a refresher on this thread.
                  Refresher 1: Thaw ribs before doing anything else.
                  Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

My daughter was begging for ribs while we were in the meat section of Costco yesterday, and I caved. So now I need to do a refresher on this thread.
                    It's easy easy. I like to cheat by buying the ribs from Costco already seasoned.

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                      Refresher 1: Thaw ribs before doing anything else.
                      Thanks for the reminder. Having planned to cook them today, I kept them in the refrigerator after the purchase yesterday, so I hope they didn't get too frozen.
                      Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
                      It's easy easy. I like to cheat by buying the ribs from Costco already seasoned.
                      While I did purchase the ribs from Costco, I didn't cheat that much. I just did a simple rub with a few ingredients already in the cupboard.

I'm not doing 3-2-1, though. No heavy duty foil in the house and I'm feeling lazy. I've had them on the smoker at 225 for nearly 5 hours.
                      - Goatnapper'96

Comment

I'm not doing 3-2-1, though. No heavy duty foil in the house and I'm feeling lazy. I've had them on the smoker at 225 for nearly 5 hours.
                        Lol. Im glad you keep coming back to this thread to remember how you’re not going to cook your ribs.
                        Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                          Lol. Im glad you keep coming back to this thread to remember how you’re not going to cook your ribs.
                          It's a fun thread to read. One of these days I might just get it right. Not today, though.
                          - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Nothing wrong with skipping 3-2-1. I think it dilutes the smokey flavor of the meat (sometimes significantly), and although I still wrap, it's more like 3-.75-till they're done.
                            Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

• After the pulled pork failure on my maiden voyage, I gave baby back ribs a try and this time I followed the Dude's instructions assiduously. We got the 3-rack from Sam's Club. The first two I removed the membrane from and then on the 3rd one it appeared to have already been removed. Try as I might, I didn't see any membrane on that thing. Is that common for some to have the membrane gone and some not?

I used the Dude's general purpose rub again because we still have some left from last time we made, and we we like it. But this time I was smarter and applied the rub liberally but not totally caking it on.

rubbed_ribs.jpg

I also made DT's beans. Here are the ribs and the beans on the Traeger at 180*.

beans_and_ribs.jpg

Everything went great up until I pulled off the foiled racks. The first two racks looked awesome. When I opened the foil on the third, something had gone terribly wrong. The rack was totally burnt on the bottom (but they were bone side down which is good) and the juice had all evaporated. The meat was already starting to fall off the bone. I think the problem was that I pushed the bad back too far to the edge of the grill, blocking the heat coming up in the back. As soon as I removed the foiled rack, the temperature in the grill shot up to 350 so I think having the foiled rack of ribs blocking the heat flow in the back of the grill was definitely my problem. Live and learn.

Here they are in the sauce on the grill phase. The burnt one is in the front this time and you can see that it's falling apart and it's burnt on the bottom.

overdone.jpg

We made the beans with the Jalapeno Ranch-style beans, which worked out really well - it added a nice little kick. Next time I do them I'm definitely going to foil them in the oven phase so they don't thicken up quite so much, but they tasted great.

beans.jpg

The other two racks were pretty near perfect. 6 of us polished off the two racks. I did my best to salvage the unburnt part of the burnt rack for quesadilla meat.

cutribs.jpg

EDIT: VBulletin can be so lame sometimes. Most every image display software on the planet is smart enough to see that the height is greater than the width and rotate the image accordingly, but not VBulletin. When you read the vBulletin forums and bug reports, the developers staunchly defend that it's "not a bug" even though everyone in the world wants it to be smarter about how it displays images. Although the developers may be technically correct, this behavior is what my dev team refers to as "WAPD" - Working as Poorly Designed.
                              Last edited by BigFatMeanie; 12-28-2019, 04:29 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
                                After the pulled pork failure on my maiden voyage, I gave baby back ribs a try and this time I followed the Dude's instructions assiduously. We got the 3-rack from Sam's Club. The first two I removed the membrane from and then on the 3rd one it appeared to have already been removed. Try as I might, I didn't see any membrane on that thing. Is that common for some to have the membrane gone and some not?

I used the Dude's general purpose rub again because we still have some left from last time we made, and we we like it. But this time I was smarter and applied the rub liberally but not totally caking it on.

[ATTACH]9902[/ATTACH]

I also made DT's beans. Here are the ribs and the beans on the Traeger at 180*.

[ATTACH]9903[/ATTACH]

Everything went great up until I pulled off the foiled racks. The first two racks looked awesome. When I opened the foil on the third, something had gone terribly wrong. The rack was totally burnt on the bottom (but they were bone side down which is good) and the juice had all evaporated. The meat was already starting to fall off the bone. I think the problem was that I pushed the bad back too far to the edge of the grill, blocking the heat coming up in the back. As soon as I removed the foiled rack, the temperature in the grill shot up to 350 so I think having the foiled rack of ribs blocking the heat flow in the back of the grill was definitely my problem. Live and learn.

Here they are in the sauce on the grill phase. The burnt one is in the front this time and you can see that it's falling apart and it's burnt on the bottom.

[ATTACH]9904[/ATTACH]

We made the beans with the Jalapeno Ranch-style beans, which worked out really well - it added a nice little kick. Next time I do them I'm definitely going to foil them in the oven phase so they don't thicken up quite so much, but they tasted great.

[ATTACH]9905[/ATTACH]

The other two racks were pretty near perfect. 6 of us polished off the two racks. I did my best to salvage the unburnt part of the burnt rack for quesadilla meat.

[ATTACH]9906[/ATTACH]

EDIT: VBulletin can be so lame sometimes. Most every image display software on the planet is smart enough to see that the height is greater than the width and rotate the image accordingly, but not VBulletin. When you read the vBulletin forums and bug reports, the developers staunchly defend that it's "not a bug" even though everyone in the world wants it to be smarter about how it displays images. Although the developers may be technically correct, this behavior is what my dev team refers to as "WAPD" - Working as Poorly Designed.
                                That is really common. I rotate my foiled ribs periodically to avoid burning the one on the back edge. Sorry if that wasn’t included in the instructions.

Comment

Working...
                                X