Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stuff you don't want to see while flying

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/879757-r...ow-comes-loose
    "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

Allow me a grapevinian ramble:

I saw another airplane traveling perpendicular to our direction while at cruising altitude on a recent flight. It was sort of mind blowing to see how fast it was traveling. I don't fly all that much, and when I do I usually get the aisle, so it was the first time i'd ever seen another airplane while flying.

I wish I could estimate how far away it was, but without anything to provide perspective, I have no idea. It was close enough that I could easily read the southwest on the tail of the plane, though. It seemed pretty close, quite frankly.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
      Allow me a grapevinian ramble:

I saw another airplane traveling perpendicular to our direction while at cruising altitude on a recent flight. It was sort of mind blowing to see how fast it was traveling. I don't fly all that much, and when I do I usually get the aisle, so it was the first time i'd ever seen another airplane while flying.

I wish I could estimate how far away it was, but without anything to provide perspective, I have no idea. It was close enough that I could easily read the southwest on the tail of the plane, though. It seemed pretty close, quite frankly.
      Are you sure that's what you mean? What kind of aircraft was it, a rocket?
      Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
        What do you think he means by "perpendicular"?
        "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
        "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
        This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
        "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
        "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Comment

I am pretty sure that's exactly what I mean. Your limited grasp of geometry is not surprising, however.
          Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Originally posted by Lost_Student View Post
            What do you think he means by "perpendicular"?
            Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
              I am pretty sure that's exactly what I mean. Your limited grasp of geometry is not surprising, however.
              Geometry is overrated.

Was it in front of you then? How much higher/lower? It seems totally crazy that flights with dissecting paths would be allowed to fly so close to each other (in terms of time).

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Geometry is overrated.

Was it in front of you then? How much higher/lower? It seems totally crazy that flights with dissecting paths would be allowed to fly so close to each other (in terms of time).
                I'll take this question as a tacit abandonment of your "perpendicular" silliness. Now that it's out of the way, I will agree that it seems totally crazy that flights with dissecting paths would pass that closely. If pressed for an estimate, I would estimate the airplane was approximately 1000'-1200' below us. As I said, I could clearly read the "Southwest" on the tail fin (or whatever that's called--aeronautics are overrated).

Comment

Yeah, that's no problem. They're required to maintain at least 1000 ft vertical separation up to 29,000 ft altitude, and 2000 ft vertical separation above that. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Separat...raffic_control)

Comment

I was once in a single-engine Cessna at about 5,000 feet and saw a Southwest 737 that was 2-3 miles away, but at the same altitude, on approach to a landing. The contrast between that jet's speed and ours was pretty impressive.
                    Last edited by LA Ute; 10-29-2011, 08:54 AM.
                    “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                    ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
                    -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
                    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

I would like to add male flight attendants and female flight attendants over the age of forty on this list of stuff I don't want to see while flying.

Comment

"Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Viking View Post
                            Is that for Shatner or the gremlin on the wing?

Comment

Originally posted by SCcoug View Post
                              Is that for Shatner or the gremlin on the wing?
                              Any form of shat on a plane is something I'd rather not see.

Gremlins, too.

Comment

Working...
                              X