• Show
Clear All

Michelin.

Oh way, sorry, wrong thread.

Comment

Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
      Michelin.

Oh way, sorry, wrong thread.
      Actually that fits quite nicely as I have used michelins before. Don't think I have them on right now, but I will have to check.

Comment

Vittoria Diamonte Pro II -

Well, the set of Diamonte Pro II's didn't really make it one year. And this past year was my worst cycling year (mileage wise) in probably 5-6 years. They are super soft and grippy....but within the first month, my rear tire had like a de-lam with the rubber, and I was missing a 'chunk' of rubber.

Returned it, and they replaced it. About a month ago, I looked at my front tire, and I was missing some rubber just like the other tire (threads showing, etc)...and was very concerned about hitting a pebble/etc at 'just that point' and the tire would blow. Went to Canyon Cycles in Draper, and was speaking with them...they suggested the Continental Gator Hardshell tires. Soft enough, durable, and puncture resistant.

I was convinced, and replaced my Diamonte's with the Hardshells. So far...I love them. I really haven't been on my bike enough, to realize the grippy difference yet, and maybe I won't. I feel way more comfortable on them as I am more confident I'm not going to blow out a "race tire" as I'm not a racer.

For a short burn, I guess the Vittoria was good...but, I have learned a lesson in that for the roads I ride on, the style of rider I am...I need something way more bullet proof than a 'race tire'. I believe I'm going to be very happy with the Hardshells.
        "Newton's First Law of Motion: ...things at rest tend to stay at rest. Things in motion, tend to stay in motion...."

Hmm... Good motivation for me to remain active I guess.

Comment

I had the same problem with the only pair of Michelins that I've used. Great, soft feel on the road, but they were about as durable as wet paper. I got maybe 1,000 miles out of them at the most.

I've been on some Conti Gatorskins for the past year or more and love them. Very durable and a nice smooth ride with plenty of traction on the fast descents to make me feel comfortable enough to at least try to keep up with Bellavella.

Comment

What kind of mileage do you all expect? I've only got whatever came on the bike - specialized something or other - but I'm putting about 150 miles a week on it (will decrease over the next three and then go up over the summer).
            Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

Originally posted by nikuman View Post
              What kind of mileage do you all expect? I've only got whatever came on the bike - specialized something or other - but I'm putting about 150 miles a week on it (will decrease over the next three and then go up over the summer).
              Well hopefully over 1000 miles! It's easy to rack up 2000+ in a year. The Bontragger tires that came with my bike was bullet proof. Those babies lasted forever. Threw on some Vittorias....they blew up in one year, and less miles by FAR than the others.

The ones you're talking about...Specialized ...what? Armadillo's? If that's the case, they you should have plenty of wear on those, as those are the comprable ones to the Hardshells that I just bought.

I'm with Bluegoose...I'm sold on these Hardshells. Soft enough where they are 'grippy' enough to have confidence in turns. Got the bullet proof vest inside to add puncture resistance, and they give me confidence that I'm not going to get a flat at high speeds.

I hope to get a LEAST 2000 miles on my tires.
              "Newton's First Law of Motion: ...things at rest tend to stay at rest. Things in motion, tend to stay in motion...."

Hmm... Good motivation for me to remain active I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Borg View Post
                The ones you're talking about...Specialized ...what? Armadillo's? If that's the case, they you should have plenty of wear on those, as those are the comprable ones to the Hardshells that I just bought.
                As I mentioned in the weekend ride report thread, the tires that came with my bike (not Armadillos) lasted about 350 miles before they wore through in one place. My bike is more of an entry level bike so I'm not too surprised I had cheap ties. I went to the same shop I bought the bike and the only tire they had in my size was the armadillos. I bought two of them and replaced the tires. I meant to get out and ride this morning, but my legs weren't going to have it after my long run and the turkey bowl (also hanging lights on the house didn't help either).

