Which road tires do you use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
    I've burned through a set of these this year and won't go back. They feel alright and I had only had a flat or two with them but they wore out fast.

Nashbar had those same Continental Grand Prix 4000s for $35.00 the other day so I ordered two of them. Most all the reviews seem very positive so I'm excited to try them.
    I finally put these on my bike last fall and they are still going strong. I'm still not seeing any wear on them after at least 3000 miles on them and had only one flat in the spring. Best tire I have ever used.

Comment

Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
      I finally put these on my bike last fall and they are still going strong. I'm still not seeing any wear on them after at least 3000 miles on them and had only one flat in the spring. Best tire I have ever used.
      I need to pick up some of those. Going into LOTOJA last year I replaced my threadbare tires with gatorskins, thinking the last thing I wanted on a long ride was flats. Ever since I get flats at about twice the rate I got them with the threadbare ones. Frustrating.

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie View Post
        I need to pick up some of those. Going into LOTOJA last year I replaced my threadbare tires with gatorskins, thinking the last thing I wanted on a long ride was flats. Ever since I get flats at about twice the rate I got them with the threadbare ones. Frustrating.
        I currently use gatorskins. They are fine and hold up better than anything I've had before. I have a friend that switched from 4000s to gatorskins since he was flatting so much.

So far I've destroyed two gatorskins tires. One when I got a nail through the tire, like a huge nail that ripped the tire open. And once when I got a big gash, probably from a sharp rock or other metal thing. Bottom line is that I hit a lot of stuff. A new highway is being built by my house so the first 5 miles of every ride is like riding through a minefield until I can get out onto the country roads.

Before switching to gatorskins, I was flatting at least once a month, and sometimes twice on one ride.
        "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

I'm still riding the second set of Conti 4000s that I mentioned at the beginning of this thread. Not the original pair, one of which got cut on the CUF Nebo ride, and the other which had a defect in the sidewall and which was replaced by Conti. Granted, I haven't done a lot of road riding the past year or so. I'm still mostly on the mountain bike.

Speaking of which, I had to get a new bike after the frame broke on my previous one. This one has tubeless tires, which makes for a little more carefree riding over rocky terrain. On Monday, with about 360 miles on the new tires, the front tire got a 3/4" slice in the sidewall and immediately went flat. I went to put a tube in it, but found that my tool kit and CO2 cartridges had escaped from my saddle bag. I ended up calling a friend in my group at work to pick me up.

Comment

I have Conti 4000S on my bike right now, but I seem to wear through them pretty quickly. I've been told that if you do a lot of climbing, your tires will wear faster. Add that to the fact that I'm too heavy and I don't think any tire would last all that long.

However, I just purchased a set of Vredestein Tricomps on sale. I've been told they're good tires, but I probably won't get around to mounting them until next year. I will return and report.
            When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party. --Tuck Pendleton

Comment

My commute to work is now 23 miles each way since I moved to Camp Williams. Right now I have 25's on my bike, but I'm probably going to go with a wider tire, at least 28, maybe even 32 for my rides throughout the winter months. Any recommendations on tires? The shop suggested I go with folding tires for my particular rims. He was suggesting Clement Strada tires. When I was shopping for a bike, I stopped in Mad Dog Cycles, and they were pushing Bontrager AW2 Hard-Case Lite Tires.

Comment

Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
                My commute to work is now 23 miles each way since I moved to Camp Williams. Right now I have 25's on my bike, but I'm probably going to go with a wider tire, at least 28, maybe even 32 for my rides throughout the winter months. Any recommendations on tires? The shop suggested I go with folding tires for my particular rims. He was suggesting Clement Strada tires. When I was shopping for a bike, I stopped in Mad Dog Cycles, and they were pushing Bontrager AW2 Hard-Case Lite Tires.
                I have no idea which tires people like in the winter, but was interested to know which shop you bought from. I know Mad Dog is a Trek shop, so naturally they're going to recommend Bontrager, which is a Trek subsidiary. I like Continental on my road bike, but generally have the bike on a trainer indoors during the winter.

Comment

Originally posted by mtnbiker View Post
                  I have no idea which tires people like in the winter, but was interested to know which shop you bought from. I know Mad Dog is a Trek shop, so naturally they're going to recommend Bontrager, which is a Trek subsidiary. I like Continental on my road bike, but generally have the bike on a trainer indoors during the winter.
                  I went to Canyon Bicycles up in Draper. The guy who sold me the bike was an Aussie.

The girl down at Mad Dog has used the AW2 Lites and likes them. She says she's been hit twice on her bike down at BYU. Reminds me--my physical therapist works at the corner of University PKWY and 800 East. I get a little sad every time I pass that intersection and see the white bike on the corner. I also get a little nervous every time I see the two white bikes at the intersection of 2100 N & Redwood where my daily commute will take me past every day.

Comment

Working...
                  X