Here are some basic basketball rules questions taken from an annual refresher exam administered to officials each year ... answers are TRUE or FALSE:
(There are 75 questions on the exam ... I won't tell you how many I answered incorrectly overall but, it was very few )
- A-1, while moving, catches the ball with his/her right foot on the floor. A-1 jumps and alights on both feet simultaneously. Prior to beginning a dribble, A-1 lifts the right foot off the floor and then releases the ball to start the dribble. The official rules a legal start of a dribble. Is the official correct?
- A-1, in the front court, passes the ball to A-2, who is in the frontcourt. A-2 muffs the ball and the ball hits an official who is standing on the division line. The ball rebounds back to A-2, who catches it without the ball touching the floor. The official rules a backcourt violation on team A. Is the official correct?
- A-1, who has completed his/her dribble, passes to A-2. A-2 unable to catch the ball, taps it back toward A-1. A-1 recovers the ball and starts a new dribble. The official rules this a double dribble. Is the official correct?
- A-1, while airborne, taps a pass to the floor, returns to the floor, catches the ball and then starts a dribble. The official rules this a double dribble. Is the offi cial correct?
- The ball is loose on the floor while team A is in control. A-1 commits a common foul on B-2. Team B is in the bonus. The offi cial rules a team control foul. Is the official correct?
- During A-1’s interrupted dribble, A-1 runs several steps past the ball then returns to get the ball. When A-1 returns to the ball, the ball is motionless on the floor. A-1 hits the ball with his/her hand to give the ball motion. The official rules a double dribble. Is the official correct?
- A-1’s pass from A’s backcourt hits a teammate who is in the frontcourt. The ball rebounds into the backcourt and is fi rst touched by A-1. The official rules this is not a backcourt violation because there was no player control in the frontcourt. Is the offi cial correct?
- During an alternating possession throw-in by team A, A-1’s throw-in is caught by both A-2 and B-2 causing a held ball. The official rules the possession arrow is to be turned and awards the ball to team B. Is the official correct?
- During an alternating possession throw-in, A-1 places the ball through the plane of the boundary line. B-1 grabs the ball and a held ball is ruled. The official awards the ball to team B ruling that when the ball was touched while over the line, the alternating possession procedure ended. Is the official correct?
- A-1, while chasing the ball during his/her interrupted dribble, steps on the boundary line. The offi cial rules A-1 has committed an out of bounds violation and awards the ball to team B. Is the official correct?
- Following a score by team B, A-1 throws the ball along the end line to A-2. A-1 then steps inbounds. A-1 steps back out of bounds and receives a return pass from A-2, then passes the ball inbounds to A-3. The sequence takes place in less than 5 seconds. The official rules a legal play. Is the official correct?