I did learn how not to change a tire today. I went through 2 tubes before I finally decided to check YouTube on what I was doing wrong. Apparently you are not supposed to use the levers when you are putting the tire back on the wheel frame At least I know I can now do it without puncturing the tire. Here's a quick video I used:

http://www.livestrong.com/video/3814...oad-bike-tire/
                "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

My wife was having problems with flats, and following the board wisdom, we put Gatorskin on her bike and she hasn't had a flat in over 3,000 miles of riding. Since I'm her flat repair guy, how great has been my joy! They may not be for racers, but she hasn't noticed any performance difference within her riding group. I'm putting them on my wheels the next time I change tires.

Comment

The sidewall of my Bontrager Select B tire that came with my bike blew out this morning. I picked up some Continental GP4000s tires (700x25) to try. I hope to avoid the quality issues mentioned earlier in this thread.
                    "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

Originally posted by mtnbiker View Post
                      I saw a rave review on Continental Grand Prix 4000s tires a few months ago, so I got some when ProBikeKit had a great sale on them.
                      For today only, probikekit has a clincher sale with some good prices. For example, you can get four Conti GP4000S clinchers for $131.88 ($32.97 per tire). Standard shipping is free on orders over $40. That's a really good price.
                      "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

Originally posted by Borg View Post
                        Vittoria Diamonte Pro II -

Well, the set of Diamonte Pro II's didn't really make it one year.
                        I've burned through a set of these this year and won't go back. They feel alright and I had only had a flat or two with them but they wore out fast.

Nashbar had those same Continental Grand Prix 4000s for $35.00 the other day so I ordered two of them. Most all the reviews seem very positive so I'm excited to try them.

Comment

Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
                          I've burned through a set of these this year and won't go back. They feel alright and I had only had a flat or two with them but they wore out fast.

Nashbar had those same Continental Grand Prix 4000s for $35.00 the other day so I ordered two of them. Most all the reviews seem very positive so I'm excited to try them.
                          I've run Conti4000s tires all year. Love love love them. Durable (not as much as the gatorskins) and faster than anything else I've tried. Probably have something like 1500 miles on them now, still look pretty fresh, not one flat all season. Not one. Just bought a pair for my wife.
                          Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

Following our ride today, I took my bike in for a tune-up prior to next week's adventure. As part of the service, I was going to replace the Gatorskins that had a few thousand miles on them. But the shop owner, whom I trust, talked me into putting on some Hutchinson tubeless tires. I asked lots of questions concerning flats, performance, etc., and he was very convincing that I'll experience fewer flats (I've had maybe two in the past year) and better performance. I'll spare the details why, per the owner, tubeless are better, but I'm curious what the collective thinks. Did I just make a mistake? The slightly increased cost wasn't a factor; I just care about performance.

Comment

I've never used Hutchinson tubeless but I think their regular clinchers are grippy but wear fast. Esp compared to gatorskins.
                              PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                                Following our ride today, I took my bike in for a tune-up prior to next week's adventure. As part of the service, I was going to replace the Gatorskins that had a few thousand miles on them. But the shop owner, whom I trust, talked me into putting on some Hutchinson tubeless tires. I asked lots of questions concerning flats, performance, etc., and he was very convincing that I'll experience fewer flats (I've had maybe two in the past year) and better performance. I'll spare the details why, per the owner, tubeless are better, but I'm curious what the collective thinks. Did I just make a mistake? The slightly increased cost wasn't a factor; I just care about performance.
                                I've never tried tubeless, but the mechanic I use tried to sell me on them last year. He thought Hutchinson tubeless were the best. A friend of mine also swears by tubeless and tried to sell me on some Maxxis (Padrone?) tires. I had just bought a new set of clinchers, so that's the main reason I didn't buy any last year.

I'll be in the market for some new tires in the near future, so please be sure to post your experience with the tubeless. I'm a little more on the durability over performance/comfort side of the spectrum, though.
                                When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party. --Tuck Pendleton

Comment

Working...
                                X